The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we gun shy to pull the trigger on deals.

CanuckleHorse

Oi yoi yoi.  MG has said numerous times that making hockey trades can take alot of time, and can involve many variables.  And you forget other teams are operating on the same principles.  To uninformed fans, it`s easy to think making trades is no different

than NHL13.  

I`m sure Gillis is examining weaknesses of the team and determining what to do about it.  Let the man do his job.

There's no proof he was offered Kadri and Schenn. I doubt the Leafs would even offer that.

Burke was rumored to have offered Schenn for Luongo, and then he offered Bozak and Kadri for Luongo. They were never rumored in the same package.

As for him being gun shy. I think he's scared of messing with the chemistry of the team. But as of right now there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that, so maybe it's a good time for a deal.

Lu for 1st

Kesler for 1st +

Booth,. higgins for 1st

Bieksa for 1st

Hamhuis for 1st +

Garrison for 1st

make them waive their ntc's

add that to canucks' 1st = 7 1st rd picks in deep draft. Window is now, this core aint getting any younger or better. If Gillis cant get them over the hump then its better to tank. Cup or Bust! As it stands right now this team won't go all the way; maybe 2nd rd or conf finals but that should be considered a big failure.

Would prefer not to tank, so Gillis it is up to you to make this team wayy better by deadline. If not then just build for the future and don't settle for 2nd rd or conf finals appearance!

Canucks dont go all the way and next year they are stuck with aging sedins, injury prone kesler, aging defensemen in bieksa and hamhuis while other teams' younger superstars will hit their prime.

Also stuck with overpaid players in booth, ballard, garrison.

I always love how, when players start panning out as hoped, people take a "see, I told you so" attitude. Or when our guys drag their feet a little, we should scrap everything.

Kadri's work ethic could likely be called into question at certain times...sure, the dream and desire was there, but he was a little inconsistent and it took awhile to get him to buckle down. There is never any certainty in that and, as much as he's lighting it up now, he's been a work in project. If you're screaming for roster players who'll contribute on an immediate basis to improve things, he was by no means a sure bet for that, despite the success he's having. In hindsight, every deal is horrible/great but you don't have that crystal ball available.

Patient and steady has been the approach...although it doesn't give the gamers that daily deal instant gratification that they're looking for, you don't simply "get" players or send them elsewhere. I have faith in MG, as a calculating GM who has recently been acknowledged as the best GM in the league. At that level, it usually doesn't indicate a flash in the pan thing or someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

Ha, if you know anything about MG's history, you'd know he'd likely be anything but gun shy. A guy who stands by his convictions and isn't easily swayed...one who's had to stand up in the face of adversity and often, that did mean standing alone. This is a guy who acts on things - he doesn't react, as some here would have him do.

You're so blind its ridiculous. 'Only good move was trading for Higgins' :lol: Lets take a look here

Over Gillis's tenure here he has

- Gave up next to nothing for Ehrhoff

- Brought in Samuelsson (later sent to Florida for a second line power forward in Booth)

- Signed a top 2 D man (Hamhuis)

- Signed Torres (who was amazing here)

- Re-signed the Sedins

- Re-signed Burrows (twice)

- Traded a rookie who was complaining about ice time for a promising young power forward

- Got Lapierre for dirt cheap

- Drafted big and skilled players over the last two years (Jensen and Gaunce)

- Re-signed Kesler

- Re-signed Luongo

- Kept both goalies due to the risk of one getting injured and not getting the right offer (payed off nicely so far)

Gillis has really only made three bad moves so far

- Trading for Ballard while giving up Grabner and a 1st which could've been Howden, Kuznetsov, Etem etc

- Let Ehrhoff go

- Let Torres

Need I go on?

Oh yea, he was also GM of the year two years ago.

Yes 2 pres trophies, One SCF appearance

A jennings winning pair

Signing Schnieder to a good contract

Signing the Sedins to a discount

Signing Edler to a discount

Signing Hammer

Signing Burr to a discount

Not panicking because we're not undefeated

bad GM bad GM, bad coach, bad team. I am a canuck baby...I expect a win every game dammit.Clearly, I have never played a sport in my life because I expect my team to play a whole season without losing, to be first overall every year, to win the stanley cup every year, because know what? My mommy gave me ribbons for just participating and gave me everything I want, so my canucks have to give me what I want. I want pefection, I want them to play better than the Oilers of the 80's and when they don't I am going to whine and cry and complain, because when I do mommy gives me what I want, so why don't the canucks?

I think you're missing a few things... and suddenly the list changes in weight heavily...

Over Gillis's tenure here he has

- Gave up next to nothing for Ehrhoff

- Brought in Samuelsson (later sent to Florida for a second line power forward in Booth)

- Signed a top 2 D man (Hamhuis)

- Signed Torres (who was amazing here)

- Re-signed the Sedins

- Re-signed Burrows (twice)

- Traded a rookie who was complaining about ice time for a promising young power forward

- Got Lapierre for dirt cheap

- Drafted big and skilled players over the last two years (Jensen and Gaunce)

- Re-signed Kesler

- Re-signed Luongo

- Kept both goalies due to the risk of one getting injured and not getting the right offer (payed off nicely so far)

Gillis has really only made three quite a few bad moves so far

- Trading for Ballard while giving up Grabner and a 1st which could've been Howden, Kuznetsov, Etem etc

- Let Ehrhoff go

- Let Torres

-Mismanaged Hodgson (our best prospect since the last lockout) and his injury and traded him for a prospect that may or may not pan out, at a time when we needed a scoring center and Kesler was clearly injured heading into the playoffs

-Signed Garrison to a terrible contract when a RHD was needed not another left

-Gave Luongo the "C"

-Signed Luongo to a terrible contract

-Kept both goalies when other assets are needed. Terrible mismanagement of this situation

-Let Salo go despite his presence when healthy being clearly evident and replace him with Garrison

-Barebones prospect pool, ranked one of the worst in the league

-Punted Malhotra under questionable circumstances

-Failed to adress weaknesses like toughness while letting strengths like scoring from the back end weaken

-Offered Sundin a horrendous contract that would have left no room to resign the Sedins

-Signed Marco Sturm in the first place! Duhh!

-Has a D corps making way too much $$ with little upside

I'd say he's not as good as your original list.

Lu for 1st

Kesler for 1st +

Booth,. higgins for 1st

Bieksa for 1st

Hamhuis for 1st +

Garrison for 1st

make them waive their ntc's

add that to canucks' 1st = 7 1st rd picks in deep draft. Window is now, this core aint getting any younger or better. If Gillis cant get them over the hump then its better to tank. Cup or Bust! As it stands right now this team won't go all the way; maybe 2nd rd or conf finals but that should be considered a big failure.

Would prefer not to tank, so Gillis it is up to you to make this team wayy better by deadline. If not then just build for the future and don't settle for 2nd rd or conf finals appearance!

Canucks dont go all the way and next year they are stuck with aging sedins, injury prone kesler, aging defensemen in bieksa and hamhuis while other teams' younger superstars will hit their prime.

Also stuck with overpaid players in booth, ballard, garrison.

Yes 2 pres trophies, One SCF appearance

A jennings winning pair

Signing Schnieder to a good contract

Signing the Sedins to a discount

Signing Edler to a discount

Signing Hammer

Signing Burr to a discount

Not panicking because we're not undefeated

bad GM bad GM, bad coach, bad team. I am a canuck baby...I expect a win every game dammit.Clearly, I have never played a sport in my life because I expect my team to play a whole season without losing, to be first overall every year, to win the stanley cup every year, because know what? My mommy gave me ribbons for just participating and gave me everything I want, so my canucks have to give me what I want. I want pefection, I want them to play better than the Oilers of the 80's and when they don't I am going to whine and cry and complain, because when I do mommy gives me what I want, so why don't the canucks?

Can't blame Gillis for injuries and it's effects on the team. Just look at this lineup

Sedins-Burr

Booth-Kesler-Kassian/higgins

Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

sestito-Lapierre-kassian/Higgins

Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts

Luongo

Schneider

That's a damn good lineup. There could be slight upgrades like getting a top 6 winger to replace higgins/kassian in the top 6 or get a good RD since we have LD who struggle playing RD or get a 3rd line C who is bigger.

Trading a goalie for a top 6 winger or a RD or center depth would be the only knock right now for Gillis.

it's hard for the players to get chemistry with AV always changing the lines every shift it seems and injuries. Sedins-Burr are the only line set it stone over the years and that changes too

I think being in a fish bowl has made Gillis gun shy. Mike now feels that the deal has to be a block buster type to appease the fans and media. We have prospects we have picks we have ufa's that could walk at the end of the season we have 2 starting goalies. At the moment we could make a number of smaller trades that could help but he seems to want to stand pat.

I always love how, when players start panning out as hoped, people take a "see, I told you so" attitude. Or when our guys drag their feet a little, we should scrap everything.

Kadri's work ethic could likely be called into question at certain times...sure, the dream and desire was there, but he was a little inconsistent and it took awhile to get him to buckle down. There is never any certainty in that and, as much as he's lighting it up now, he's been a work in project. If you're screaming for roster players who'll contribute on an immediate basis to improve things, he was by no means a sure bet for that, despite the success he's having. In hindsight, every deal is horrible/great but you don't have that crystal ball available.

Patient and steady has been the approach...although it doesn't give the gamers that daily deal instant gratification that they're looking for, you don't simply "get" players or send them elsewhere. I have faith in MG, as a calculating GM who has recently been acknowledged as the best GM in the league. At that level, it usually doesn't indicate a flash in the pan thing or someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

Ha, if you know anything about MG's history, you'd know he'd likely be anything but gun shy. A guy who stands by his convictions and isn't easily swayed...one who's had to stand up in the face of adversity and often, that did mean standing alone. This is a guy who acts on things - he doesn't react, as some here would have him do.

Gillis has a lot of difficulty making good trades. His biggest trades have crippled this team. He's the reason the current team is struggling and our future looks bleak with a lack of quality prospects.

He started off OK but has been going downhill since he traded away Grabner and a first for Ballard. He's transformed the highest scoring team in the league to what we have now

...and then he lets Volpatti go for nothing when we desperately need more grit.

Good GMs don't find it hard to consistently make trades that work out.

Archived