Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Computer GPU Help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hey guys,

so recently i've been contemplating finally adding a proper GPU (Graphics/Video Card) into my computer. Now, i don't exactly game heavily, but that may just have been because i could never really run anything efficiently I bought SC2, quit because in large macro fights my FPS would go to like 1 and yeah, it was pretty bad.

I've decided upon getting the 7770, and no i will not go the nVidia route or buy any other card. I'm just simply asking which brand would be the best choice. (Unless you find a card that's legit better and worth the price..)

PSU: 450 W
Price: $100 -$130

These are the two i'm thinking about

http://ncix.com/prod...te&promoid=1324

and

http://ncix.com/prod...or&promoid=1324

I've read up on some reviews and the Gigabyte one seems to die and not work for a lot of people, so hesitant on the buy.. But overall i've heard theyre a better company and such.

Any help would be good! Thanks

Posted Image

#2 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

I would go with Gigabyte because it's a good company. I would also recommend Sapphire. My GTX 670 is from gigabyte and I love it.

Edited by Hyzer, 28 February 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#3 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Here's what I've found to be the best approach to buying GPUs.
Go on NCix or a-power website.
Write down a few video cards in your price range (NCix is easier because they have a "most sold top 10 list".)
Then google x versus y benchmark tests.
See what outperforms what.
The technology is all fairly caught up. 10 or so years ago there was always a clear winner. Now it's hard to make a bad choice with any hardware. They all also carry a one year warranty... I've had several video cards. Only one crapped out on me, and its because I always overclock all my hardware. Keep it to stock and do a little research and you'll be gold.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#4 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I hope your CPU is not out of date. Getting a new GPU might not be as beneficial, your old CPU might bottle neck it!
Posted Image

#5 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

I have a Gigabyte HD 7950 I got on sale at NCIX about 6 months ago. Nobody even came close to their price and its a beast of a card.

Posted Image

#6 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Gigabyte. I've almost exclusively used them since 2001 for computer builds and have never had a problem with them.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.