Total: $4.75m

To CBJ:

D Keith Ballard ($4.2m, 3 years)

LW Bill Sweatt ($.900k, 1 year)*

Draft Pick: 3rd Round 2013 (VAN)

Total: $4.2m, 3 years

*Bill Sweatt salary does not effect cap

Breakdown & Analysis

The Canucks acquire two UFA contracts that expire at the end of the season while shipping out Ballard's troublesome multi-year deal. Furthermore, the Canucks gain valuable veteran experience and fill the gap left by Kesler's injury absence down the middle.

Adrian Aucoin returns in a Vancouver uniform and can play third pair minutes with ample time on the powerplay. Not expected to re-sign after the end of his contract, Aucoin can also teach youngster Chris Tanev how to play smart and can contribute the occasional goal.

Vinny Prospal has 10 points in 20 games this season for the Jackets and is likely to hit the trade market this deadline. The 38-year old is a pass-first center with a knack for timely goals. In 65 career playoffs games, Prospal has 10 goals and 35 points.

--

The Blue Jackets shore up their defense by acquiring Keith Ballard who could step into a top-4 position rightaway. Ballard's trade value is low but his value to the Jackets could be significantly higher. Paired with Jack Johnson, the two could mesh well and provide a dangerous combination of size, speed and skill in front of Mason/Bobrovsky.

Columbus also acquires Bill Sweatt's contract; the 23-year old suited up in two NHL games with the Canucks last season (0-0-0 pts) and has 20 points in 42 games with the Chicago Wolves this season. Sweatt is a low-risk acquisition for the Jackets who could use him rightaway with their younger players. His speed could pair well with Derrick Brassard, assuming the latter isn't moved this year. While Sweatt never had the opportunity to crack a talented and deep Canucks forward lineup, he could make an impact for the Jackets.

The Canucks also trade their third round draft pick to Columbus in this year's draft. This pick has already moved around a couple of times, with Vancouver trading and reacquiring the pick from Florida in the Samuelsson/Booth trade.

I've proposed Prospal before, and its a move that makes sense for Vancouver.

But just on a side-note: CBJ fans have said that Prospal is basically off the table, because he is expected to join the team in a management capacity after this year.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2012/02/prospal-signs-extension.html

The deal is worth $2.5 million and includes a no-trade clause. It also includes a gentleman's agreement that when Prospal's playing days are over, he'll stay with the organization in some capacity.

Hmmmmm. Its hard to say seeing how much I like Ballard, but it would fill holes we have now and next season after UFA's and their cap is nice.... Yeah ok I say good trade.

This is a really good proposal...in Prospal, we would also get a left handed centreman which we need.

Veteran presence for a playoff run would also be helpful and Aucoin would address the imbalance of left/right handed d-men that we seem to be struggling with.

Prospal and Aucoin would be good rentals and help us with cap situation for 2013-2014.

I doubt Bill Sweatt has any chance of cracking the Canucks roster anytime soon, and I see him being pushed further down the depth chart with the addition of Jensen (presuming that Raymond and Higgins are retained beyond this season), so I would expect him to be qualified only to provide depth for the farm team.

It would be great if we could somehow pry Dorsett out of Columbus as well. His nastiness would be a welcomed addition. Maybe throw Raymond into the mix and see if we can do a six player deal.

Archived