The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche match O'Reilly offer sheet

Not sure how many times this has to be said, but he can't be traded for a full calendar year. Meaning if the trade deadline is in feb like it was last year they will have to keep him right through next season. At which time he will be an RFA again with a minimum qualifying offer amount of $6.5 million

what i dont get is the avalanche didnt want to give oreilly a reasonable contract they wanted him to take a cheap deal like duchene did.

yet this is the same team that had no problem giving david Jones a 4 year 16million dollar deal...

O'reilly is far more valuable and has more upside than Jones. Definitely think Colorado Management made a mistake with the way they handled things

I believe a player has to be qualified before he can be taken to arbitration. If the player is not qualified, and if the two sides don't negotiate a contract on their own, then the player walks as a UFA.

So the Avs better hope they can repair their relationship with ROR.

Otherwise they will likely be forced to give him a one-year, 6.5M qualifying offer (which ROR would likely sign, as otherwise he goes to an arbitrator who will likely award him less) or let him walk.

elvis/qwijibo - that's a really interesting point that I hadn't considered (sorry, I wasn't following the other O'Reilly stuff too closely). But was that the intended timing of the offer sheet, to bypass a regular season trade deadline?

Archived