43 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Has anyone played these games before ? I haven't played any of them, but I'm into games like Fallout, Borderlands, Elder Scrolls, Far Cry 3, Dead Island, etc. They've recently released all 3 in a bundle, would it be worth while for me to pick up ? If it's not comparable to a game I mentioned, what game would you compare it to ?

#2 EvilDrvr

EvilDrvr

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

They are really good, with replay value. Pretty tough to compare it directly to something, but if you've ever played the Witcher II then its similar due to the morality choices. Maybe also to Fallout or Dragon age

#3 Canuck222

Canuck222

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

YES!!!! I've played an enjoy all the games you mentioned (also I love halo and despise call of duty) and the Mass Effect series is definitely worth getting. I had just as much fun playing it as I did with the Fallout and Elder Scroll series, and I would argue it has a better storyline than the games you mentioned combined :)

#4 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

They are really good, with replay value. Pretty tough to compare it directly to something, but if you've ever played the Witcher II then its similar due to the morality choices. Maybe also to Fallout or Dragon age

I did enjoy the morality of Fallout, it basically allows you to play the game 2 completely different ways. I never did like the Dragon Age series, but you're only comparing it to that in a game play manner and not actually in similarities. I've actually gone ahead and ordered it. It's $60 for the 3 of them. I probably could have bought them all used for cheaper but, meh, at least I have a nice bundle.

#5 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

its a good series, but personally i didn't find much replay value in it. However I would still recommend it to anyone interested in shooter/rpg
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Next question.... I recall hearing you import your character attributes from game to game. Is this true ? Is it worth grinding and maxing out my character in 1 and 2 ?

#7 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I can sell you all 3 games of the ME series for Xbox - I know it's illegal trying to sell things on here, so I won't name a price, just trying to do you a favour.

As for the games themselves, a very entertaining series, and it varies in play style from 1-3. It's more of a 3rd person shooter, but you can't win battles unless you co-ordinate with your team mates and fellow characters.

Yes, you can import your player, and the decisions you make in previous games stack upon the storyline, which is awesome. My favourite was easily the 2nd, just due to the complexity of the characters. ME 3 seemed rushed.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

KOTOR rings a bell
Posted Image

#9 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Next question.... I recall hearing you import your character attributes from game to game. Is this true ? Is it worth grinding and maxing out my character in 1 and 2 ?

Maxing out probably isn't necessary, but importing is very valuable. Not only do you get experience and credit boosts at the beginning of the next game, but decisions will also carry over which makes it 1 big universe you shape through 3 games

edit: I should add that I've played through all 3 and imported characters from each, but also started "fresh" with new characters in 2 and 3

Edited by canucklax, 28 February 2013 - 02:50 PM.

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#10 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I can sell you all 3 games of the ME series for Xbox - I know it's illegal trying to sell things on here, so I won't name a price, just trying to do you a favour.

As for the games themselves, a very entertaining series, and it varies in play style from 1-3. It's more of a 3rd person shooter, but you can't win battles unless you co-ordinate with your team mates and fellow characters.

Yes, you can import your player, and the decisions you make in previous games stack upon the storyline, which is awesome. My favourite was easily the 2nd, just due to the complexity of the characters. ME 3 seemed rushed.

I've already ordered them. I wanted them on PS3 anyways.

#11 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

its basically KOTOR but not a star wars plotline. Same type of gameplay in almost every way. However, personally I think KOTOR was a way better game, even if the graphics wernt as good. Just my opinion though. ME is still worth playing
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#12 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

The first 2 games were great. The third one sucks all different kinds of balls. Was my favourite series before hand, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone anymore. Been doing the opposite actually.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#13 Bork Laser

Bork Laser

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

The first 2 games were great. The third one sucks all different kinds of balls. Was my favourite series before hand, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone anymore. Been doing the opposite actually.

I love your criticism for this series :P

formyhunny.gif

Credit to Twilight Sparkle

#14 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

I love your criticism for this series :P

It's a special kind of suck that third game achieves.

#15 ghjffbali

ghjffbali

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

Basically all the decisions in the past games will make an impact in the future games.

#16 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

Basically all the decisions in the past games will make an impact in the future games.

Except that they don't at all.

#17 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

Except that they don't at all.

Yeah they do

Spoiler

Edited by canucklax, 03 March 2013 - 12:56 AM.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#18 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

Yeah they do

Spoiler

Spoiler

This game goes out of it's way to make sure there's minimal direct impact from what decisions were made. At best they try to pretend the choices matter, and at their worst they ignore them altogether. It does whatever it wants, whenever it wants, regardless of what was implied by your choices. All the holes that could have been opened by variations are plugged in by cheap stopgaps. No replacement/alternate quests. One not so big, and linear as hell game.

And then... That ending... lol. Can't even begin to get into that.

I don't go out of my way to trash games, but this one does the speaking for itself. It's just trash. Thwarts all the ambition that was present in the first 2 games. Minimalizes all the openness of the choices you made, and sometimes inadvertently contradicts the running themes that were present.

I had fairly high expectations going into the game, but even so, I don't know if it was possible for me to be any more underwhelmed by this lazy game. I would rather recommend something like "The Witcher" which goes out of it's way to respect player choices and make them relevant, instead of finding ways of insulting my intelligence and the level of my attention span like Bioware had managed.

I would recommend some older Bioware games like Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, or Dragon Age: Origins (my personal favourite). I'd even have heavily recommended Mass Effect 1 and 2 if they weren't so heavily tied into the third game. All flash, zero substance.

#19 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Spoiler

This game goes out of it's way to make sure there's minimal direct impact from what decisions were made. At best they try to pretend the choices matter, and at their worst they ignore them altogether. It does whatever it wants, whenever it wants, regardless of what was implied by your choices. All the holes that could have been opened by variations are plugged in by cheap stopgaps. No replacement/alternate quests. One not so big, and linear as hell game.

I don't go out of my way to trash games, but this one does the speaking for itself. It's just trash. Thwarts all the ambition that was present in the first 2 games. Minimalizes all the openness of the choices you made, and sometimes inadvertently contradicts the running themes that were present.

I had fairly high expectations going into the game, but even so, I don't know if it was possible for me to be any more underwhelmed by this lazy game. I would rather recommend something like "The Witcher" which goes out of it's way to respect player choices and make them relevant, instead of finding ways of insulting my intelligence and the level of my attention span like Bioware had managed.

I would recommend some older Bioware games like Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, or Dragon Age: Origins (my personal favourite). I'd even have heavily recommended Mass Effect 1 and 2 if they weren't so heavily tied into the third game. All flash, zero substance.

I think you expect too much out of the decisions, its just not possible for them to write the game to include every scenario of every choice the character had made over the 2 previous games. That being said, look back at what you wrote and each decision will have at least 2 different outcomes based on the choices the character made. those "bs war points" are the quantitative advantage in the 3rd game, not just a number, which affects the outcome. Yes the original ending was terrible, but if you download the expanded ending thing(which I 100% recommend) it provides closure. I also feel there may have been too high of expectations placed on the game, but if you judge it purely on its own it is a great game.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#20 ghjffbali

ghjffbali

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Spoiler

I see you were upset about ME3's endings XD

Posted Image

#21 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I see you were upset about ME3's endings XD

Posted Image

Took me like 3 minutes to get this. Man that was clever.
Posted Image

#22 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

Took me like 3 minutes to get this. Man that was clever.

I don't get it.... But I've never played it.

#23 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

I think you expect too much out of the decisions, its just not possible for them to write the game to include every scenario of every choice the character had made over the 2 previous games. That being said, look back at what you wrote and each decision will have at least 2 different outcomes based on the choices the character made. those "bs war points" are the quantitative advantage in the 3rd game, not just a number, which affects the outcome. Yes the original ending was terrible, but if you download the expanded ending thing(which I 100% recommend) it provides closure. I also feel there may have been too high of expectations placed on the game, but if you judge it purely on its own it is a great game.

It's not just any scenario. It's every scenario. That's what I have an issue with. I didn't expect them to deal with everything, but the way they swept everything aside was not cool.

And I've seen games do the job properly. Older bioware games did. Dragon Age Origins had largely fleshed out alternatives. And a supposedly comprable game like The Witcher 2 had an entirely separate story-line that went entirely different ways depending on what you did. To compare what that game manages to do, with all the effort that the Mass Effect team managed to avoid doing, it's amazing really.

It can be done, it has been done. I just don't appreciate it when someone pretends to try. Those choices are meaningless when you can do whatever, and the game does whatever.

And those BS war point do not offer any advantage whatsoever. There's no real manner in which you can't accumlate enough of them. It's not really possible. It doens't matter if you pick up a few here in there because they generically amass, easily cross the threshold, and offer barely anything in return. To simply turn a decision into something about a few war points is indeed BS.

And the ending is still garbage, lol. Simply adding 10 minutes to the same conclusion doesn't help any. The ending makes the already pointless linear journey, even more pointless and linear. I have nothing kind to say about ending. Nothing at all. I would say it destroyed the series for me, but that would be understating it, and not taking into account that the rest of the third game ruined the series for me as well. 'Tis crap.

#24 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

^What would you prefer the ending to be?

Dragon Age origins was similar in its endings, where the player decides one of 3 paths to end the game

Edited by canucklax, 04 March 2013 - 12:05 PM.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#25 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Just let Marauder Shields kill you at the end.

Posted Image

#26 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

I don't get it.... But I've never played it.

You bought them, right? You will get it, I guarantee it.
Posted Image

#27 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

^What would you prefer the ending to be?

Dragon Age origins was similar in its endings, where the player decides one of 3 paths to end the game

What would I have preferred the ending to be? Essentially almost anything other than it was. I've come across enough sci-fi in the past that I've seen my fair-share of pseudo-metaphysical bull from hack writers come wannabe philosophers, but this is by far the worst.

Dragon Age Origins gives you an in depth write-up of how all your decisions impacted the future of the nation. All Mass Effect 3 did was hit the reset button on everything to give an easy and lazy set up to Mass Effect 4.

But again, it's not just the ending. It's the whole game that lags. It's just a linear line that everyone is forced down. There are couple of decent and even great story moments that showed up here and again, but it's overwhelmed by a reliance on cheap shock emotion and shallow and often illogical plot development all around. And even the good moments aren't allowed to matter in the grand scheme of things by the end.

#28 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Hey hey hey! Yeah, ME3 sucked worse than getting a lobotomy, but that doesn't mean the first two aren't still awesome and fun to play. :P

I played ME3 once and it was crap I've played ME2 three times since and it's still awesome.

You bought them, right? You will get it, I guarantee it.

I've played and beaten all three and I don't get it...

Then again, I am pretty slow...

Mentally...

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 06 March 2013 - 11:02 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#29 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

The dragon age endings were a bit more epic in decision making. You could sacrifice yourself, someone else or no one based of some decisions you made and if you kept and helped certain companions.

ME3? Doesn't matter what you do. It all funnels to the same end. It's to the point that just don't do the endings. I just get to the last mission and my work here is done. On the positive side, the game plays very well, especially if you want to make unorthodox characters (No nova Claymore shotgun Vanguard) (Drone master Wraith shotgun Engineer)

Just
that ending......

sucks

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#30 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

did you say the game plays very well?

*waits for gbass*
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.