The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some kids have no respect

Heretic

It's stories like this that make me question what we are doing as a society...

Teachers at a school my wife was TOC'ing at, were talking about a couple of incidents.

The first was, a student punched a teacher in the face - for no reason.

Instead of the student being reprimanded - suspended - the board came down on the teacher and questioned why they were close enough to a student for them to get punched.

The second was where a student picked up a chair and threw it at a teacher - but missed,

Instead of the student being reprimanded - suspended - the board came down on the teacher and said "lucky you ducked".

Wow.

In my day, if a student did that - they were expelled.

Students respected teachers.

As a teacher, I say, "Where is the freaking Union on this?"

We don't have the whole story or know any history, so, there has to be more to it if the teacher was reprimanded. It's not the job of the board to reprimand teachers.

As a member of our Health and Safety Committee, I would also have these teachers file a Violent Incident Report. These kids are a safety issue for staff and students alike. From the report, a Safety Plan would have to be constructed and implemented for each of these kids. One of my recommendations would be to have these kids do their program at home via correspondence / Directed Learning.

Finally, bring in the RCMP. These are clearly 2 cases of assault, one straight up and one attempted. Charge the little bastards.

Our profession sure doesn't come with the built-in respect it once did. I believe we need to earn the kids respect, and vice-versa, but having chairs thrown at me and getting punched in the face were not what I signed up for 15 years ago, that's for sure!

Like kids haven't been messing with teachers for generations. This is obviously an extreme example. My great uncle would get the strap, and would always quickly move his hand out of the way, causing the teacher to hit herself. This was in the 1930's. People who are disrespectful for no reason have existed since the beginning of civilization.

Like kids haven't been messing with teachers for generations. This is obviously an extreme example. My great uncle would get the strap, and would always quickly move his hand out of the way, causing the teacher to hit herself. This was in the 1930's. People who are disrespectful for no reason have existed since the beginning of civilization.

Like kids haven't been messing with teachers for generations.  This is obviously an extreme example.  My great uncle would get the strap, and would always quickly move his hand out of the way, causing the teacher to hit herself.  This was in the 1930's.  People who are disrespectful for no reason have existed since the beginning of civilization.

Back in the day I think schools were going too far the other way. They were reprimanding kids for every little thing while refusing to acknowledge that perhaps it was the fault of the teacher or maybe that their approach might just have been wrong.

Now they are overcompensating by being far too lenient.

I always believe that what a parent or a teacher could not teach these kids, life will teach them someday. And that lesson will be painful...but they'll never forget it. Life is meant to teach us that we're not entitled to anything unless we earn it.

Back in the day I think schools were going too far the other way. They were reprimanding kids for every little thing while refusing to acknowledge that perhaps it was the fault of the teacher or maybe that their approach might just have been wrong.

Now they are overcompensating by being far too lenient.

I always believe that what a parent or a teacher could not teach these kids, life will teach them someday. And that lesson will be painful...but they'll never forget it. Life is meant to teach us that we're not entitled to anything unless we earn it.

Archived