Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Depth at Centre postion...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#31 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I hope we can bring in Goc he is the perfect #3c for our team not to take anything away from Schredder he's great but my feeling is that he would be better suited to the 2nd where he has offensive players to take his passes and make something out of them.

#32 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Hodgson was a good center for us last year? Really?

Was he a team player?
Did he play for the betterment of the team?

Or was he selfish?

More like MG was hoping Hodgson would play well so he could increase his trade value.

#33 van_ws

van_ws

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Sorry, MG really screwed this one up. This wouldn't have been nearly as serious of a problem if Hodgson was still around, or at least got a decent centre back via trade or free agency.

The centre depth is unacceptable for a team that is supposed to contend for the cup. With Kesler out, the desperation grows.

#34 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Two guys injured.
Schroeder - an upgrade - replaces Hodgson.
Not that puzzling really.

Yeah,not puzzling considering he is not an upgrade in any sense except skating prowess.
He is not better at fo`s ,he is not a better goal scorer and although Schroeder is adept at passing,so is Hodgson as Hodgson is creaming Shcroeder in both goals and assists.
In fact,Schroeder is not producing any where near the level that Hodgson was creating in his rookie year,when Hodgson was apparently being given soft minutes and select placements to `succeed`.
That is the truth,not the Hodgson hate.

#35 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Considering how it's probably Hank - Schroeder - Ebbett - Lapierre on Saturday, I can't say that I like the looks of things for the playoffs. L.A., who has been playing better now, has a very aggressive, physical center group that can score (Kopitar, Richards, Stoll) and inevitably they'll have to deal with some team like that in the playoffs. I think they should bump Higgins to play center just so they wouldn't get outmuscled too badly, for what it's worth. In the long run though, I think someone like Weiss or Goc should be traded for, just so the 2nd line would have a strong play making center (don't want Kesler in the middle anymore). As well, would love it if the team could get Smithson or someone like him who is big, good on face-offs and fitting into the Manny mold, capable of taking tough defensive assignments almost exclusively. Anything short of that (Playmaking, hopefully big, physical center and tough 4th line center on top of Lapierre) doesn't seem like enough depth, to me at least.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#36 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,134 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yeah,not puzzling considering he is not an upgrade in any sense except skating prowess.
He is not better at fo`s ,he is not a better goal scorer and although Schroeder is adept at passing,so is Hodgson as Hodgson is creaming Shcroeder in both goals and assists.
In fact,Schroeder is not producing any where near the level that Hodgson was creating in his rookie year,when Hodgson was apparently being given soft minutes and select placements to `succeed`.
That is the truth,not the Hodgson hate.

Yay another Hodgson debate. Just what CDC needs.
I'd have to fundamentally disagree with your assessment - in my opinion grit, speed, defensive awareness, passing, forechecking - these would be definite senses in which he's an upgrade. Oh yeah, forgot to mention - he's younger and is a lower cap hit than Hodgson as well, and can be used in a greater range of circumstances - more versatile.
Hodgson shoots the puck better.

But really, calling an opinion that Schroeder is an upgrade "hate" is more embellishment than a Kesler dive.

Edited by oldnews, 01 March 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#37 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

Yay another Hodgson debate. Just what CDC needs.
I'd have to fundamentally disagree with your assessment - in my opinion grit, speed, defensive awareness, passing, forechecking - these would be definite senses in which he's an upgrade. Oh yeah, forgot to mention - he's younger and is a lower cap hit than Hodgson as well, and can be used in a greater range of circumstances - more versatile.
Hodgson shoots the puck better.

But really, calling an opinion that Schroeder is an upgrade "hate" is more embellishment than a Kesler dive.

It seems to me you were fishing for a debate when you tossed in that Schroeder was an upgrade. I doubt many people in the hockey world would agree with you. As far as cap goes its minuscule on the difference and both are RFAs. Hopefully Schroeder can hire you as an agent because I would be shocked if he gets close to Hodgson money. And they are both 1990s. Same age.

I'd like to see Schroeder do well but the Canucks definitely need to do something to fix that C depth. It's not good compared to a lot of teams. Are you comfortable going into the playoffs with JS as your 3C? I doubt Alain Vigneault is.

#38 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

Thank you, BD71.
I want Schroeder to succeed ,as well,but not at the expense of knocking another human being down in the process.
Jordan will stand on his own skates and be here or not based upon whether he can do it ,not if certain CDC members can knock Hodgson to make him look better on CDC.
Mason Raymond will be the team #2c tomorrow night vs. LA.

Hodgson had 4 goals and five assists in his first 18 games as a Canuck,almost a pure double of point production if Jordan goes pointless tomorrow night.

#39 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Thank you, BD71.
I want Schroeder to succeed ,as well,but not at the expense of knocking another human being down in the process.
Jordan will stand on his own skates and be here or not based upon whether he can do it ,not if certain CDC members can knock Hodgson to make him look better on CDC.

Hodgson had 4 goals and five assists in his first 18 games as a Canuck,almost a pure double of point production if Jordan goes pointless tomorrow night.

If they were so high on Schroeder he wouldn't be playing between Weise and Sestito. They are so desperate for Center depth they are bringing in Raymond. It seems the confidence in Kassian is also going and he will not be promoted to the top line. Maybe this is a flaw in the philosophy but it also may just be that the coaching staff doesn't have confidence in the young players.

#40 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Sedin - still here.
Kesler - if you remember he had issues last year and there were doubts about him most of the season.
Hodgson - We all know and have our own opinions about this.
Lapierre - still here, too big.
Malhotra - wasn't good last year either.
Ebbett - AHLmaterial.
Schroeder - wasn't as good last year.

Hodgson is the only big change.

#41 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Higgins has played center before, I don't know why AV won't use him there instead of testing Burrows and Raymond at center.

Nevertheless MG has to go out and get us a center. Throw away our 1st or 2nd pick if he has to. Gagne was claimed for a 4th rounder and he was slumping, now rumour has it that Weiss is slumping and Florida are tanking, they'd happily take our picks. 2nd and 3rd rounders straight up for Weiss makes a lot more sense than people think - 2 early picks for a slumping player whose role is diminished thanks to new younger, better centers is a steal.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Raymond - Weiss - Schroeder
Hansen - Lapierre - Kassian
Sestito
Weise

Much better depth at center. 5 NHL centers in the lineup there is much better. Boston won the Cup with 7 centers in their lineup, L.A won it with 6, we need to get our numbers up there.
Posted Image

#42 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hodgson is gone so why are people still loving on this guy??? Move on

#43 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thank you, BD71.
Jordan will stand on his own skates and be here or not based upon whether he can do it ,not if  certain CDC members can knock Hodgson to make him look better on CDC.

Knocking another human being down huh..so what is Mike Gillis to you?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.