The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Premier Christy Clark apologizes

Sapper

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/03/01/bc-clark-apology-fallout.html

It doesn't seem to be fizzling and it seems to have touched a raw nerve...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Members of the Chinese community in Vancouver are calling the actions of the B.C. Liberal Party "immoral" after a leaked document revealed a wide-ranging plan to win ethnic votes in the upcoming provincial election.

B.C. Premier Christy Clark apologized on Thursday for the language used in the Liberals' "Multicultural Strategy" document, which outlines "quick wins" such as making apologies for historical wrongs.

But Bill Chu, chair of the Canadian Reconciliation Society, said the apology was "unacceptable."

"In the leaked document, you can see the wording in it, how they want to manipulate our community — not just our community, but the entire multicultural community," Chu said at a news conference Friday.

"It's full of disrespect."

The documents leaked by the NDP were originally sent from the email address of a senior official in the premier's office in January last year. They reveal a proposed outreach plan involving the premier's office, the Multiculturalism Ministry, the government caucus and the B.C. Liberal Party.

Clark said she didn't know who crafted the controversial document and said she has asked her deputy minister to conduct a review to ensure no government resources were inappropriately used.

But evidence leaked to the Vancouver Province newspaper shows that Clark's deputy chief of staff, Kim Haakstad, offered advice and input during the drafting stages of the plan.

While the federal government formally apologized in 2006 for the systemic exclusion of Chinese immigrants in Canada, Chu says the province has yet to fully acknowledge its role.

The Chinese in British Columbia have long struggled for equality. As soon as the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway was completed in 1885, it was British Columbia that pressured the federal government to pass laws to stop Chinese immigration. The province even collected half of the head-tax levies during some years.

Chu also stressed that many historical wrongs have continued to be committed against not only the Chinese community, but First Nations communities as well, including the disturbance of heritage sites in the province by mining and construction.

MLA Rich Coleman, the province's minister of energy and mines, read Clark's official apology during question period in the provincial legislature on Thursday.

"The document did not recognize there are lines that cannot be crossed in conducting this outreach, and it is unacceptable. The language in this draft document and some of the recommendations are absolutely inappropriate," the statement read.

"As a government, we have a responsibility to reach out to every community to ensure they are engaged and understand the services that are available to them."

BC rail is still very much a live issue. Unless the BC Liberals retain power it most likely will be very much front and center with the push to investigate the entire matter

And your correct - Gordon Campbell is gone so why would they bring up his drunk driving? The only place I hear or see it now days is on forums.

BC rail is still very much a live issue. Unless the BC Liberals retain power it most likely will be very much front and center with the push to investigate the entire matter

And your correct - Gordon Campbell is gone so why would they bring up his drunk driving? The only place I hear or see it now days is on forums.

Like I said - posters on forums may drag it out but I have heard zero in the news media about his past conviction. This thread however is about a BC Liberal issue and it was the BC Liberal supporters that are attempting to divert the conversation.

On most topics that are not positive to the BC Liberals the response back is "look at what happened to dix" - yes that's an issue that to some is still very much live. It however has ZERO to do with this topic and as mentioned above - the wrong of one does not absolve the wrongs of others unless you think he is Jesus....

Further new news on this matter

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/answers-coming-later-than-expected-in-liberals-ethnic-vote-plan-probe-1.1178157

From the article the review will not include the BC Liberals - seems to be a very limited probe that will be handcuffed in any findings or ability

" NDP House Leader John Horgan said he's concerned the Liberal government's planned review of its proposal to woo ethnic voters doesn't go far enough because it doesn't include the Liberal party or the party caucus."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The B.C. government has promised to get to the bottom of whether public resources were used for political purposes in wooing ethnic votes, but it appears answers won't come as fast as the deputy premier suggested.

Rich Coleman read an apology from Premier Christy Clark in the legislature Thursday, saying the leaked strategy document that laid out plans to court the province's ethnic communities before the May 17 election appeared to cross the line.

Coleman said then he should know within 24 hours what went wrong and how but on Friday the premier's office issued only the terms of reference for the review.

Related Stories

They include a pledge to conduct interviews and review all documents related to the leaked strategy paper, which the Liberals refer to as a draft.

Those involved in the investigation include Coleman, the deputy ministers of finance and open government and the head of the B.C. Public Service Agency.

Coleman's staff said he would be unavailable for comment on Friday, but the minister tweeted he had been given an update on the investigation.

"For the record, been given an early summary in 24hrs, the terms of reference are out, a number of interviews needed. Plan progressing," said Coleman's tweet.

He included no details of what the summary said, but said in a further tweet: "I am satisfied with the first steps to review what occurred here and fully support (Christy Clark)."

NDP House Leader John Horgan said he's concerned the Liberal government's planned review of its proposal to woo ethnic voters doesn't go far enough because it doesn't include the Liberal party or the party caucus.

Horgan said he expects the review will take several weeks, and referred to Coleman's statement about answers being provided in 24 hours as political bravado.

"That was typical Mr. Coleman hyperbole," Horgan said. "When Mr. Coleman said he would be done in 24 hours, what I expected was some sort of sacrificial lamb being held up on the alter on contrition."

As the fallout continued Friday, the Liberals were forced to explain that two of three riding association presidents who resigned recently quit their jobs well before the strategy plan was leaked.

One person resigned last week and the other on Feb. 7, but a Liberal spokesman speaking on background said it's unclear why the third riding president quit.

Peter Fassbender, the Liberal candidate in the Surrey-Fleetwood riding, said his riding president has resigned, but that he had been aware for weeks she would be leaving for personal reasons.

"I think it's unfortunate when anything like this happens," Fassbender said in an interview, adding he doesn't think the issue will affect the election campaign.

"The premier has apologized, which I give her a lot of respect for, and she's taking what I think are the appropriate steps because it is a very unfortunate situation."

The January 2012 document leaked to the NDP and released Wednesday outlines a proposed outreach plan involving the premier's office, the multiculturalism ministry, the government caucus and the B.C. Liberal party.

The 17-page paper includes eight strategy components, including advice for so-called "quick wins" gained by correcting historical wrongs.

The document also includes several references to tailoring government and Liberal news to the ethnic media, ensuring there is proper translation.

Use of taxpayer resources for political purposes is forbidden.

Every single political party, including the NDP, pander to the ethnic vote. The only difference is the Liberals got caught with the hands in the cookie jar. It is certainly holier than thou that NDP attack the Liberals when they do the same. Perhaps we should get a leak of their own documents.

Late breaking news

http://www.globalnews.ca/bc+premiers+closest+advisor+quits+over+leaked+memo/6442819705/story.html

VICTORIA - Premier Christy Clark accepted the resignation Friday of one of her closest advisers as the political fall-out over a leaked strategy aimed at wooing ethnic voters continued to rock the Liberal government.

Kim Haakstad, who was Clark's deputy chief of staff and has worked with the premier for years, resigned as the controversy over the ethnic vote courting strategy tore at caucus unity.

"Kim reached her decision after much consideration of her roles and responsibilities," Clark said in a three-sentence statement late Friday afternoon.

"Consistent with circumstances of resignations, no severance payment applies."

At least one Liberal MLA slammed his own party publicly over the leaked memo, which appeared to condone using public money to help the Liberals spread their ethnic message in time for the May 14 election.

Dave Hayer, an Indo-Canadian who has been a Liberal MLA since 2001, condemned the plan Friday, adding his voice to a furor unleashed earlier in the week when the Opposition NDP leaked the 17-page strategy document dated January 2012 in the legislature.

"This proposed outreach plan was insulting to the intended targeted communities and was, when I found out about it, insulting to me and to all other MLAs who believe in doing things properly, fairly and within the rules and laws of the legislature," Hayer said.

The document outlines a plan involving the premier's office, the multiculturalism ministry, the government caucus and the B.C. Liberal party.

The 17-page paper includes eight strategy components, including advice for so-called "quick wins" gained by correcting historical wrongs.

It also includes several references to tailoring government and Liberal news to the ethnic media, ensuring there is proper translation.

Use of taxpayer resources for political purposes is forbidden.

"In all my 12 years as an MLA I have always reached out to all communities, regardless of ethnic background, because that is the right thing to do," Hayer said.

"I believe in doing the right thing, regardless of whether it will, or will not, `win the vote' of any particular group."

In an interview before Haakstad resigned, Hayer said it the proposed policy - which the Liberals have referred to as a draft - was the wrong thing to do.

"Nobody in their right mind would be telling anybody to do anything like this. I can tell you, all the MLAs I talked to think this is wrong. We think whoever did this should be held responsible."

As the fallout continued Friday, the Liberals were forced to explain that two of three riding association presidents who resigned recently quit their jobs well before the strategy plan was leaked.

One person resigned last week and the other on Feb. 7, but a Liberal spokesman speaking on background said it's unclear why the third riding president quit.

Peter Fassbender, the Liberal candidate in the Surrey-Fleetwood riding, said his riding president has resigned, but that he had been aware for weeks she would be leaving for personal reasons.

"I think it's unfortunate when anything like this happens," Fassbender said in an interview, adding he doesn't think the issue will affect the election campaign.

"The premier has apologized, which I give her a lot of respect for, and she's taking what I think are the appropriate steps because it is a very unfortunate situation."

The B.C. government has promised to get to the bottom of whether public resources were used for political purposes, but the answers weren't coming as fast as the deputy premier suggested.

Deputy Premier Rich Coleman read an apology from Clark in the legislature Thursday, saying the leaked strategy document appeared to cross the line.

Coleman said then he should know within 24 hours what went wrong and how, but on Friday, the premier's office issued only the terms of reference for the review.

They include a pledge to conduct interviews and review all documents related to the leaked strategy paper.

Those involved in the investigation include Coleman, the deputy ministers of finance and open government and the head of the B.C. Public Service Agency.

Coleman's staff said he would be unavailable for comment on Friday, but the minister tweeted he had been given an update on the investigation.

"For the record, been given an early summary in 24 hrs, the terms of reference are out, a number of interviews needed. Plan progressing," said Coleman's tweet.

He included no details of what the summary said, but said in a further tweet: "I am satisfied with the first steps to review what occurred here and fully support (Christy Clark)."

Coleman also said he didn't want to compromise the review by saying anything further.

NDP House Leader John Horgan said he's concerned the Liberal government's planned review of its proposal to woo ethnic voters doesn't go far enough because it doesn't include the Liberal party or the party caucus.

Horgan said he expects the review will take several weeks, and referred to Coleman's statement about answers being provided in 24 hours as political bravado.

"That was typical Mr. Coleman hyperbole," Horgan said. "When Mr. Coleman said he would be done in 24 hours, what I expected was some sort of sacrificial lamb being held up on the alter on contrition."

So let me get this right...the Liberals are in hot water because people high up in the party, people who presumably were running the election campaign, wrote this objectionable document and it got leaked. The document appears to encourage or at least reveal the mixing of public and party funds in an attempt to persuade minority communities to vote Liberal.

Now naturally the Liberal higher-ups are outraged, outraged! about this, which of course they had no knowledge of or really anything to do with, never mind that it is a Liberal Party document. It must have been some misguided functionary, definitely could not have come down from the top, the Liberals would never do a thing like that. But you know, just to be sure, we are gonna have a bunch of Liberal Party bigshots do an internal investigation to make sure there was no sort of impropriety going on here. And these particular bigshots, well, they are impartial to the core and so we can of course trust the results of their internal investigation.

If this isn't the last several years in a nutshell, I don't know what is.

So let me get this right...the Liberals are in hot water because people high up in the party, people who presumably were running the election campaign, wrote this objectionable document and it got leaked. The document appears to encourage or at least reveal the mixing of public and party funds in an attempt to persuade minority communities to vote Liberal.

Now naturally the Liberal higher-ups are outraged, outraged! about this, which of course they had no knowledge of or really anything to do with, never mind that it is a Liberal Party document. It must have been some misguided functionary, definitely could not have come down from the top, the Liberals would never do a thing like that. But you know, just to be sure, we are gonna have a bunch of Liberal Party bigshots do an internal investigation to make sure there was no sort of impropriety going on here. And these particular bigshots, well, they are impartial to the core and so we can of course trust the results of their internal investigation.

If this isn't the last several years in a nutshell, I don't know what is.

The Liberals doing an internal investigation itself in this scandal is pretty ludicrous isn't it? Kinda like asking Sonny Corleone to investigate Vito Corleone and report if he finds any inappropriate or illegal activites within the Corleone family. LMAO

Looks like they found a patsy. I highly doubt this person taking a bullet for Christy is going to make this go away.

Archived