The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Panic?

UFTcan

I think a creative way the Canucks could get a player at the deadline is to be involved in a three-way trade. The Canucks don't really have young assets or players to trade for a roster addition, but in a three-way move, that could be a null point.

Just a thought.

I think we're leaning more towards the desperate side of things.

If not, than we would all be comfortably thinking that we'll make it to the cup final.

Ask yourself, do you honestly think that we are better than the Blackhawks? Bruins?

Of course not, something has to be done to make this team the absolute best in the league (or at least in the playoffs) in order to win.

I agree we are not desperate. This shouldn't change anything in terms of value. GM's make trades for more then just the next 20 games... We played the first 15 without a second line center and we were one of the better teams in the league.

We are not desperate.

We've had that huge hole for most of the abbreviated season and have manged to come through fairly unscathed. Nothing much has changed...there's no missing a window of opportunity if the opportunities didn't present themselves.

When we already had a goalie to deal with no imminent trade destination clear. Now we have a huge hole in center.

So the question I ask is have we lost all trade leverage???

Every team out there knows we are extremely desperate, and we dont really have much to stand on as in demanding the quality back we need. Feels like we missed a big opportunity, and our rate on return will be severely diminished do to our now desperate situation.

Did we miss a lucrative window of opportunity?

Heres my take. Ballard is playing well. He is showcasing although he has a high cap hit he is still a solid defender. Look at all the other seasons he's played and his ice time has increased significantly. This is the same thing they did for Cody Hodgson (My opinion as he wanted to leave anyways *Speculation*). I think he will go. Booth, even though I like the guy, needs to go. He hasn't really been around much to show his worth and thats ok. Maybe he is a good player but not for us. I think hes a possibility to go.

I do believe the Canucks are on their heels. I do believe we will finish in the top 8 in the Western Conference, head to playoffs, get past the first round by a hair or be eliminated altogether. Luongo gets traded in the off season and we will pick up and let go what we can in the off season. I think the trade we see, if any come to pass, before the TD is going to be a complete shocker. I dont think anyone is going to see it coming and when it does there will be some outrage from the fanbase...

Just to add to my thoughts here, The Capitals signing Volpatti isnt as bad as people are making it out to be. We have numbers for 4th line guys. Yes, It sucks he of all players is gone but to me, Volpatti isnt going to be that guy to help win us a cup if you understand what Im saying. Hes a 4th line grinder. Not a Ryan Kesler or Chris Higgins. I dont think people should be bent out of shape because of it.

Just curious, how much time is left on Conolly's big 4.5-4.75 mill contract? I'm wondering if it might be worth taking a shot there, even with his injury issues and lack of production last year. He's got something to prove, and maybe having two injury prone forwards will make one good one? :P

I'm thinking that when it comes time to renegotiate for Conolly, he will become a cheap 2nd line option when/if Kesler is injured. Correct me if I'm wrong but this year or next is his last for that much money?

so we were 6-0 without kes

just so everyone knows , long as our d pulls there heads out of there asses and starts to play better we'll be fine

the only reason i would want a trade made before the deadline would be to give cory a legit run , without luo there , scary for us but needed for cory to succeed

gillis's hand is only forced if he chooses to make a trade now , if he just waits till the trade deadline he'll get good value

in the end the teams going after luo , need him more then we need anything back i know canucks fans seem to think otherwise but its true

this is so incorrect.

the canucks are buyers this trade tradeline. 29 teams know what they have to offer, and what they want from them. Canucks have 2 options...stay pat and get bounced in the first or second round again, or make a move. Problem is, they have no leverage, no prospects, and besides schneider and the sedins, no trade baits.

Whether you would like to believe it or not, the canucks are desperate. They are being exposed in the WC, and the only reason they have a winning record is due to 4 teams in the division being even worse than them.

MG definitely lost any leverage he had. Every team will be ready to lowball.

Let me show you what discussion is kids.

What "lucrative window" did we miss? How are we desperate? What trade leverage is lost?

Gillis does things to improve the team now and long term. If the right moves aren't there, he won't make them

We're not desperate. We will make the playoffs, if by virtue of playing in the NorthWest alone. We can afford to be patient and not make rash trades that will hurt the future.

This team is fine if Kesler is healthy. It's just plain bad luck that he broke his foot. Injuries can happen to any team. It sucks Kesler is hurt again, but it happens.

I don't think we're panicking...but we are definitely losing leverage. I don't think MG will make a bad deal just to win the cup in a shortened season, but if we don't at least make the second round, there will be a shakeup at the end of the season. If the Kings steamroll us, and the Oilers win a couple, then we might start to get close to a reactionary deal. But we won't actually be panicking until we're out of a playoff spot fully before the deadline...knock on wood.

Archived