249 replies to this topic

#61 JollyJet

JollyJet

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

Dix when busted did not raise previous scandals and claim as others have done wrong it somehow lessens his wrongs - he took responsibility. Our current leaders supporters are seeming to want to blame mistakes of others in the past as reasons not to

Pretty sure Dix denied any wrong doing. It wasn't until later he admitted to it.

#62 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Go Green! :ph34r:

I heard the "Sex" and "Work Less" parties are on the up and up.
How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#63 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

The Liberals doing an internal investigation itself in this scandal is pretty ludicrous isn't it? Kinda like asking Sonny Corleone to investigate Vito Corleone and report if he finds any inappropriate or illegal activites within the Corleone family. LMAO

Hey, I didn't know that you were Minister Coleman! Good job guy, between you and Shirley Bond you've got basically every portfolio in government now. How's about giving me a job, since you're such a .90 caliber these days?

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#64 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Pretty much a vote on the lesser of two evils.
Posted Image

#65 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Pretty much a vote on the lesser of two evils.

How so? Vote for a different party if you think both the NDP and the Liberals are evil.

#66 J529

J529

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Still a MILF, though

Sounds like you would vote for her because in your view she's hot. Sadly, there are others out there would also vote for her based on that alone. People like that don't deserve the right to vote. I'm sorry.

Btw, she isn't hot at all.

Edited by J529, 02 March 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#67 J529

J529

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Anyone who actually believes her apology and meant it. Give your head a shake. She's only sorry that she got caught. This whole issue had to go through the Premier's office and she has to ok it. Political Insiders are saying she was forced by her caucus to issue the apology. It wasn't her idea. She was too scared and chicken crap that she had Coleman deliver the apology in the house. Gotta love ones like Bell who are implicated in shady dealings and when questioned about it, they respond "I don't recall any meetings", etc. Yeah, right. In Bell's case we now know why he's stepping away and using a Medical Condition as a cover.

12 years is enough of the BC Liars of ruining this province and British Columbian lives. They need to get decimated, deserve 1 seat and not be recognized as the official opposition and give them a office in the brom casket - Do exactly what they did to the NDP, when they got wiped out. Payback is a bitch.

Christy can go crawling back to CKNW to be with her sugar daddy Bill Good. For someone that is suppose to be highly intelligent and a great leader, sure isn't very bright at all. I will give her credit for being a world class liar. Because she is. Look at her eyes when she talks and tongue twists her words.

Edited by J529, 03 March 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#68 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

And here we go...

http://www.vancouver...7464/story.html

VICTORIA — Premier Christy Clark’s deputy chief of staff, who was involved in circulating a widely denounced memo plotting a B.C. Liberal strategy to woo ethnic voters, resigned late Friday.

“Today, I accepted the resignation of Kim Haakstad,” Clark said in a brief written statement.

“Kim reached her decision after much consideration of her roles and responsibilities,” she added. “Consistent with circumstances of resignations, no severance payment applies.”

Haakstad has been at Clark’s side for more than a decade, working as her executive assistant, and then ministerial assistant, during Clark’s early days in provincial politics.

Haakstad became executive director of the Alliance of Beverage Licensees during Clark’s political hiatus, but returned as a key figure in Clark’s failed run for the Non-Partisan Association mayoral nomination in Vancouver, and again during Clark’s successful bid for the B.C. Liberal leadership.

Haakstad’s resignation was announced four hours after the government released details about the conduct of an internal investigation launched by Clark on Thursday.

The investigation, to be conducted by four senior civil servants, promises to determine whether taxpayer dollars have been misappropriated, or whether anyone in Clark’s government had breached the Public Service Act.

Some in Clark’s cabinet were not convinced Friday’s moves would be enough, saying before the news of Haakstad’s resignation that they expected Clark to take “appropriate action.”

“My colleagues and I are certainly looking for an explanation about the announcement regarding the investigation,” Minister of Social Development Moira Stilwell told The Vancouver Sun early Friday afternoon.

“You can see the situation breaks into two separate issues. One is that staff clearly contemplated doing things that weren’t just wrong but were offensive and inappropriate and potentially illegal,” she said.

“That doesn’t require an investigation. That requires action.”

She said that in addition to immediate disciplinary action, she supports a thorough investigation to root out systemic issues that allowed the memo to be created and circulated.

Stilwell said she believes Clark had been let down by her staff, and appeared to signal that the caucus and cabinet was watching Clark’s moves as closely as was the Opposition and the public.

“She (Clark) is above this and I think she needs to take action to make sure people see that,” said Stilwell.

Other B.C. Liberal MLAs made similar calls for accountability early Friday afternoon.

“What I personally think, and what most British Columbians think, is that (the people) who have done this should be dismissed,” said MLA Dave Hayer.

“First of all you can’t cross the line between government funding and political parties — we have always been clear that government and the party should stay away (from each other) — and also we should not be involved in trying to have quick wins to get some votes.”

Speaking to reporters earlier in the day in Prince George on Friday, Clark gave no signal of the coming resignation, or that she was poised to take any immediate actions.

“Things happen in politics. People make mistakes and they make bad judgment calls and clearly that’s happened at the staff level,” said Clark, when asked point blank if Haakstad should be fired for her role in distributing the document.

“We sure do want to get to the bottom of it because everyone in the public service needs to know you cannot mix public money and partisan purposes. It didn’t happen in this case, but somebody way down the chain apparently thought that it could, and that was wrong.”

Made public by the New Democratic Party during question period on Wednesday, the memo in question laid out a detailed and blunt strategy for how the B.C. Liberal government could use its taxpayer-funded resources to help the B.C. Liberal Party win over ethnic voters during the coming election.

On Friday evening, NDP house leader John Horgan said Haakstad’s resignation displays “an acknowledgment that this is a serious problem.

“I’ve been trying to hear some contrition from the premier to this point in time, and I’ve yet to hear it,” he added.

“Certainly Ms. Haakstad has been at the epicentre of this and her resignation is a demonstration of the seriousness of the issue.”

Horgan added he is concerned the terms of reference for the coming investigation released Friday did not include a reference to announcements such as that by Clark that B.C. will host the Times of India Film Awards.

“I didn’t see any direct reference to the Bollywood awards show,” he said.

“If it was a result of the multicultural strategy then I think the public should know about that. That’s certainly my hunch and that doesn’t seem to be captured in the scope.”

Meanwhile, in Richmond Friday, the political damage done by the leaked memo was making itself known as members of the Chinese community slammed the government for displaying “callousness and disrespect.”

Bill Chu, president of a group called Canadians for Reconciliation Society, predicted the surfacing of the memo will have “serious implications” in the coming B.C. election.

He was accompanied by lawyer and longtime activist Tommy Tao; Hanson Lau, who ran a Chinese radio program for 25 years and now operates a travel agency in Richmond; and Thekla Lit, co-chair of the Canada Association for Learning & Preserving the History of WWII in Asia.

Lit has been quoted in news reports as being a supporter of Gabriel Yiu, NDP candidate in Vancouver-Fraserview.

Chu and Lau have been billed as “special guests” to at least one of Yiu’s fundraisers.

The group — which on Friday said it was non-partisan — took particular issue with an apology on the Chinese head tax the B.C. Liberals have said could come as early as next week.

“An apology without sincerity is not just empty words but it is also an insult to the victims,” said Lit.

Lit said an apology can only be meaningful if it is accompanied by historical research, an acknowledgment of history, consultation with all concerned parties, preservation of historical sites, community education and a recording of historical injustice in school curricula.

Chu added that in past, the B.C. Liberal government has confused the Chinese head tax, which is a federal matter that has already been redressed, with past B.C. government policies and laws discriminating against the Chinese community. These have not been addressed.

“I wonder if the Liberal government know what they are apologizing for,” said Lit.

“It wasn’t Ontario, it wasn’t Newfoundland, it wasn’t Nova Scotia, it wasn’t all the other provinces that discriminated badly against us,” said Chu.

“It was B.C. without a doubt. It’s very important for us in B.C. to realize that.”

#69 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Anyone who actually believes her apology and meant it. Give your head a shake. She's only sorry that she got caught. This whole issue had to go through the Premier's office and she has to ok it. Political Insiders are saying she was forced by her caucus to issue the apology. It wasn't her idea. She was too scared and chicken crap that she had Coleman deliver the apology in the house. Gotta love ones like Bell who are implicated in shady dealings and when questioned about it, they respond "I don't recall any meetings", etc. Yeah, right. In Bell's case we now know why he's stepping away and using a Medical Condition as a cover.

12 years is enough of the BC Liars of ruining this province and British Columbian lives. They need to get decimated, deserve 1 seat and not be recognized as the official opposition and give them a office in the brom casket - Do exactly what they did to the NDP, when they got wiped out. Payback is a bitch.

Christie can go crawling back to CKNW to be with her sugar daddy Bill Good. For someone that is suppose to be highly intelligent and a great leader, sure isn't very bright at all. I will give her credit for being a world class liar. Because she is. Look at her eyes when she talks and tongue twists her words.

Now here's a person who knows what he's talking about. Bill Good the sugar daddy :lol:
Posted Image

#70 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

How so? Vote for a different party if you think both the NDP and the Liberals are evil.

Voting for any other is a wasted vote.

Either way BC is screwed.

Edited by Armada, 02 March 2013 - 11:34 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#71 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

This latest scandal is FAR from over. Now you can add another wave of exodus from the BC Liberal party over the "ethnic vote" leaked document. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...l-division.html

What I found interesting about this story is the video of Christy Clrak that accompanies it. In the video she tells reporters " Here's the thing to remember, at the moment, it appears that no government money was spent on it" Of course, she's refering to the leaked document that came out of her office.
Christy is choosing her words VERY carefully. The key words there being "at the moment" LOL

Grits grapple with resignations amid 'ethnic vote' conflict.

As B.C. Liberals deal with the aftermath surrounding the leak of a controversial document outlining a plan to win the "ethnic vote" in the upcoming provincial election, the party is also grappling with the recent resignations of several local representatives.

James Plett resigned from the Liberals' Surrey-Tynehead riding association on Friday.
On his blog, Plett said he was "appalled" by the recent controversy and said the B.C. Liberal Party had a "pattern of arrogance, deceit, and downright unethical behavior."

'I am horribly embarrassed that my name was still associated with that party.'—James Plett, former vice president of Surrey-Tynehead riding

"I am horribly embarrassed that my name was still associated with that party," Plett wrote. "I'm not the only one who feels this way."

The Liberals also recently lost riding presidents in Surrey-Whalley, Surrey-Fleetwood, and Surrey-Green Timbers, although two of the resignations came well before the "Multicultural Strategy" was leaked.

Earlier this week, the president of the B.C. Liberal Riding Association for Abbotsford Mission stepped down, too.

Cory Cassel, a Liberal for 13 years, became a member of the Green Party of B.C.
"My experience with the B.C. Liberal Party is that the people that are involved in the local riding associations are nothing more than procedure," Cassel said.

They are "there to fill a legal obligation and to give a perception that the party actually cares about what the people in communities care about."
Posted Image

#72 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

It really is a separate issue but I'll post it here

CBC is reporting that the bc liberals have called an emergency cabinet meeting for today at 4pm

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...thnic-vote.html

And on the province they are saying its not an emergency meeting - just an extra called planning session before they meet the next day as planned.

http://www.theprovin...1749/story.html

Edited by iwtl, 03 March 2013 - 08:37 AM.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. -
John Kenneth Galbraith

"This is the first test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him." - William Lyon Phelps

#73 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/m/...thnic-vote.html

Surrey liberals call for her to step down.

At this point there is no time to get a new leader in place and have time for them to lay out any new plans.
In my opinion the planning for the next election has begun and should any vote occur before the writ is dropped I see the bc liberals falling early
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kenneth Galbraith

"This is the first test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him." - William Lyon Phelps

#74 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

It really is a separate issue but I'll post it here

CBC is reporting that the bc liberals have called an emergency cabinet meeting for today at 4pm

And on the province they are saying its not an emergency meeting - just an extra called planning session before they meet the next day as planned.

http://www.theprovin...1749/story.html

It's not a separate issue. It's an emergency meeting hastily put together because our BC government is scrambling around trying desperately to figure out what their next move is. They want to give British Columbians the impression that they actually know what they are doing.
Posted Image

#75 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

It's not a separate issue. It's an emergency meeting hastily put together because our BC government is scrambling around trying desperately to figure out what their next move is. They want to give British Columbians the impression that they actually know what they are doing.

At this point, the ONLY people who would fall for that are sheep and kool-aid drinkers. These are the same kind of people as the 25% who still supported George W. Bush near the end of his 2nd term.

#76 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

At this point, the ONLY people who would fall for that are sheep and kool-aid drinkers. These are the same kind of people as the 25% who still supported George W. Bush near the end of his 2nd term.

So true. And the kool-aid drinkers have been conspicuously quiet lately.
Posted Image

#77 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Anyone but the NDP. I hope people vote for something different for a change. Even though all of the parties kind of suck.

#78 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Anyone but the NDP. I hope people vote for something different for a change. Even though all of the parties kind of suck.

Kind of? Although the BC Liberals have crossed over from suck to corrupt.
Posted Image

#79 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Pretty sure Dix denied any wrong doing. It wasn't until later he admitted to it.

Dix admitted to the fraud, forgery and obstruction of justice ( there was an ongoing police investigation and a conflict of interest investigation into Glen Clark) after the RCMP IT forensic lab examining his hard drive determined that the memo had been created well after the date on the memo and date stamp.

Posted Image

Dix first tried to claim that he had created it from his contemporaneous notes but since it was well-known he did not commit such things to paper - you know those pesky access to information requests, eh?... that did not fly and he finally had to admit his wrongdoing when all else failed.

Dix's position - It was a mistake. Ya think? Or is it only a mistake because you got caught and were forced to resign (albeit with a nice severance package courtesy of the BC taxpayers) along with his boss Glen Clark.

And that was not the first time Dix played fast and loose with the law. And there is so much more that Dix and the BC NDP was involved in.

The NDP has history of financial shenanigans and breaking the law going back to illegal party financing managed by a former NDP finance Minister, Dave Stupich (aka Bingogate - at least Mike Harcourt had the good graces to fall on his sword for that - of course with a push from behind by Clark, Sihota and Dix) - BTW Stupich went to jail and the BC NDP was also found guilty, then there was Casinogate where Dix tried to derail both a police investigation and conflict of interest investigation by forging a document and Clark tried to get Farnworth to lie for him on his involvement, the Raiwind power scandal (Hydrogate) run by NDP insider John Laxton that had Dix's fingerprints all over it, Dix running the NDP's legally prohibited campaigning during recall attempts and Dix on Clark's behalf applying unlawful pressure on the chair of the ALR to try to get land released.

Dix has played fast and loose with the law in a number of circumstances. I set it out in detail in the past:
http://forum.canucks...0#entry11036044

Vaughn Palmer of the Vancouver Sun notes that Adrian Dix's ethical lapses are not limited to fraudulent memos.
  • Dix slithered around the laws regarding recall campaigns - and that law was passed by the BC NDP.
  • Pulling the Six Mile Ranch out of the ALR - Dix was dispatched on behalf of Glen Clark to try to pressure the Chair of the ALR which is supposedly an independent tribunal - again established by the NDP. The Chair of the ALR called for a public inquiry - that was ignored by the NDP government.
  • The BC Hydro/ Raiwind Power Project tax dodge - Dix attended the meetings on behalf of Glen Clark when the scheme was hatched but we are supposed to believe that nothing was known of this by the Premier? BC Hydro John Laxton fell on his sword as result.
So in summary this "attack ad" does not only appear to be accurate but it does not even begin to scratch the surface of Dix's illegal and unethical past behaviour which also includes his piloting of the election campaign of Glen Clark's notorious fudge-it budgets. And the person with his hand in those past fudge-it budgets was none other than Adrian Dix. He was not only Premier Clark's chief of staff but was also the deputy minister when Clark was finance minister so pretty hard to claim he did not know what was going on. It was discovered after the election, that the balanced budgets for the 1995-96 and 1996-97 fiscal years on which Clark had campaigned were not, in fact, balanced but actually deficits. And that there had also been an accounting sleight of hand that was undisclosed at the time of the election whereby the Clark government took a large amount of debt and shifted it onto Crown Corporations so as to create a perception of "surpluses".

If you liked Glen Clark you are going to love Adrian Dix (aka Glen Clark V.2.0). As Michael Smyth writes -

Meet the new NDP boss - same as the old NDP boss?

History seems to be repeating itself as Adrian Dix follows Glen Clark's example

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2Lrw9Xo4O

The BC NDP can attempt to throw dust and dirt but the fact remains in the case of the BC NDP - been there, done that and much worse... and one of the central players in those past shenanigans now leads the party. IMHO Adrian Dix has not changed his spots but he is much better at camouflage these days.

As Vaughn Palmer concludes about Adrian Dix's professed change of heart:

In the darkest hour of his political life, Clark fell back on Dix. The police had raided his home. He stood accused of favouring a friend's application for a casino licence. And there was Clark, brandishing a memo over Dix's signature, saying the premier had ordered him to ensure he was insulated from the licensing decision.

The notorious memo to file. Only later did it come out that the document was in several respects bogus. Typed up months after the order was supposedly given. False dated by Dix himself, who wound back the premier's official date stamp with all the craft of a used-car dealer tackling an odometer.

"A mistake," Dix says today, and professes to have learned from it.

Doubtless, he'll never get caught doing anything as sneaky as that again.

http://www.canada.co...230f2521&k=8094

Edited by Wetcoaster, 03 March 2013 - 02:26 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#80 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,197 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

The issue that has arisen here is purely ethical. They didn't do anything illegal, it's just the fact that the things they had planned to do were not sincere. They were purely political and that is why it is so embarrassing to the party. Trying to secure the ethnic vote is not only a good idea but it's necessary. Too bad that the conduct as the leaks have shown were nothing more than self serving rather than being done to accept responsibility.

Posted Image

#81 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

I love how she says that she is confident that no lines were blurred but just to be on the safe side she is ordering a review....sure....Christy Clark how stupid do you think the public is?

......I would imagine anyone with the remotest thought of putting the NDP back into power.

#82 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Looks like someone is still drinking the kool-aid Christy is serving up to the faithful.

Maybe I should drink some too. Then maybe the kool-aid will magically transport me away from all the current scandals in the BC Liberal government back into time.

Yes, magically transport me 2 decades ago when Dix forged a memo. Ah yes, I can see it all now. Dix is the boogeyman, back dating memos...ah yes!

And the unethical corruption of the BC Liberal government and it's great leader Christy Clark, yes the same Christy Clark who was involved in the BC Rail scandal...

Search warrants were executed at several locations in addition to the BC Legislature. The Vancouver home office of Erik Bornmann, the Vancouver home of Bruce Clark (brother of Christy Clark) The RCMP also attended Ms. Clark's home that she shared with her ex-husband Mark Marissen.

http://en.wikipedia....gislature_Raids

... is still decades away.

I'm still waiting to see if the RCMP get involved in this latest scandal.

Edited by Gross-Misconduct, 03 March 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Posted Image

#83 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

More Dix bashing in a thread about Clark. Surprised?

#84 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

The issue that has arisen here is purely ethical. They didn't do anything illegal, it's just the fact that the things they had planned to do were not sincere. They were purely political and that is why it is so embarrassing to the party. Trying to secure the ethnic vote is not only a good idea but it's necessary. Too bad that the conduct as the leaks have shown were nothing more than self serving rather than being done to accept responsibility.

Slow down, you don't know that yet. The "ethnic vote" leak has multiple levels. Some of the suggestions in that document, if enacted, could very well be illegal.
Posted Image

#85 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,197 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Slow down, you don't know that yet. The "ethnic vote" leak has multiple levels. Some of the suggestions in that document, if enacted, could very well be illegal.

Pretty sure that apologizing no matter how unethically it is done is not an actual offense. If the argument is that it would cost taxpayers money and could be construed as political spending. But that harm will be argued as side effect rather than what was being done. No one can tell them not to apologize just because it could pick them up votes. So ethically ugly but not illegal

Edited by Harbinger, 03 March 2013 - 03:33 PM.

Posted Image

#86 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Eighteen Liberal cabinet ministers have gathered to meet with Premier Christy Clark at an emergency cabinet meeting in Vancouver.
The embattled B.C. premier is expected to make a statement to the media after the meeting, which is expected to last a few hours.
Clark called the meeting so she could speak to her team for the first time since a scandal erupted over a leaked plan to woo ethnic voters.
Some Liberal caucus members have resigned and openly criticized Clark over the proposed strategy. On Friday the premier was forced to accept the resignation of her deputy chief of staff, Kim Haakstad.
More than 100 B.C. Liberal party members called for the resignation of embattled B.C. Premier Christy Clark at a breakfast meeting in Surrey Sunday morning.
Members at the meeting said Clark must resign in order for the party to stage a comeback in time for the May provincial election.
"She must step forward, show her leadership qualities and resign," said Vikram Bajwa, a former mayoral candidate in Surrey who attended the Sunday morning meeting.
But on Sunday, some Liberals arriving at the emergency cabinet meeting said they still support the premier.
"I'm not going to run with anybody but Christy Clark," said Bill Bennett, MLA for Kootenay East.
The leaked documents were written by Haakstad in January 2012, urging the Liberals to co-ordinate resources – including some funded by taxpayers – to focus on winning over ethnic voters. It was leaked last week by the NDP.
Clark issued a letter of apology which was read during question period on Thursday but she herself wasn't in the house.
Sunday's emergency meeting in Vancouver will be her first chance to clear the air with her cabinet before the legislature resumes Monday.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Although no where in that post or story does the name of the NDP or dix appear I am sure we will see more from the right who seems to beleive that Dix's sins absolve all - aka ... that he is Jesus. Now I like the guy and all but even I don't think the guys Jesus and nor do I think that since the BC Liberals have done wrong that it would ever absolve them of any future wrongs ... but eh that's just my opinion

John Kenneth Galbraith

#87 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

http://www.vancouver...2762/story.html

From that article is the following

"A news release Sunday says 89 members of the party from Surrey decided to call for Clark’s resignation over her decision to spend taxpayer dollars on the Times of India Film Awards, “which has no relevance in B.C. economy, culture or adaptation.”

This is something that I had not seen brought into this scandal until this article - but 11 million+ on it? Could be problomatic spending in light of this

John Kenneth Galbraith

#88 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Pretty sure that apologizing no matter how unethically it is done is not an actual offense. If the argument is that it would cost taxpayers money and could be construed as political spending. But that harm will be argued as side effect rather than what was being done. No one can tell them not to apologize just because it could pick them up votes. So ethically ugly but not illegal

Like I said, this scandal has many levels. The possibly illegal part I'm talking about is the collecting and sharing of names and personal information obtained at official government functions and events. The leaked document suggests this information should be gathered and analyzed for the sole consumption of the BC Liberal party. Then the BC Liberals would use all this data that they gathered on official government business to try and gain a partisan advantage over other political partys. That's a no-no.

Do you get it now? The BC Liberals are pretending to do an "internal investigation" in an attempt to not only save face, but I believe they want to keep the RCMP away as well.

Stay tuned.....
Posted Image

#89 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

How about Christy unconstitutionally ripping up the teacher's union contract during her time as education minister?

If you had read the trial and appeal decisions you would have realized that at the time it was not unconstitutional. It only became unconstitutional when the SCOC overruled itself and established new law.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#90 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

If you had read the trial and appeal decisions you would have realized that at the time it was not unconstitutional. It only became unconstitutional when the SCOC overruled itself and established new law.

Dont worry about Christy ripping up contracts. Thats old news. She has a lot more pressing problems on her plate right now.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.