The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 NHL UFA's Class - Canuck targets?

I'm not proposing that the season is over or any of that so don't fret.

Just curious what you guys think would be some players the Canucks could or should target REALISTICALLY!

CDC has been bombarded with 'blow up the team' threads lately, so out of discussion purposes only let's try and keep it legit.

The 2013 UFA's

I like to think that MG and the brass are always looking to make the team better, but always are doing it in a manner of longterm planning and not irrationally trying to grab at everything *cough*FEASTER*cough

Notable UFA's for Vancouver in 2013

Raymond

Higgins

Manny (ok this one is solved) - I don't like the move personally, but hey you gotta make tough decisions

Ebbett

Lappiere

Full list can be seen here: Canucks CapGeek

Centre is obviously a hole that needs to be filled.

- Trades can be made to acquire possibly (Luongo or Schneider...IMO it will be Lu traded).

Players I would like to see the Canucks take a stab at and that I think would fit:

Big names - Roy or Weiss at centre (not realistic, but could take a decent stab especially with Kesler health seemingly being a question)

C - Steckel

C - Adam Hall

C - Chipchura

Some wingers: Obvious big name wish list is Perry.

RW- Larose

RW- Boyes

RW- Yip

Big name wish list : LW - Clowe or Morrow (I know probably too much, but I like their grit)

Lw - Drew Miller

Lw - Mashinter

Lw - Rosehill

I'm obviously not saying all of the - but I'd like to see brass take a stab at these guys. Some of the pricey ones I did put in for fun, but think they add something to the team that's needed.

Feel free to disagree, but please add what you'd like to see - it's meant for discussion.

Cheers CDC

I hope we re-sign Higgins and Lapierre, Raymond too if he continues to produce. Also must keep Tanev and Schroeder.

I think MG made it clear that one goalie will be traded after this season. Which unfortunately will be Lu despite outplaying Cory thus far. We'll get a top 6 forward out of that I would think.

Clowe will get re-signed for sure. Morrow and Perry will either be signed or traded at the deadline imo.

raymond has cooled off and is less than .5ppg. What is that worth? we need to make room for Kassian and Jensen to be given legit chances at top 9 roles. Not dropping them down to 4th line and mixing line combos up.

I think right now Raymond has some trade value as does ballard. But if we wait too long and their play drops they may become untradeable and I would hate to see us have to amnesty buyout any player.

I think we can upgrade over Lapierre personally. Someone with more grit or scoring or someone along the lines of talbot who is a clutch playoff performer and shutdown guy. lappy is decent but sometimes you have to make changes to the line up

whoever we may go after and sign, all i hope is we dont give them a longer term deal with a highish cap hit and a ntc unless its for a proven legit player. We seem to give out some hefty long term deals lately with ntc, exception to edler who i dont believe has one

It's tough to say, we are going to struggle to get under the cap, so I doubt we have the space to pull off anything significant.

Personally I think we should let either Higgins or Raymond go, maybe both if Jensen comes over and plays really well, we have alot of wingers, no need to hold down young guys that can contribute to keep them around, plus that would then open up cap space for a move.

The one name on that list that stood out to me was David Clarkson. He's following up last year's breakout campaign with another solid showing and if he's not intent on re-signing in NJ he'll be a highly sought after free agent. He's 28, he hits and fights as well as any, SCORES, and is just getting into the prime of his career. If it meant losing Higgins and Raymond, I would gladly throw 4+ million his way. Whether he'd want to play here, though, is an entirely different matter.

I think we should use a winger as potential trade bait for a 3rd line center.

Raymond for Goc

some may say we over pay some may say we dont.

To me its a good move, we gain a quality 3rd line center, we save a bit of cap and retain him after this season. Raymond has an opportunity to fit in Floridas top 6 and fit in with their mix of younger forwards, and I can see florida offering him 3m or so a year as they have given out contracts like that to other players who arent as good as him

Trade Raymond and try to get anything for him before he walks on free agency. As mentioned earlier, Kassian needs a bigger role next year, as well as integrating Jensen into the line up. Let Ebbett walk, and only re-sign Lappy if there isn't a better option available. With the salary cap going down next season I think the Canucks off season should be more about addition by subtraction as opposed to spending a bunch of money of free agents.

Once again, make space available for Jensen, as well as a bigger roll for Kassian and Schroeder, and hope that the pieces coming back in goalie trade are young cheap assets that slot into the line up right away (Bjugstad, Shore, Johansson etc) and skip the free agent frenzy.

UNLESS..... If the Canucks can move Ballard, and use the cap savings of not re-signing Raymond, I would love to see them go after Perry.

I'd like to see Higgins let go and re-sign Raymond and try to land Weiss if possible. I think have Weiss on the second line would strenghten our team and i would experiment with kesler as a winger like when he was powerplay with the Sedins. Also including bringing up Jensen my lines would look like this.

D.Sedin H.Sedin Z.Kassian

A.Burrows D.Weiss R.Kesler

M.Raymond J.Schreider N.Jensen

D.Wiess Lappy Hanson

Realistically I would be happy with Larose, Chipcura, or Hall. I have been a big fan of Hall's ever since he scored on Detroit 19 seconds in to the first game of the first round of the playoffs. I hate Detroit.

The Canucks will resign Lappy,Higgins,Tanev and will let raymond go. Their is no such thing as an upgrade over lapierre unless u are willing to pay more then 2 mill per year. The Canucks will look like this next season

Sedins-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Schroeder-Jensen

Weise-Lapierre-Hansen

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Tanev-Edler

Garrison-obyrne

Schneider-Theodore

Plus one; I'm in for Clarkson! Exactly the RW we need to compliment Hansen & Kass! Burrows either stays with the Twins, or plays with Kesler and Clarkson. Thats a nasty edge to a hard working line!

Prob have to give up Higgins and Raymond, which assumes Jensen makes it on the left side.II'm ok with when u look at the line above...

The one name on that list that stood out to me was David Clarkson. He's following up last year's breakout campaign with another solid showing and if he's not intent on re-signing in NJ he'll be a highly sought after free agent. He's 28, he hits and fights as well as any, SCORES, and is just getting into the prime of his career. If it meant losing Higgins and Raymond, I would gladly throw 4+ million his way. Whether he'd want to play here, though, is an entirely different matter.

Archived