The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche match O'Reilly offer sheet

Colorado should have let him walk just to screw the flames over. That would have been good. This day gets better and better. Fan 960 in Calgary yesterday acted like the flames just changed their franchise around, no way Colorado would match it and the flames would be contending for this year and years to come. Today the mood has completely changed. I wish Colorado didn't match and have the flames end up losing a top 5 pick.

How epic wou

I can't imagine the Avs knew that he would have to go through waivers. If they knew I imagine they would have waited the full week to decide, tank that week and would have hoped to get below Columbus to have first dibs. At the deadline to match, if they're not last in the league, they match it. If they are, free 1st and 3rd while retaining O'Reilly.

EDIT: Even if they're 2nd last I think they would chance it. Odds are he doesn't get by Columbus, but even then I don't think they would have that much of a problem with it. They get a 1st and a 3rd for somebody who isn't going to help a division rival.

I don't think the Flames are that bad, but the picks would definitely be higher than they would be if the Flames had got O'Reilly. I think that was the Avs logic in matching; O'Reilly would make the pick less valuable because he would lead them to better stats, and Calgary is a divisional rival. If it were Columbus who gave him the offer sheet, or a team equally as bad as Calgary in the East, I don't think they match it. Not in this draft.

My point was how glorious would it have been had the Flames lost both the high picks and O'Reilly to Colorado (had they been in a position to claim him).

To Colorado: Calgary 2013 1st, Calgary 2013 3rd & Ryan O'Reilly

To Calgary: A fired Jay Feaster and $10m worth of egg on face.

Archived