43 replies to this topic

#1 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

When we already had a goalie to deal with no imminent trade destination clear. Now we have a huge hole in center.

So the question I ask is have we lost all trade leverage???

Every team out there knows we are extremely desperate, and we dont really have much to stand on as in demanding the quality back we need. Feels like we missed a big opportunity, and our rate on return will be severely diminished do to our now desperate situation.

Did we miss a lucrative window of opportunity?

#2 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,256 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

POPULAR

We are not desperate.

We've had that huge hole for most of the abbreviated season and have manged to come through fairly unscathed. Nothing much has changed...there's no missing a window of opportunity if the opportunities didn't present themselves.

Posted Image

#3 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

I agree we are not desperate. This shouldn't change anything in terms of value. GM's make trades for more then just the next 20 games... We played the first 15 without a second line center and we were one of the better teams in the league.
Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#4 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

We haven't lost leverage as there are still some viable options in free agency if worse comes to worse.

#5 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

i don't understand how we missed a big opportunity?...please explain.....?.

#6 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I just feel we will overpay or not get the value we could of previously demanded, now that were under the gun.

#7 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

POPULAR

so we were 6-0 without kes

just so everyone knows , long as our d pulls there heads out of there asses and starts to play better we'll be fine

the only reason i would want a trade made before the deadline would be to give cory a legit run , without luo there , scary for us but needed for cory to succeed

gillis's hand is only forced if he chooses to make a trade now , if he just waits till the trade deadline he'll get good value

in the end the teams going after luo , need him more then we need anything back i know canucks fans seem to think otherwise but its true

Edited by cIutch, 28 February 2013 - 08:05 PM.

Posted Image

#8 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Id love to see us make a big trade, but Gillis hasnt shown us any signs of "trade panic" in the past, and I doubt that any short term circumstances will change any long term goals.

If the right deal comes along (according to him), he'll make it.... if not, he's said multipul times that he's happy with what he's got. that being said, i would be somewhat suprised if the trade deadline passed without any movement.

#9 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

lol desperate the avs just matched calgary's offersheet for ror which means they can't trade him for a year and his next contract will be min 6.5mill. Lol sure glad MG didn't make that offer ROR isn't worth 6.5 mill so...... the avs just matched an offer that screws them over in a season and a half. Personally I think they should have taken the 1st and the 3rd because they would have been so much better off in a season or 2. Calgary's 1st will be a top 10 for sure. if not top 5.

#10 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

i don't understand how we missed a big opportunity?...please explain.....?.

Trade Luongo over the summer or draft... ?

GMs have called Gillis' bluff and he will be forced to make a deal he doesnt want because theres no way we can keep Luongo for next season.

#11 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Well it's not like we're gonna miss the playoffs, not with this division. Kesler out = Ewing Theory. We are about to get on a roll here, LA will play us tough but we ought to win this one.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#12 2009cupchamps

2009cupchamps

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

We were on a 6 game winning streak. Kesler came back and we have bee playing like crap because the team thinks we can play a different style. Watch with Kesler out we will start winning again not because Ebbett is better but the team plays better.

#13 miles.p

miles.p

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

We are not desperate.

We've had that huge hole for most of the abbreviated season and have manged to come through fairly unscathed. Nothing much has changed...there's no missing a window of opportunity if the opportunities didn't present themselves.

this is so incorrect.

the canucks are buyers this trade tradeline. 29 teams know what they have to offer, and what they want from them. Canucks have 2 options...stay pat and get bounced in the first or second round again, or make a move. Problem is, they have no leverage, no prospects, and besides schneider and the sedins, no trade baits.

Whether you would like to believe it or not, the canucks are desperate. They are being exposed in the WC, and the only reason they have a winning record is due to 4 teams in the division being even worse than them.

MG definitely lost any leverage he had. Every team will be ready to lowball.

#14 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I am not sure how the whole Volpatti situation has everyone in a tailspin.

Options we have include:

1) A goalie trade. I just think it msy not happen till the off-season. Yes, I think Lou will be traded, but part of me thinks he is willing to hang around because this team is still a contender

2) A player trade near trade deadline. Several teams will be in fire sale mode, and may be willing to trade off salary.

3) Free agency. Free agent centers include Dominic Moore, Daymond Langkow, Jason Arnott, Brendan Morrison, Jeremy Colliton, Patrick Rissmiller and Blair Betts off the top of my head.

Right Wing, another area we are weak in, Radek Dvorak, Trent Hunter, and, lol Byron Bitz

Just saying there are guys available in a pinch without selling the farm
Sig too big.

#15 Dr.Awesome

Dr.Awesome

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Probably go back to Burrows in the middle, and kassian with the twin. We have seen it work already this season. Gillis has leverage until the summer when the cap will likely force him to make a move or drop other players (ballard and booth unless they both cement themselves as 4 million dollars players). Kesler gets back in a month and we once again become one of the deepest teams in the NHL. He makes a few moves like he did these past trade deadlines bringing in some 3/4 line talent and the canucks dont really have anything to worry about

#16 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

MG can not panic and realize this team might not have what it takes to win it all and when he does pull the trigger on a Luongo deal.
He needs the players that are coming our way, be able to help us 2-4 years down the road. The Sedin's can play at this level forever.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#17 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

I think Kesler is traded this deadline. He's played his last game

#18 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

r u kiddin' me??? this is just plain ridiculous lol :bored:

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#19 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

this is so incorrect.

the canucks are buyers this trade tradeline. 29 teams know what they have to offer, and what they want from them. Canucks have 2 options...stay pat and get bounced in the first or second round again, or make a move. Problem is, they have no leverage, no prospects, and besides schneider and the sedins, no trade baits.

Whether you would like to believe it or not, the canucks are desperate. They are being exposed in the WC, and the only reason they have a winning record is due to 4 teams in the division being even worse than them.

MG definitely lost any leverage he had. Every team will be ready to lowball.

This.

#20 kingfreako

kingfreako

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Why? Please explain.
Posted Image

#21 Canorcas

Canorcas

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I think a creative way the Canucks could get a player at the deadline is to be involved in a three-way trade. The Canucks don't really have young assets or players to trade for a roster addition, but in a three-way move, that could be a null point.

Just a thought.

Posted Image
is my blog on Canucks.com

#22 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,781 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Posted Image

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#23 - PikaBOO -

- PikaBOO -

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

I think we're leaning more towards the desperate side of things.

If not, than we would all be comfortably thinking that we'll make it to the cup final.
Ask yourself, do you honestly think that we are better than the Blackhawks? Bruins?

Of course not, something has to be done to make this team the absolute best in the league (or at least in the playoffs) in order to win.

#24 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

I agree we are not desperate. This shouldn't change anything in terms of value. GM's make trades for more then just the next 20 games... We played the first 15 without a second line center and we were one of the better teams in the league.

There in lies the problem. They get buy somehow, but they ain't going anywhere people. Look at the other teams, they are bigger, tougher, and have better coaches. The refs don't even respect Canucks coach. He doesn't back up his team. But shrugs his shoulders when they lose. He says he doesn't know what happened, or something like that. He often kinda throws his team, or some players under the bus, so to speak.

#25 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'll bet you are right.

#26 english_14

english_14

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

We are not desperate.

I think we might have desperate looking "top-2" defensive pairings...

#27 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

:picard:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#28 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

When we already had a goalie to deal with no imminent trade destination clear. Now we have a huge hole in center.

So the question I ask is have we lost all trade leverage???

Every team out there knows we are extremely desperate, and we dont really have much to stand on as in demanding the quality back we need. Feels like we missed a big opportunity, and our rate on return will be severely diminished do to our now desperate situation.

Did we miss a lucrative window of opportunity?

What "lucrative window" did we miss? How are we desperate? What trade leverage is lost?

Gillis does things to improve the team now and long term. If the right moves aren't there, he won't make them

We're not desperate. We will make the playoffs, if by virtue of playing in the NorthWest alone. We can afford to be patient and not make rash trades that will hurt the future.

This team is fine if Kesler is healthy. It's just plain bad luck that he broke his foot. Injuries can happen to any team. It sucks Kesler is hurt again, but it happens.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#29 Specter's Vengeance

Specter's Vengeance

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

Heres my take. Ballard is playing well. He is showcasing although he has a high cap hit he is still a solid defender. Look at all the other seasons he's played and his ice time has increased significantly. This is the same thing they did for Cody Hodgson (My opinion as he wanted to leave anyways *Speculation*). I think he will go. Booth, even though I like the guy, needs to go. He hasn't really been around much to show his worth and thats ok. Maybe he is a good player but not for us. I think hes a possibility to go.

I do believe the Canucks are on their heels. I do believe we will finish in the top 8 in the Western Conference, head to playoffs, get past the first round by a hair or be eliminated altogether. Luongo gets traded in the off season and we will pick up and let go what we can in the off season. I think the trade we see, if any come to pass, before the TD is going to be a complete shocker. I dont think anyone is going to see it coming and when it does there will be some outrage from the fanbase...

Just to add to my thoughts here, The Capitals signing Volpatti isnt as bad as people are making it out to be. We have numbers for 4th line guys. Yes, It sucks he of all players is gone but to me, Volpatti isnt going to be that guy to help win us a cup if you understand what Im saying. Hes a 4th line grinder. Not a Ryan Kesler or Chris Higgins. I dont think people should be bent out of shape because of it.

22481-mortal-kombat-x.jpg

#30 howswedeitis76

howswedeitis76

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Just curious, how much time is left on Conolly's big 4.5-4.75 mill contract? I'm wondering if it might be worth taking a shot there, even with his injury issues and lack of production last year. He's got something to prove, and maybe having two injury prone forwards will make one good one? :P

I'm thinking that when it comes time to renegotiate for Conolly, he will become a cheap 2nd line option when/if Kesler is injured. Correct me if I'm wrong but this year or next is his last for that much money?

Edited by howswedeitis76, 28 February 2013 - 11:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.