Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avicii

Computer GPU Help

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

so recently i've been contemplating finally adding a proper GPU (Graphics/Video Card) into my computer. Now, i don't exactly game heavily, but that may just have been because i could never really run anything efficiently I bought SC2, quit because in large macro fights my FPS would go to like 1 and yeah, it was pretty bad.

I've decided upon getting the 7770, and no i will not go the nVidia route or buy any other card. I'm just simply asking which brand would be the best choice. (Unless you find a card that's legit better and worth the price..)

PSU: 450 W

Price: $100 -$130

These are the two i'm thinking about

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=74900&vpn=GV-R777OC-1GD%20Rev2%2E0&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1324

and

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=74323&vpn=AX7770%201GBD5-DH&manufacture=PowerColor&promoid=1324

I've read up on some reviews and the Gigabyte one seems to die and not work for a lot of people, so hesitant on the buy.. But overall i've heard theyre a better company and such.

Any help would be good! Thanks

I would go with Gigabyte because it's a good company. I would also recommend Sapphire. My GTX 670 is from gigabyte and I love it.

Here's what I've found to be the best approach to buying GPUs.

Go on NCix or a-power website.

Write down a few video cards in your price range (NCix is easier because they have a "most sold top 10 list".)

Then google x versus y benchmark tests.

See what outperforms what.

The technology is all fairly caught up. 10 or so years ago there was always a clear winner. Now it's hard to make a bad choice with any hardware. They all also carry a one year warranty... I've had several video cards. Only one crapped out on me, and its because I always overclock all my hardware. Keep it to stock and do a little research and you'll be gold.

I hope your CPU is not out of date. Getting a new GPU might not be as beneficial, your old CPU might bottle neck it!

I have a Gigabyte HD 7950 I got on sale at NCIX about 6 months ago. Nobody even came close to their price and its a beast of a card.

Gigabyte. I've almost exclusively used them since 2001 for computer builds and have never had a problem with them.