The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are Canucks Falling Apart?

goneforever

not sure why everyone is saying "chill out" and don't worry...

yes we are basically a game over .500

yes we are in a weak division

yes AV should've been fired last offseason

yes recent transactions and lack there of haven't helped us

yes we have injuries

these are all things to seriously be concerned about...not sit back and say "hey this is a better start then such and such a year and hey we are better off then so and so...who cares about such and such season and other teams. We should be very concerned, things don't look good now.

Sure we're better off then some teams, but we should be accustomed to not playing this way or having our organization run this way by now.

still stranger things have happened...Kings qualified for a playoff spot last game of the season and then won Lord Stanley's cup

perhaps we could do the same.

That's what we said last year. In fact do you remember all the "keeping ourselves back for the Playoffs" How did that go again.

I'm sorry but I am no longer convinced by MG or the team. I want to be but after last season and with no attempt to upgrade in any meaningful way I am resigned to another SC blowout.

Hockey wouldn't be a lot of fun if EVERYTHING went as planned/desired. The beautiful thing about sports is that it's unpredictable and anything can happen.

The Canucks aren't playing well, they're struggling a bit through adversity with injuries and lack of chemistry. We have seen this team in A LOT worse shape, and they have battled through it. We have the same core and the same coach there's no reason why this team can't be top 5 in the NHL again.

It may not be fun to watch right now, but i assure you, they will find their game, and they will dominate once again.

It is very likely that the Canucks from top to bottom are still in shock at the way the NHL changed the rules in favour of the Bruins in the finals.

Simply go back in time and remember Marchand bitch slapping Henrik with a referee standing just a few feet away. The Canucks knew the ice was tilted against them. In the Boston game the next season the Canucks and Bruins played the real game seven over.

The Canucks won, but it was a very hollow victory.

Now the Canuck core, players, coach and gm all feel powerless. Sure you can be the best, but so what, they won't let us win.

A core change needs to happen. The players can't easily be replaced, but the coach can. A new face and a new voice and perhaps this team can find it's heart again.

AV needs to go. Not because he isn't a good coach, but because a shakeup needs to happen and a coaching change is the only major change that can happen without risking the future of the Canucks.

GMMG knows that he can coast the rest of the year and still finish no worse than 3rd in the conference. So, why do anything drastic now? Wait until there is a team on the bubble of the playoff picture and is desperate to add a legitimate goaltender (whether its Schneider or Lu). Gillis is waiting to feast on the desperate. There is no reason to be desperate when you sit atop your division.

The only thing I haven't liked is the way AV manages his younger players during the game. I've seen this live a few times now. The young guys (particularly Kassian) have oftentimes looked lost out there, especially when the Canucks are trying to break out of their own zone. AV and his coaching staff have a habit of letting the players figure out the game on their own. You never see AV talking to the Sedins/Kes/Burrows/Booth, etc. He figures that these guys can read the game on their own by now.

However, when you have a young guy like Kassian or Schroeder, they absolutely need some guidance. They need help figuring out the game and how to respond to other teams' system. I see no communication from AV when he is on the bench. I don't care how he wants to communicate the message, but at least help your players out. You are the coach, not a passive observer.

GMMG knows that he can coast the rest of the year and still finish no worse than 3rd in the conference. So, why do anything drastic now? Wait until there is a team on the bubble of the playoff picture and is desperate to add a legitimate goaltender (whether its Schneider or Lu). Gillis is waiting to feast on the desperate. There is no reason to be desperate when you sit atop your division.

The only thing I haven't liked is the way AV manages his younger players during the game. I've seen this live a few times now. The young guys (particularly Kassian) have oftentimes looked lost out there, especially when the Canucks are trying to break out of their own zone. AV and his coaching staff have a habit of letting the players figure out the game on their own. You never see AV talking to the Sedins/Kes/Burrows/Booth, etc. He figures that these guys can read the game on their own by now.

However, when you have a young guy like Kassian or Schroeder, they absolutely need some guidance. They need help figuring out the game and how to respond to other teams' system. I see no communication from AV when he is on the bench. I don't care how he wants to communicate the message, but at least help your players out. You are the coach, not a passive observer.

One could also argue that because we have the same core, coaches and Gm, we are doomed to repeat past failures.

This team is not playing like they have in the past, and are not playing up to what their talent level and experience indicates they should. Thier on-ice performance has been lacking intensity ever since the Boston game last season. That is along time to be "finding their game". Maybe teh SC F run was the anomoly and what we are seing is "their game"?

TIme is running out wiht almost half the season gone and as Bodee says, the argument about saving your best for the playoffs doesn't work and never has. LA was very unusual and certainly not the norm. Teams and players can't magically flip a switch and gain speed, cohesiveness, passion and effectiveness.

As our friendly and supportive Blackhowks fa, Darth Kane has observed, this season is shaping up to look like an off one for the NUcks...injuries, goalie issue unsettled, too much drama and no effective upgrades to the team. He may be wrong but somethign needs to start to gel soon if the NUcks are going to start clicking.

Keeping ourselves back for the playoffs? What does that even mean?

I'm sorry but anything can happen once you get into the playoffs, if your team is hot at the right time chances are you will go deep. LA did it last season, Canucks almost did it in 2011, came within a game of winning the cup, and now they still have basically the same team. There is no reason why they can't do it again.

There's a reason why people say the regular season doesn't mean squat. It's because once the playoffs begin, anything can happen. If MG iced the same roster after say, missing the playoffs last season, well then i would be disappointed. Imagine being a Flames fan?

One could also argue that because we have the same core, coaches and Gm, we are doomed to repeat past failures.

This team is not playing like they have in the past, and are not playing up to what their talent level and experience indicates they should. Thier on-ice performance has been lacking intensity ever since the Boston game last season. That is along time to be "finding their game". Maybe teh SC F run was the anomoly and what we are seing is "their game"?

TIme is running out wiht almost half the season gone and as Bodee says, the argument about saving your best for the playoffs doesn't work and never has. LA was very unusual and certainly not the norm. Teams and players can't magically flip a switch and gain speed, cohesiveness, passion and effectiveness.

As our friendly and supportive Blackhowks fa, Darth Kane has observed, this season is shaping up to look like an off one for the NUcks...injuries, goalie issue unsettled, too much drama and no effective upgrades to the team. He may be wrong but somethign needs to start to gel soon if the NUcks are going to start clicking.

First off, I think AV is awesome and he is a good coach for our team. He has done a lot for our organisation.

Is it just me or does AV looked really scared/concerned in the interview on canucks.com homepage?

Yeh? well I'm sure your comments will come as a great comfort to the Oilers, Sens and Leafs. Despite what you say it is not JUST luck that wins you the SC. You have to have the right team and the right kind of team.............We are not showing zilch at present.

You're right it's not just luck obviously, never said that, I stated that anything can happen in the playoffs. Yes the Canucks stink right now. But we have seen what this team is capable of when they are firing on all cylinders, they're a very dangerous team and when they get hot they are amongst the best in the NHL, what else can you ask for?

I really think some fans just get bored of seeing the same players on the ice and the same coaches year after year and want change for the sake of change. Not you necessarily Bodee, but i know some fans have that mentality.

I honestly wonder why people would continue to watch/torture themselves if it's so bleak. I don't think you truly believe that if you continue to watch.

There's an old saying that goes "it ain't over till it's over". I like that mindset. It seems that there are some who have written off the season, the team, etc. But are still hanging in because ?

Archived