Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

DiPietro 'Kidding' about suicide comments......

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 kk0007

kk0007

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

pretty ridiculous...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417040

#2 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

That's retarded. Glad that clown is out of the NHL.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#3 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Really unfortunate. The guy really was a phenomenal goaltender, but the injuries really did a number on him. Made him look bad, but also made his contract look TERRIBLE. If he had been able to carry the Isles as the "franchise goalie" he was deemed to be, his contract would look pretty good. I really hope he works at it, and stays injury free, and gets another shot in the NHL before his career ultimately ends. The guy really does deserve it.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#4 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

POPULAR

Before anyone bashes him I bet most of us have said something similar many times.

Anyways I do feel bad for the guy, must be tough being out all the time with injury. It's not his fault the Crylanders offered him such a ridiculous contract.

#5 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

POPULAR

It's not his fault, it's the original reporter's fault for blowing his comments out of proportion. I'm pretty sure everyone has said jokingly "I'm going to kill myself" at one time or another - you know, like "If I fail this test/don't get this job/if this moron keeps talking, I'll kill myself" and such. It's a shame the first reporter, Kevin Maher, just wanted to get some attention by running that headline when it wasn't accurate at all.

Posted Image

3DS FC: 2664 3135 8148. Feel free to add me!

#6 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,762 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Actually in cases of suicide, when people mention it, even as a joke that's a warning sign. If I was Dipietro I'd get on that mindcheck website, or talk to a counsellor.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#7 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Actually in cases of suicide, when people mention it, even as a joke that's a warning sign. If I was Dipietro I'd get on that mindcheck website, or talk to a counsellor.

Honestly, that was my thought too. That's a pretty serious thing to say, especially to a journalist and not just to friends or family who would know you were kidding. The team needs to get him to talk to someone.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#8 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

unfortunately, mean spirited fans can't be forced out of watching hockey.

#9 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

He should be a little happy he can support his family for the rest of his life. There are more things than hockey in life too!
Posted Image

#10 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

This.

I mean c'mon you're suppose to be the face of a franchise, sign a lucrative contract, become an injury prone joke amongst the fans of the league? That'd be enough to drive a lot of people bonkers.

#11 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

@markhmasters: Garth Snow statement on DiPietro: 'We are aware of Rick’s comments & the severity of them'; will handle it internally

Hopefully that means they will have him talk to someone.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#12 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

People always say it... not a big deal. He's loaded and has a stress free job. He's prolly happier than 99.8% of the worlds population
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#13 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

People always say it... not a big deal. He's loaded and has a stress free job. He's prolly happier than 99.8% of the worlds population

You can't be serious? He was drafted first overall, made the NHL, expected to be the savior of the Islander's franchise, and played 150 games in seven seasons do to injury?
Formerly FANHL GM of NYR

#14 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

It's not his fault, it's the original reporter's fault for blowing his comments out of proportion. I'm pretty sure everyone has said jokingly "I'm going to kill myself" at one time or another - you know, like "If I fail this test/don't get this job/if this moron keeps talking, I'll kill myself" and such. It's a shame the first reporter, Kevin Maher, just wanted to get some attention by running that headline when it wasn't accurate at all.

Not sure if your new to this media crap. Thats what they do best. It's exactly what happened to us in the Stanley cup finals when the media blocked out the part were Luongo said, "He can make some saves I can't" but made a big deal out of, I can make some saves he can't. How bout the "We;ll win" comment by Daniel Sedin? Stupid media blocked out the "if we play our game we'll win." They do that. Mean spirited fans? have you visited hfboard.com? That's what you call mean spirited.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#15 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,331 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

I agree - especially with the suicides / mental awareness in sports lately...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#16 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,331 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Maybe...maybe not....just because you got money doesn't mean you're happy...

https://www.dana.org...p.aspx?id=39354

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#17 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

You can't be serious? He was drafted first overall, made the NHL, expected to be the savior of the Islander's franchise, and played 150 games in seven seasons do to injury?

In my job if I don't perform well ill get canned and I won't b able to keep a roof over my head.

In his job he can suck all he wants and he can live extremely comfortably.

#18 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

In my job if I don't perform well ill get canned and I won't b able to keep a roof over my head.

In his job he can suck all he wants and he can live extremely comfortably.

Didn't realize other people's jealousy was a defense against mental health issues, or even just basic human emotions...
Go, Canucks, Go!

#19 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Didn't realize other people's jealousy was a defense against mental health issues, or even just basic human emotions...

If that's the way u process what I said then so be it. Work stress is pressure to put a roof on ur head. If that's covered the stress is FAR less

#20 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Well, he got overly emotional and said some inappropriate stuff. Who wouldn't get upset when that happens to you. Not defending him, but I understand to a certain degree.

Snow said it would be handled internally, at it has been done. He now came out and said it was a joke. Weak cover-up, but a cover-up none the less. Not much more you can do as the $hit hit the fan already...
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#21 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

If that's the way u process what I said then so be it. Work stress is pressure to put a roof on ur head. If that's covered the stress is FAR less

That maybe your definition of work stress but it's not everyone's. And simply not having to worry about putting a roof over your head does not exempt people from having stress.

Don't get me wrong, I know from experience worrying that having a place to live and food to eat is a major stress, but it's overly simplistic to assume that if someone doesn't have that particular stress their life must just be better at all times and their stress must be less important, less real, or less heavy.

I know of a great example: A guy that works with my spouse could not be more stressed about work if he needed it to pay his mortgage. (He doesn’t “need” the money because he and his wife own some rental property, spend responsibly, and he does a lot of work on their vehicles and rental properties himself to save money.) But, he's just been majorly screwed at work after having worked his butt off running a major project (and receiving a glowing review for his work!) Though he was all but promised the job, which he’s obviously more qualified to do, as soon as this one major project was done someone in the organization overruled the previous plan of his boss and instead decided to just keep a known incompetent and give them the job. But, everyone knows that person isn't qualified or able to do what this other guy can, so they basically still want him to do this massive job but without the recognition, power or pay, and all the while doing his old job on top of it. He's literally so stressed he looks ill and everyone who knows him and all of the people who work under him aren't feeling too much better about it themselves because they know how majorly screwed he just got and what that means for them all. Point is, there are other factors that can make someone majorly stressed at or about work, not just money issues. Life's way more complicated than that.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#22 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Bad timing with the whole Mindcheck and mental health issue discussion going on right now.

Suicide is something to never be joked about, even in a tongue and cheek manner.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#23 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

That maybe your definition of work stress but it's not everyone's. And simply not having to worry about putting a roof over your head does not exempt people from having stress.

Don't get me wrong, I know from experience worrying that having a place to live and food to eat is a major stress, but it's overly simplistic to assume that if someone doesn't have that particular stress their life must just be better at all times and their stress must be less important, less real, or less heavy.

I know of a great example: A guy that works with my spouse could not be more stressed about work if he needed it to pay his mortgage. (He doesn’t “need” the money because he and his wife own some rental property, spend responsibly, and he does a lot of work on their vehicles and rental properties himself to save money.) But, he's just been majorly screwed at work after having worked his butt off running a major project (and receiving a glowing review for his work!) Though he was all but promised the job, which he’s obviously more qualified to do, as soon as this one major project was done someone in the organization overruled the previous plan of his boss and instead decided to just keep a known incompetent and give them the job. But, everyone knows that person isn't qualified or able to do what this other guy can, so they basically still want him to do this massive job but without the recognition, power or pay, and all the while doing his old job on top of it. He's literally so stressed he looks ill and everyone who knows him and all of the people who work under him aren't feeling too much better about it themselves because they know how majorly screwed he just got and what that means for them all. Point is, there are other factors that can make someone majorly stressed at or about work, not just money issues. Life's way more complicated than that.

Hmmm I guess u have a point but at the end of the day I'm still pretty sure he's joking. I can't think of too many people that wouldn't want to trade places with dipietro.

#24 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,442 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Had a lot of people over reacting, and rightfully so. It's a serious claim to make
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#25 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

TSN Quote: "DiPietro admitted that the mounting injuries, losses and hatred from fans over the last three years has caused him to contemplate committing suicide."

Come on Rick. The fans don't hate you. They have been really supportive of his situation in a lot of ways. I can prove it. Check out this clip.

DP!! DP!! They love the guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKfvMzGgAj4

Edited by Mustapha, 28 February 2013 - 06:41 PM.

Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#26 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Imagine if he played here.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#27 fourminute

fourminute

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

don't die dipi !
Posted Image

#28 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

You are taking this way to serious , Dipetro has a off colour sense of humour so what get over it

Edited by ccc44, 28 February 2013 - 07:10 PM.

Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#29 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

You are taking this way to serious , Dipetro has a off colour sense of humour so what get over it

Oh, didn't realize you knew him personally and were able to vouch for his comments being simply a joke and not something that should be taken more serious in the interest of his wellbeing.

And if he was kidding, he's incredibly insensitive, especially given all of the actual suicides of pro athletes in the last few years. I seriously doubt their families think that "joke" is funny in the slightest!

Edited by poetica, 28 February 2013 - 07:15 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#30 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,982 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Worst contract ever?

307mg00.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.