The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mass Effect series

Captain Bob

Has anyone played these games before ? I haven't played any of them, but I'm into games like Fallout, Borderlands, Elder Scrolls, Far Cry 3, Dead Island, etc. They've recently released all 3 in a bundle, would it be worth while for me to pick up ? If it's not comparable to a game I mentioned, what game would you compare it to ?

YES!!!! I've played an enjoy all the games you mentioned (also I love halo and despise call of duty) and the Mass Effect series is definitely worth getting. I had just as much fun playing it as I did with the Fallout and Elder Scroll series, and I would argue it has a better storyline than the games you mentioned combined :)

They are really good, with replay value. Pretty tough to compare it directly to something, but if you've ever played the Witcher II then its similar due to the morality choices. Maybe also to Fallout or Dragon age

I did enjoy the morality of Fallout, it basically allows you to play the game 2 completely different ways. I never did like the Dragon Age series, but you're only comparing it to that in a game play manner and not actually in similarities. I've actually gone ahead and ordered it. It's $60 for the 3 of them. I probably could have bought them all used for cheaper but, meh, at least I have a nice bundle.

I can sell you all 3 games of the ME series for Xbox - I know it's illegal trying to sell things on here, so I won't name a price, just trying to do you a favour.

As for the games themselves, a very entertaining series, and it varies in play style from 1-3. It's more of a 3rd person shooter, but you can't win battles unless you co-ordinate with your team mates and fellow characters.

Yes, you can import your player, and the decisions you make in previous games stack upon the storyline, which is awesome. My favourite was easily the 2nd, just due to the complexity of the characters. ME 3 seemed rushed.

I can sell you all 3 games of the ME series for Xbox - I know it's illegal trying to sell things on here, so I won't name a price, just trying to do you a favour.

As for the games themselves, a very entertaining series, and it varies in play style from 1-3. It's more of a 3rd person shooter, but you can't win battles unless you co-ordinate with your team mates and fellow characters.

Yes, you can import your player, and the decisions you make in previous games stack upon the storyline, which is awesome. My favourite was easily the 2nd, just due to the complexity of the characters. ME 3 seemed rushed.

I've already ordered them. I wanted them on PS3 anyways.

its basically KOTOR but not a star wars plotline. Same type of gameplay in almost every way. However, personally I think KOTOR was a way better game, even if the graphics wernt as good. Just my opinion though. ME is still worth playing

The first 2 games were great. The third one sucks all different kinds of balls. Was my favourite series before hand, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone anymore. Been doing the opposite actually.

Rachni: Doesn't matter what you chose in the first game. The Rachni come back either way. The point of the choice when you made it was supposed to be whether you decide to play god and doom the species to extinction by killing their queen.

The third game decides that even if you killed her, there's a secret second queen that no one knew about that they can exploit.

They need to shoehorn in the rachni mission and rachni enemy types into the game regardless of whether or not they're supposed to exist.

Original queen can give you some BS war points that have no bearing on anything, and the second secret one won't help.

Big whoop, lol.

Geth vs. Quarians: If you played a particularly stupid game, you may have missed the triggers for the peace option. But you can play all three games being purely pro-geth, and then decide to wipe them out anyways because you feel like it. It's irrelevant what you did beforehand.

Council vs. Humanity: The choice at the end of the first game? If you save them you get the same council obviously. If you let the council die they get replaced by a new council of the exact same races, that say and do almost the exact same things that the original council did anyways.

Wrex: That is a difference, but his brother steps into the same role. His brother being less hopeful may impact your decision, and that's kind of cool. But Wrex could be dead, and you can still do the cure. Mordin being the supposed martyr for the cure could be dead, and you can still pull of the cure. Hell, you could have destroyed the cure research data in the second game after which a cure was supposed to be insurmountable to create... But you can still pull off the cure without any repercussions. Basically regardless of any stances you took, things you said, or actions you took, you can decide to cure or doom their race however you wish at the last moment.

Collector Base: I'm not even sure what's being implied that matters here. Whether you chose to save the base gets you a few of those BS war points, without explaining how or why any of it helps. Symbolically pledging your allegiance or defiance of Cerberus is absolutely irrelevant because they're forced to play the villains in the third game regardless.

If you were instead talking about the life and death of your friends, all your partners in the second game are given minimal side roles in the third game. Side roles in side quests in which case that if they had died, they get replaced by characters in the same role doing the same thing, so that the side quest runs the exact same way without a hitch.

This game goes out of it's way to make sure there's minimal direct impact from what decisions were made. At best they try to pretend the choices matter, and at their worst they ignore them altogether. It does whatever it wants, whenever it wants, regardless of what was implied by your choices. All the holes that could have been opened by variations are plugged in by cheap stopgaps. No replacement/alternate quests. One not so big, and linear as hell game.

And then... That ending... lol. Can't even begin to get into that.

I don't go out of my way to trash games, but this one does the speaking for itself. It's just trash. Thwarts all the ambition that was present in the first 2 games. Minimalizes all the openness of the choices you made, and sometimes inadvertently contradicts the running themes that were present.

I had fairly high expectations going into the game, but even so, I don't know if it was possible for me to be any more underwhelmed by this lazy game. I would rather recommend something like "The Witcher" which goes out of it's way to respect player choices and make them relevant, instead of finding ways of insulting my intelligence and the level of my attention span like Bioware had managed.

I would recommend some older Bioware games like Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, or Dragon Age: Origins (my personal favourite). I'd even have heavily recommended Mass Effect 1 and 2 if they weren't so heavily tied into the third game. All flash, zero substance.

Rachni: Doesn't matter what you chose in the first game. The Rachni come back either way. The point of the choice when you made it was supposed to be whether you decide to play god and doom the species to extinction by killing their queen.

The third game decides that even if you killed her, there's a secret second queen that no one knew about that they can exploit.

They need to shoehorn in the rachni mission and rachni enemy types into the game regardless of whether or not they're supposed to exist.

Original queen can give you some BS war points that have no bearing on anything, and the second secret one won't help.

Big whoop, lol.

Geth vs. Quarians: If you played a particularly stupid game, you may have missed the triggers for the peace option. But you can play all three games being purely pro-geth, and then decide to wipe them out anyways because you feel like it. It's irrelevant what you did beforehand.

Council vs. Humanity: The choice at the end of the first game? If you save them you get the same council obviously. If you let the council die they get replaced by a new council of the exact same races, that say and do almost the exact same things that the original council did anyways.

Wrex: That is a difference, but his brother steps into the same role. His brother being less hopeful may impact your decision, and that's kind of cool. But Wrex could be dead, and you can still do the cure. Mordin being the supposed martyr for the cure could be dead, and you can still pull of the cure. Hell, you could have destroyed the cure research data in the second game after which a cure was supposed to be insurmountable to create... But you can still pull off the cure without any repercussions. Basically regardless of any stances you took, things you said, or actions you took, you can decide to cure or doom their race however you wish at the last moment.

Collector Base: I'm not even sure what's being implied that matters here. Whether you chose to save the base gets you a few of those BS war points, without explaining how or why any of it helps. Symbolically pledging your allegiance or defiance of Cerberus is absolutely irrelevant because they're forced to play the villains in the third game regardless.

If you were instead talking about the life and death of your friends, all your partners in the second game are given minimal side roles in the third game. Side roles in side quests in which case that if they had died, they get replaced by characters in the same role doing the same thing, so that the side quest runs the exact same way without a hitch.

This game goes out of it's way to make sure there's minimal direct impact from what decisions were made. At best they try to pretend the choices matter, and at their worst they ignore them altogether. It does whatever it wants, whenever it wants, regardless of what was implied by your choices. All the holes that could have been opened by variations are plugged in by cheap stopgaps. No replacement/alternate quests. One not so big, and linear as hell game.

And then... That ending... lol. Can't even begin to get into that.

I don't go out of my way to trash games, but this one does the speaking for itself. It's just trash. Thwarts all the ambition that was present in the first 2 games. Minimalizes all the openness of the choices you made, and sometimes inadvertently contradicts the running themes that were present.

I had fairly high expectations going into the game, but even so, I don't know if it was possible for me to be any more underwhelmed by this lazy game. I would rather recommend something like "The Witcher" which goes out of it's way to respect player choices and make them relevant, instead of finding ways of insulting my intelligence and the level of my attention span like Bioware had managed.

I would recommend some older Bioware games like Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, or Dragon Age: Origins (my personal favourite). I'd even have heavily recommended Mass Effect 1 and 2 if they weren't so heavily tied into the third game. All flash, zero substance.

Archived