The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some kids have no respect

Heretic

I cannot stress this enough. "Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it."

Parents, yes I'm talking to you, stop buying your kids butt fcking everything from ipads to laptops to cell phones just so they'll stop whining.

We're growing up in a world where technology is becoming like a second home for kids.

What ever happened to discipline? No I don't mean take away there phone for 2 days. I mean making to take it to the driveway and smashing it into pieces.

You point one finger, there's 3 pointing back.

nite

I'm friends with quite a few teachers and all I can say is that the problems in school seem to be getting worse and worse. I don't know where it's all breaking down, but I can't believe the stories I hear. Kids threatening other kids and teachers and then acting on it. Parents excusing their child's behaviour. Kids not getting the accurate reprimands warranted. Hell in a hand basket, I swear!

A lot of it is a result of us becoming an "instant-gratification" society. Children learn to get what they want right away, and if they don't get it, they act out. As well, learned behaviours they garner from online experiences then translate to the real world. All the internet "trolling" and bad behaviour is showing up on the playground.

Parents are mostly to blame, and that also comes from a society that would rather put toys and iphones in their children's hands than actually do any real parenting and spending time with their children.

Timmy gets hurt on playground equipment...

Past:

Parents dealt with it.

Today:

Parents sue, as a result, monkey bars are becoming extinct.

Timmy misbehaves, at school and at home.

Past:

Timmy was punished, and knew that he was punished.

Today:

Who knows...

Timmy gets an F.

Past:

It was Timmy's fault.

Today:

It was the teacher's and school's fault.

These are 3 examples of what is wrong. And people without kids have to suffe through it.

It really is surprising. When my wife comes home, I find it absolutely terrible what kids can get away with now. And it's not only what they can get away with, but that they you can't really hold a kid back anymore. My wife has said that she has a student that has only come to 36 days of class so far this year, and she won't be allowed to hold him back. I remember having nightmares because I was having a difficult time in science in grade 7, thinking I would be held back if I didn't pass. This was motivation enough to try harder and get a good grade.

As a teacher, I say, "Where is the freaking Union on this?"

We don't have the whole story or know any history, so, there has to be more to it if the teacher was reprimanded. It's not the job of the board to reprimand teachers.

As a member of our Health and Safety Committee, I would also have these teachers file a Violent Incident Report. These kids are a safety issue for staff and students alike. From the report, a Safety Plan would have to be constructed and implemented for each of these kids. One of my recommendations would be to have these kids do their program at home via correspondence / Directed Learning.

Finally, bring in the RCMP. These are clearly 2 cases of assault, one straight up and one attempted. Charge the little bastards.

Our profession sure doesn't come with the built-in respect it once did. I believe we need to earn the kids respect, and vice-versa, but having chairs thrown at me and getting punched in the face were not what I signed up for 15 years ago, that's for sure!

A lot of it is a result of us becoming an "instant-gratification" society. Children learn to get what they want right away, and if they don't get it, they act out. As well, learned behaviours they garner from online experiences then translate to the real world. All the internet "trolling" and bad behaviour is showing up on the playground.

Parents are mostly to blame, and that also comes from a society that would rather put toys and iphones in their children's hands than actually do any real parenting and spending time with their children.

Kids have always misbehaved. They always push the boundaries of whats acceptable. It used to be that they found out pretty quick where the boundaries were. With parents and authority figures going so light on them now they are pushing far beyond what used to be the limit.

Bender on Futurama said it: "Parents, have you ever though to turn off your TV, sit down with your child and hit them"

If my kid misbehaves he gets punished. For small things its no Canucks game or iPod for the week. For bigger things its that and a spanking. Of course some of you won't agree with that but that was my childhood and I turned out fine. Our son is one of the most well behaved kids at school according to the teacher. We must be doing something right (although he just announced the Blackhawks are his 2nd favorite team :S)

It's stories like this that make me question what we are doing as a society...

Teachers at a school my wife was TOC'ing at, were talking about a couple of incidents.

The first was, a student punched a teacher in the face - for no reason.

Instead of the student being reprimanded - suspended - the board came down on the teacher and questioned why they were close enough to a student for them to get punched.

The second was where a student picked up a chair and threw it at a teacher - but missed,

Instead of the student being reprimanded - suspended - the board came down on the teacher and said "lucky you ducked".

Wow.

In my day, if a student did that - they were expelled.

Students respected teachers.

Parenting...parenting...parenting.

Parents need to take care of their kids better. That's the one major reason as to why kids have no respect. Then again, with all these new electronic devices that have popped up over the last 5-7 years or so, I can see why it's getting harder for parents.

Archived