Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Are we gun shy to pull the trigger on deals.

Rumour

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 CanuckleHorse

CanuckleHorse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

POPULAR

I think being in a fish bowl has made Gillis gun shy. Mike now feels that the deal has to be a block buster type to appease the fans and media. We have prospects we have picks we have ufa's that could walk at the end of the season we have 2 starting goalies. At the moment we could make a number of smaller trades that could help but he seems to want to stand pat.

#2 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

POPULAR

Gillis shy to pull the trigger cost us Kadri and Schenn.

Kadri has like 20 points this year and is still developing. Not a huge fan of Schenn but at least he's big, physical and a right hand shot.

Edited by Lockhart, 28 February 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#3 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

You are on to something for sure...

#4 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

agree with above, because of his past mistakes, the ballard trade, letting erhoff go, the hodgson trade, he feels he needs to hit a home run with this trade in order to make up for those bad moves and ultimately redeem himself.
The worst thing he could do is sit by and not do anything as our team has deficiencies and injuries.

But ultimately- this team's time is over unless a miracle of a trade happens, like if someone gives us a young first line centre for a prospect who may never turn out.

#5 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Kadri has like 20 points this year and is still developing. Not a huge fan of Schenn but at least he's big, physical and a right hand shot.

Luongo said no to going to TO at the draft- fact, go check his brother's twitter acount, he tweeted about it.

#6 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,237 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

There's no proof he was offered Kadri and Schenn. I doubt the Leafs would even offer that.

Burke was rumored to have offered Schenn for Luongo, and then he offered Bozak and Kadri for Luongo. They were never rumored in the same package.

As for him being gun shy. I think he's scared of messing with the chemistry of the team. But as of right now there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that, so maybe it's a good time for a deal.

Edited by DeNiro, 28 February 2013 - 10:55 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#7 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Maybe he was hoping TO was going to stink this year, they are playing pretty good. Heck, they have more points then us.

#8 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

All I know is that I'm going to be tired of hearing for the next 10 years about how we should have kept this goalie or kept that goalie.

#9 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

POPULAR

I think making trades is harder than fans think

#10 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

All I know is that I'm going to be tired of hearing for the next 10 years about how we should have kept this goalie or kept that goalie.

Would u rather hear that we have had terrible goalies for ten years? The team has two starting goalies... u can argue skill wise that both are the top two goalies the franchise has ever had.
Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#11 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,247 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

POPULAR

Bingo.

zackass.png

#12 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Burke was rumored to have offered Schenn for Luongo, and then he offered Bozak and Kadri for Luongo. They were never rumored in the same package.

Boy, if Burke offered Bozak and Kadri for Luongo, I can see why he'd be fired.

#13 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Bingo.

Throughout the season the only trade of real substance (that I can immediately think of) is the Ryder/Cole swap.

People act like good players move daily...

#14 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

No he is just very patient.....Have faith!
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#15 CanuckleHorse

CanuckleHorse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Do you think sometimes feelings get involved if you become friends with someone you wont want to see them go right?

#16 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

He might still be waiting fora team to tank and take advantage of that. Though we need help now, and MG doesn't look like he'll do anything.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#17 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,953 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I think being in a fish bowl has made Gillis gun shy. Mike now feels that the deal has to be a block buster type to appease the fans and media. We have prospects we have picks we have ufa's that could walk at the end of the season we have 2 starting goalies. At the moment we could make a number of smaller trades that could help but he seems to want to stand pat.

What is the point of posting this before the trade deadline?
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#18 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Nobody thought Kadri would do this well. At the time, everyone would have called for MG's head if he traded a goalie for Kadri.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#19 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

Do you think sometimes feelings get involved if you become friends with someone you wont want to see them go right?

MG has been a player agent for years, and has shown to be extremely objective
(Malhotra situation, letting Salo go come to mind).

I think its just not as easy to make trades as simple minded fans think.

#20 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

He might still be waiting fora team to tank and take advantage of that. Though we need help now, and MG doesn't look like he'll do anything.

If our goaltending doesn't hold up and our team keeps playing like it is,. it will be the Nucks tanking. Then try to get a favourable deal.

#21 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

POPULAR

MG was also hired as a rookie GM. IT was a shock to me when he was hired. One would think with a team that had the likes of the sedins and luongo the Canucks would have hired a seasoned more proven GM instead of a rookie.

Because in situations like this, things such as not pulling the trigger can occur, or pulling the trigger and giving up to much like premature moves happen. For instance why not wait till july 1st, if we lost out on hamhuis why not then try to trade for Ballard, we would have had a 1st round pick like Howden and could have made a trade at a different time. He prematurely made the move and now we have too many high priced lhd.

Same goes with signing Garrison, 6 years 4.6m ntc!!?? for a guy who had one decent year where a large portion of his points and goals were score in the first half of the season, seriously come one im sure gm's around the league couldnt believe that move. Dont get me wrong I like garrison but I was hoping for a bridge contract of 2-3years at around 3 m or so as a home town discount.

Once a goalie trade happens that is a huge telling of where our team is headed and what MG has done. I agree with the post about Kadri. I saw his potential and I think he just needed a fresh start and thought he could be serviceable and excel, well that boat and sailed.

The coach should be on the hot seat hes had many years with a great roster and hasnt done enough past 2nd round once, yes it was cup final game 7. Who cares president trophies big whoop it sure helped when we played the 8th seed last year and got ousted early in the 1st round.

If i was the owner I would be a bit concerned with the direction of this team. Losing our toughest player to waivers, he could hit, was a decent skater and stood up for teammates what more can you ask for in a 4th line grinder? Now we have a ton of money spent on D men and goalies, and some higher priced forwards who are injury prone and havent had time to gel (booth,Kesler)

Wheres are so despereately needed secondary scoring? Remove our great goaltending performances early in the year and we could but in a whole different situation. You cant rely on a goalie every night, same as the cup final. Even tho Luo had some crapty games he also won us a few aswell. Our team scored 8 goals all series, Most teams would have lost in 4 or 5 games if that was the case. And to this date we still lack quality secondary scoring 2 years later...

#22 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

If getting Zack Kassian, who was nowhere NEAR as effective as Hodgson was last year, for Cody "supposed Trevor Linden 2.0" Hodgson is gun-shy, then sure he can be called gun shy. IF getting guys via free agency to add to the core group already here without giving up picks, prospects, pending UFA's is gun shy, then yes he is gun shy. If being responsible with his future assets and cap space, at the expense of getting an expensive elite guy who may or may not get it done and who for almost certain wouldn't be around in the future (i.e. a rental) is gun shy, then yes, he SHOULD be gun shy! He's set the Sedins and other core guys as the key pieces, so who would you suggest they move from that group to get a big name piece, at the expense of our depth of talent?

Thing is, why affect the chemistry that's already present? I'd rather have him tinkering (and of course adding guys like Higgins and Lapierre in moves where possible) but the roster structure's been set, with the Sedins, Burrows and Kes as the keys for the Top 6, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler in the D and Lu or Schneider in goal, with a mishmash of solid complementary guys. How could anyone miss that fact?

Thing is folks, it takes more than guts to make trades. Without proper deliberation the team would end up looking worse than before, and THEN people would be asking for his head. Y'all should be happy that he wants both short AND long-term success for this team.

Besides, riddle me this: how often do you see game-breaking players for sale? If they WERE for sale it would be b/c they were struggling. Now, if they're struggling (think Ovie when he was slumping) why would you want them at that price? Come on people! :picard:

Edited by g@m3b0i, 01 March 2013 - 12:01 AM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#23 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

As far as I know, Leafs never offered up Kadri to us. Brian Burkes best offer was Luke Schenn a 1st round pick in 2013 and a 2nd round pick in 2013 for Luongo, which is laugable. on top of that, we already heard through rumors that Luongo did not want to waive his NTC to Toronto. So Kadri or not, it will never happen.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#24 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

This is a "trade, rumour, signing" how, again?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#25 Kola Nuts

Kola Nuts

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

Oi yoi yoi. MG has said numerous times that making hockey trades can take alot of time, and can involve many variables. And you forget other teams are operating on the same principles. To uninformed fans, it`s easy to think making trades is no different
than NHL13.

I`m sure Gillis is examining weaknesses of the team and determining what to do about it. Let the man do his job.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE, 01 March 2013 - 12:32 AM.

Posted Image

#26 The-Impersonator

The-Impersonator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

Luongo said no to going to TO at the draft- fact, go check his brother's twitter acount, he tweeted about it.

Yes, he also said no to Columbus at in the summer as well.

#27 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,247 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

Throughout the season the only trade of real substance (that I can immediately think of) is the Ryder/Cole swap.

People act like good players move daily...

Yeah I know, trades are hard to make, you have to find the perfect fit and the perfect partner.

I am willing to bet out of every 10 possibilites you explore with any reasonability, atleast 9.5 of those endevors fail to gain any serious traction.

Trades aren't easy to make, people gotta understand MG can't get whoever he wants whenever he wants too.

zackass.png

#28 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Nobody likes dealing with him and only tallon does although he keeps giving us junk.

I think gillis will be canned first before AV; maybe Burke returns ? Weirder things have happened.

#29 papagrizz

papagrizz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

i think mg is a crappy gm, only good move he had was trading for higgins, dont say hamhuis because so many teams offered him contracts and the only reason he came here was because hes a BC boy and wanted to play at home, its not like gillis pulled any magic to get him

#30 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

give him a chance

Edited by Derp..., 01 March 2013 - 02:12 AM.

Sig too big.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rumour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.