The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

DiPietro 'Kidding' about suicide comments......

kk0007

That maybe your definition of work stress but it's not everyone's. And simply not having to worry about putting a roof over your head does not exempt people from having stress.

Don't get me wrong, I know from experience worrying that having a place to live and food to eat is a major stress, but it's overly simplistic to assume that if someone doesn't have that particular stress their life must just be better at all times and their stress must be less important, less real, or less heavy.

I know of a great example: A guy that works with my spouse could not be more stressed about work if he needed it to pay his mortgage. (He doesn’t “need” the money because he and his wife own some rental property, spend responsibly, and he does a lot of work on their vehicles and rental properties himself to save money.) But, he's just been majorly screwed at work after having worked his butt off running a major project (and receiving a glowing review for his work!) Though he was all but promised the job, which he’s obviously more qualified to do, as soon as this one major project was done someone in the organization overruled the previous plan of his boss and instead decided to just keep a known incompetent and give them the job. But, everyone knows that person isn't qualified or able to do what this other guy can, so they basically still want him to do this massive job but without the recognition, power or pay, and all the while doing his old job on top of it. He's literally so stressed he looks ill and everyone who knows him and all of the people who work under him aren't feeling too much better about it themselves because they know how majorly screwed he just got and what that means for them all. Point is, there are other factors that can make someone majorly stressed at or about work, not just money issues. Life's way more complicated than that.

TSN Quote: "DiPietro admitted that the mounting injuries, losses and hatred from fans over the last three years has caused him to contemplate committing suicide."

Come on Rick. The fans don't hate you. They have been really supportive of his situation in a lot of ways. I can prove it. Check out this clip.

DP!! DP!! They love the guy.

Oh, didn't realize you knew him personally and were able to vouch for his comments being simply a joke and not something that should be taken more serious in the interest of his wellbeing.

And if he was kidding, he's incredibly insensitive, especially given all of the actual suicides of pro athletes in the last few years. I seriously doubt their families think that "joke" is funny in the slightest!

Oh, didn't realize you knew him personally and were able to vouch for his comments being simply a joke and not something that should be taken more serious in the interest of his wellbeing.

And if he was kidding, he's incredibly insensitive, especially given all of the actual suicides of pro athletes in the last few years. I seriously doubt their families think that "joke" is funny in the slightest!

I actually just saw the interview live and it was an emotional one which I didn't think it was from the article. Still I think he just said it and wasn't serious but I definitely feel for the guy.

He also added he has a great wife who has helped hom through it. As long as he has support he should be fine. You never know he might make it back in the NHL

Standard fare media and fans being overly sensitive. Dash in a little selective clipping and we have this crap-stew of a non-issue.

How many of you have said something similar after experiencing a bad day in jest? Getting pretty tired of the PC movement.

That said, he has good reason to be depressed as any person would be. Nobody wants a situation like Rypiens to repeat. He probably should seek some perspective from a professional.

Archived