117 replies to this topic

#61 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

I agree that people are overreacting, but it's still concerning. That isn't going to be good enough for the playoffs. Look what happened last season.

A really talented team underachieved it's way to 8th in the west, then blew through the playoffs to win the cup?

<_<
(I know...I'm not pinning all my hopes on it being the smartest way to go about winning a cup or anything.)
(however, if a mid-season coaching change is what it takes, I wouldn't be entirely against that)
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#62 Sedinery22

Sedinery22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

actually since you get one point for an overtime loss it is more like 12 wins - 5 losses. :bigblush:

what do the other 2 games count as? genius

#63 miles.p

miles.p

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

No, just some of the trials and tribulations that hockey teams face at any given time.

This team does know how to adjust and is fairly resillient...they've been juggled around a lot already so have some versatility.

I believe "what doesn't break you" comes into play to some degree.

debluvscanucks also forgot to mention that she believes in unicorns and miracles.

#64 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

And on top of everything you listed... TREVOR LINDEN RETIRED AND KIRK MCLEAN WAS TRADED TO THE HURRICANES!

I hope Naslund shows up from Pittsburgh soon.

#65 heysoulsisters21

heysoulsisters21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

canucks fans riot too much

#66 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

actually since you get one point for an overtime loss it is more like 12 wins - 5 losses. :bigblush:

If you want to play with the stats...it's more like 4 games they played well enough to deserve a win; 6 games they got a point in by luck or outstanding goaltending while being badly out-played; and 9 losses where the goalies didn't bail them out while they were being out-played and couldn't score.

An impressive record fo the first 1/3 of the season, for sure.

#67 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

POPULAR

Who ever thinks we don't have problems is delusional..
For all those thinking we have a easy division and should have no problem, look again as all the so called less taleted teams are knocking on our door... Calgary is last and only away by six points, Colorado within 5, Edmonton within 4 and Minnesota within 2...
Only the top of the division is safe as all teams are very competitive and pretty much all of them have a fair chance to the playoffs.

I don't think it's quite the time to panic, but can't call this a easy route to at least the playoffs...
Were softer with Volpatti's departure, were still controversial about the goaltending, our d is fairly shaky, our forwards are inconsistent, our pp is and has been lacking for over a year now and the pk is not much better ...

Now with Kesler out for a possible month and a half. The lines will be shuffled like no other and any chemistry will be once again compromised once kesler comes back.

Edited by Ginu, 01 March 2013 - 01:30 AM.

Posted Image

#68 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

And I beg of you to give me a team that can actually beat the Canucks for the NW standing.

Mmm... Any team in the NW has the potential to get more points than us. Calgary is only six points behind and Minnesota which is the most capable NW team, is within two points</p>

Edited by Ginu, 01 March 2013 - 08:44 AM.

Posted Image

#69 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

Jesus tits people. We're 10-5-4. That's one of our best starts to a season that I can remember. God damn do people need to calm their ****.

We are winning approximately half of our games played. That is a sign of a mediocre team not a contending one.

@OP how is Luongo's performance "slipping". He had one bad game and hasn't played since (I don't see how his performance is slipping...). Who knows, he may bounce back and continue his excellent play throughout the rest of the season. As many Schneider fans have been saying this year, one bad game is not the end of the world....

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#70 Lidstrom

Lidstrom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

The Canucks are playing very bland hockey, the scary part is that they've been playing this way since the beginning of last season.

They don't play with much jump on most nights and to me lack passion.

I'd hate to see Vigneault go just because the team has "tuned him out", but I want to win a Stanley Cup.

Look at what late-season coaching changes did for the Penguins and I swear there are a couple more recent examples.

Didn't we win the Presidents Trophy last year?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#71 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

I'll wait til May to judge this team
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#72 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

The year before that too! Let's rejoice in our prior minor accomplishments.

#73 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

I'm also concerned because Gillis is the kind of GM who seems content to just sit on his arse and do f**k all, like there's no problems. No trades, no signings, no call ups, no nothing. We totally bombed out against LA and all that's changed is that we got Garrison and lost Salo and Rome. We've got glaring holes that need to be fixed but nothing is happening. Its so frustrating to watch this.

Edited by Heli_Kopitar, 01 March 2013 - 03:57 AM.

#74 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

I'm also concerned because Gillis is the kind of GM who is too seems content to just sit on his arse and do f**k all, like there's no problems. No trades, no signings, no call ups, no nothing. We totally bombed out against LA and all that's changed is that we got Garrison and lost Salo and Rome. We've got glaring holes that need to be fixed but nothing is happening. Its so frustrating to watch this.

I think he's just waiting and hoping the team turns it on by themselves. They did get to the SCF with the same core recently so they may only need a few minor tweaks. So they know how to be successful, that much is certain. What I find frustrating is that they don't seem to want to do it for long stretches of the season and then glide into the playoffs playing mediocre hockey. Well, that doesn't work against a team who comes out to play and wants it more than you do and then you end up getting STOMPED on after winning the Presidents trophy. The simplest and most effective move would be a coaching change, but I digress.

Edited by Bagofcats, 01 March 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#75 6of1_halfdozenofother

6of1_halfdozenofother

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

We sure did - fat lot of good that did us in the playoffs.
People who label others as bandwagoners, people who tell other people "how" to cheer for their team, "how" they should act or what they should wear to "support" their team, people who only want to hear positive thoughts and don't want to read about how the team can do better - these are people who are insecure and uncomfortable within their own skin.

I'll support my team the way I choose, thank you very much. You can choose to support your team the way you want to, and I won't judge you on it as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on me. I'll also be quick to point out where I think the team can do better, because identifying that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it; denying or ignoring a problem won't solve anything.

Go Canucks Go.

#76 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

I'm a little concerned.

• Ryan Kesler will be out again for weeks with a foot injury.
  • Bieksa day-to-day with a groin injury.
  • Volpatti has been snapped up by the Washington Capitals day after being put on waivers.
  • Malhotra has been forced into early retirement.
  • After strong start, Kassian has been put on 4th line and given less ice time. Doesn't seem happy.
  • Schneider not too happy about having to share #1 spot and his performance is slipping.
  • Luongo's performance might be slipping as well.
Have I missed anything?

All this adds up to a Canucks team that appears to be falling apart at the seams at a time when it should be getting it's sh*t together. The Playoffs are not that far away. Is team management getting sloppy? If so, who's to blame, Gillis or Vigneault?

Or do you think I'm overracting and that this is nothing out of the ordinary? After all, Canucks are still in the League Top 10 despite some dismal games.

Volpatti and Malhotra don't really count. The Canucks don't want them playing do they? So there's two things off your panicky Pete list.

#77 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

Jesus tits people. We're 10-5-4. That's one of our best starts to a season that I can remember. God damn do people need to calm their ****.

And how did we do in the playoffs last year my happy clapping friend? Have we even played anything worth a damn so far this season? NO! As usual we are relying on our goalies to shore up our results.

Honestly talking about fiddling while Rome burns. The writing has been on the wall for 2 years. We have hit our glass ceiling and we are heading South all because we have a GM who made the schoolboy mistake in any sport. YOU SHOULD NEVER STAND STILL.

MG should have helped this team immediately after the Boston series with at least one if not two major upgrades. Why did he not do this? Because he can't prioritise the players he has............a cardinal fault I would say for a GM.

"They did get to the SCF with the same core recently so they may only need a few minor tweaks."

Man, are you serious? Do you think we play the same team rosters every year? Unlike MG the most of the other GMs are pro active in trying to improve. Why do you think the 2012 Kings won the SC? It was because they WERE NOT the 2011 Kings.

We have a GM, who instead of trying to make the 2011 Canucks better sat and allowed all the rest to catch up.

Sir Alex Ferguson says hi!

Edited by Bodee, 01 March 2013 - 04:57 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#78 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hey, if we weren't panicking after a two dozen or so games, we wouldn't be Canucks fans now would we! The reason I brought these points up (which as someone pointed out were mentioned in a Province article by Gallagher) is because it seems like the Canucks have been battered through a full season already even though it's been a shortened season.

But then again, look at the LA Kings last year. They got their sh*t together late in the season and just barely squeaked into the Playoffs as other teams were starting to fall apart, and BLAMMO! They win the Stanley Cup. So, as Judy Tenuda would say, "it could happen" for the Canucks, too. Maybe.

Unfortunately the LA Kings are just starting to show signs of getting their mojo back. The game on Saturday between Kings and Canucks will be very telling.

Tom Sestito has just been added to the lineup as #29, the next Aaron Rome. I wonder if this will be any improvement over Peppermint Volpatti.

#79 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,726 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

If you people were around for the '08-09 10 game losing streak, you'd be jumping off a bridge by now.

Chill out.

#80 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hockey wouldn't be a lot of fun if EVERYTHING went as planned/desired. The beautiful thing about sports is that it's unpredictable and anything can happen.

The Canucks aren't playing well, they're struggling a bit through adversity with injuries and lack of chemistry. We have seen this team in A LOT worse shape, and they have battled through it. We have the same core and the same coach there's no reason why this team can't be top 5 in the NHL again.

It may not be fun to watch right now, but i assure you, they will find their game, and they will dominate once again.
Posted Image

#81 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hockey wouldn't be a lot of fun if EVERYTHING went as planned/desired. The beautiful thing about sports is that it's unpredictable and anything can happen.

The Canucks aren't playing well, they're struggling a bit through adversity with injuries and lack of chemistry. We have seen this team in A LOT worse shape, and they have battled through it. We have the same core and the same coach there's no reason why this team can't be top 5 in the NHL again.

It may not be fun to watch right now, but i assure you, they will find their game, and they will dominate once again.

That's what we said last year. In fact do you remember all the "keeping ourselves back for the Playoffs" How did that go again.

I'm sorry but I am no longer convinced by MG or the team. I want to be but after last season and with no attempt to upgrade in any meaningful way I am resigned to another SC blowout.
Kevin.jpg

#82 Just Jimmy

Just Jimmy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

not sure why everyone is saying "chill out" and don't worry...

yes we are basically a game over .500
yes we are in a weak division
yes AV should've been fired last offseason
yes recent transactions and lack there of haven't helped us
yes we have injuries

these are all things to seriously be concerned about...not sit back and say "hey this is a better start then such and such a year and hey we are better off then so and so...who cares about such and such season and other teams. We should be very concerned, things don't look good now.

Sure we're better off then some teams, but we should be accustomed to not playing this way or having our organization run this way by now.

still stranger things have happened...Kings qualified for a playoff spot last game of the season and then won Lord Stanley's cup
perhaps we could do the same.

#83 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

That's what we said last year. In fact do you remember all the "keeping ourselves back for the Playoffs" How did that go again.

I'm sorry but I am no longer convinced by MG or the team. I want to be but after last season and with no attempt to upgrade in any meaningful way I am resigned to another SC blowout.

Keeping ourselves back for the playoffs? What does that even mean?

I'm sorry but anything can happen once you get into the playoffs, if your team is hot at the right time chances are you will go deep. LA did it last season, Canucks almost did it in 2011, came within a game of winning the cup, and now they still have basically the same team. There is no reason why they can't do it again.

There's a reason why people say the regular season doesn't mean squat. It's because once the playoffs begin, anything can happen. If MG iced the same roster after say, missing the playoffs last season, well then i would be disappointed. Imagine being a Flames fan?
Posted Image

#84 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

The CDC way is to say "No" we are not falling apart when we win, "yes" we are falling apart when we lose. Right now i'm in the maybe range, LOL.

Cheers, 

#85 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Yes, a change in personal may be in order. We can't predict the future. Who know maybe Kesler is a cancer in the dressing room and the nucks will start playing better.

#86 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

One could also argue that because we have the same core, coaches and Gm, we are doomed to repeat past failures.

This team is not playing like they have in the past, and are not playing up to what their talent level and experience indicates they should. Thier on-ice performance has been lacking intensity ever since the Boston game last season. That is along time to be "finding their game". Maybe teh SC F run was the anomoly and what we are seing is "their game"?

TIme is running out wiht almost half the season gone and as Bodee says, the argument about saving your best for the playoffs doesn't work and never has. LA was very unusual and certainly not the norm. Teams and players can't magically flip a switch and gain speed, cohesiveness, passion and effectiveness.

As our friendly and supportive Blackhowks fa, Darth Kane has observed, this season is shaping up to look like an off one for the NUcks...injuries, goalie issue unsettled, too much drama and no effective upgrades to the team. He may be wrong but somethign needs to start to gel soon if the NUcks are going to start clicking.

#87 pomorick

pomorick

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

It is very likely that the Canucks from top to bottom are still in shock at the way the NHL changed the rules in favour of the Bruins in the finals.
Simply go back in time and remember Marchand bitch slapping Henrik with a referee standing just a few feet away. The Canucks knew the ice was tilted against them. In the Boston game the next season the Canucks and Bruins played the real game seven over.
The Canucks won, but it was a very hollow victory.
Now the Canuck core, players, coach and gm all feel powerless. Sure you can be the best, but so what, they won't let us win.
A core change needs to happen. The players can't easily be replaced, but the coach can. A new face and a new voice and perhaps this team can find it's heart again.
AV needs to go. Not because he isn't a good coach, but because a shakeup needs to happen and a coaching change is the only major change that can happen without risking the future of the Canucks.

Edited by pomorick, 01 March 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#88 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

GMMG knows that he can coast the rest of the year and still finish no worse than 3rd in the conference. So, why do anything drastic now? Wait until there is a team on the bubble of the playoff picture and is desperate to add a legitimate goaltender (whether its Schneider or Lu). Gillis is waiting to feast on the desperate. There is no reason to be desperate when you sit atop your division.

The only thing I haven't liked is the way AV manages his younger players during the game. I've seen this live a few times now. The young guys (particularly Kassian) have oftentimes looked lost out there, especially when the Canucks are trying to break out of their own zone. AV and his coaching staff have a habit of letting the players figure out the game on their own. You never see AV talking to the Sedins/Kes/Burrows/Booth, etc. He figures that these guys can read the game on their own by now.

However, when you have a young guy like Kassian or Schroeder, they absolutely need some guidance. They need help figuring out the game and how to respond to other teams' system. I see no communication from AV when he is on the bench. I don't care how he wants to communicate the message, but at least help your players out. You are the coach, not a passive observer.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#89 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

GMMG knows that he can coast the rest of the year and still finish no worse than 3rd in the conference. So, why do anything drastic now? Wait until there is a team on the bubble of the playoff picture and is desperate to add a legitimate goaltender (whether its Schneider or Lu). Gillis is waiting to feast on the desperate. There is no reason to be desperate when you sit atop your division.

The only thing I haven't liked is the way AV manages his younger players during the game. I've seen this live a few times now. The young guys (particularly Kassian) have oftentimes looked lost out there, especially when the Canucks are trying to break out of their own zone. AV and his coaching staff have a habit of letting the players figure out the game on their own. You never see AV talking to the Sedins/Kes/Burrows/Booth, etc. He figures that these guys can read the game on their own by now.

However, when you have a young guy like Kassian or Schroeder, they absolutely need some guidance. They need help figuring out the game and how to respond to other teams' system. I see no communication from AV when he is on the bench. I don't care how he wants to communicate the message, but at least help your players out. You are the coach, not a passive observer.

I totally agree. AV has been clear that he doesn't see developing players as his responsibility, that's the job of the Wolves' coach. Problem is, the only to learn to play in teh NHL is to play in the NHL. These guys coming out of juinor still need teaching and coaching. Some can figure it out on their own but some don'e and it takes longer to develop without coaching eithe rway.

I posted elsewhere about how much Babcock talked and encouraged his young replacement players the other night against LA. He was constantly guiding them and patting them on the back etc. . Lucky young guys.

TSN had a good article on the shelf-life of coaches. Talked about how important it is for the coaching staff to have a plan the players believe in and that will help them make the moist of their skills and abilities to beat the opposition. I can't help but thing the Nucks have tuned-out AV and his "system" in the knowledge that it didin't work, doesn't work and will not work. That would explain the apparent lack of emotion and passion in their game. Hard ot give 100% for something you don't have confidence in.

#90 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

First off, I think AV is awesome and he is a good coach for our team. He has done a lot for our organisation.

Is it just me or does AV looked really scared/concerned in the interview on canucks.com homepage?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.