The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Depth at Centre postion...

rb4u

We traded away a legit, up and coming center, for a winger. We did it at a time when 2 of our other centers had immediate and future injury concerns.

We acquired a veteran rental we knew wasn't gonna stick around.

We had little in the prospect pool.

It's not some big mystery.

No - mine is based on reality - what's yours?

And is it biased?

Cody currently has 8 goals and 9 assists, but is -4. That means the opposition has scored 21 times while he is on the ice - which is approximately 1/3 of all the goals scored against the Sabres are scored on them while Cody is on the ice.

Sorry, MG really screwed this one up. This wouldn't have been nearly as serious of a problem if Hodgson was still around, or at least got a decent centre back via trade or free agency.

The centre depth is unacceptable for a team that is supposed to contend for the cup. With Kesler out, the desperation grows.

Considering how it's probably Hank - Schroeder - Ebbett - Lapierre on Saturday, I can't say that I like the looks of things for the playoffs. L.A., who has been playing better now, has a very aggressive, physical center group that can score (Kopitar, Richards, Stoll) and inevitably they'll have to deal with some team like that in the playoffs. I think they should bump Higgins to play center just so they wouldn't get outmuscled too badly, for what it's worth. In the long run though, I think someone like Weiss or Goc should be traded for, just so the 2nd line would have a strong play making center (don't want Kesler in the middle anymore). As well, would love it if the team could get Smithson or someone like him who is big, good on face-offs and fitting into the Manny mold, capable of taking tough defensive assignments almost exclusively. Anything short of that (Playmaking, hopefully big, physical center and tough 4th line center on top of Lapierre) doesn't seem like enough depth, to me at least.

Yeah,not puzzling considering he is not an upgrade in any sense except skating prowess.

He is not better at fo`s ,he is not a better goal scorer and although Schroeder is adept at passing,so is Hodgson as Hodgson is creaming Shcroeder in both goals and assists.

In fact,Schroeder is not producing any where near the level that Hodgson was creating in his rookie year,when Hodgson was apparently being given soft minutes and select placements to `succeed`.

That is the truth,not the Hodgson hate.

Yay another Hodgson debate. Just what CDC needs.

I'd have to fundamentally disagree with your assessment - in my opinion grit, speed, defensive awareness, passing, forechecking - these would be definite senses in which he's an upgrade. Oh yeah, forgot to mention - he's younger and is a lower cap hit than Hodgson as well, and can be used in a greater range of circumstances - more versatile.

Hodgson shoots the puck better.

But really, calling an opinion that Schroeder is an upgrade "hate" is more embellishment than a Kesler dive.

Thank you, BD71.

I want Schroeder to succeed ,as well,but not at the expense of knocking another human being down in the process.

Jordan will stand on his own skates and be here or not based upon whether he can do it ,not if certain CDC members can knock Hodgson to make him look better on CDC.

Mason Raymond will be the team #2c tomorrow night vs. LA.

Hodgson had 4 goals and five assists in his first 18 games as a Canuck,almost a pure double of point production if Jordan goes pointless tomorrow night.

Thank you, BD71.

I want Schroeder to succeed ,as well,but not at the expense of knocking another human being down in the process.

Jordan will stand on his own skates and be here or not based upon whether he can do it ,not if certain CDC members can knock Hodgson to make him look better on CDC.

Mason Raymond will be the team #2c tomorrow night vs. LA.

Hodgson had 4 goals and five assists in his first 18 games as a Canuck,almost a pure double of point production if Jordan goes pointless tomorrow night.

Sedin - still here.

Kesler - if you remember he had issues last year and there were doubts about him most of the season.

Hodgson - We all know and have our own opinions about this.

Lapierre - still here, too big.

Malhotra - wasn't good last year either.

Ebbett - AHLmaterial.

Schroeder - wasn't as good last year.

Hodgson is the only big change.

Archived