Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Vicious Jamie Benn Crosscheck on Ryan Jones

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Suspension-worthy? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

How many games will Benn be supsended?

1. None (26 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 1-2 games (13 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 3-4 games (10 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

4. 5-7 games (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 8+ games (3 votes [5.77%])

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Just watched the OIlers vs Dallas highlights (watching Hockey2nite) and there were more dangerous hits. Dallas player boarded potter and he left the game. Dallas was just taking runs at players to the point that gagner fought someone

#32 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,000 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

No suspension.

307mg00.jpg

#33 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Where the hell were Jones' teammates?

That aside, one game. If instigating a fight in the last five minutes of a game is suspension-worthy, a crosscheck to the back is as well, especially in a 5-1 game.

#34 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,507 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Probably 1 game....but if Lucic did it - nothing.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#35 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

I can't wait till the media starts calling him a coward, goon, headhunter, and use words like classless, reckless to describe him.

Oh wait...he's not a Canuck? Carry on...

I don't recall any members of the media being overly critical of a Canucks player since Ron MacLean's diatribe on Burrows. Most members of the media disagreed with the Hansen suspension....

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#36 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

I wouldn't go as far as vicious but it was incredibly stupid, 1 game max. To be honest I thought Dillon's hit on Eberle was more "vicious" however Eberle wasn't hurt and is not a Blackhawk so no suspension on that expected.

Edited by canuck73_3, 01 March 2013 - 11:46 AM.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#37 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Looked to me like Jones went in a little too hard into the goalie, but then obviously tried not to hurt the goalie and even seemed like he was asking the guy if he was ok. His 2 for goalie interference was punishment enough. No need for that dirty hit. That being said, not sure it's worth a suspension. Just an *&& beating next game with the Oilers.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#38 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Its no where as vicious as Hansen's intentional take down of Hossa right?

#39 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'm a huge Benn fan but I hate to see players hit other players without the puck. In this case Jones wasn't even involved at all in the play, totally uncalled for Benn deserves to be suspended for this one.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#40 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Fine both of them $2500 benn for being a tard, Jones for diving.

#41 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,287 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

I think it's fairly obvious that it was retaliation for Jones running the goalie. Still, I'd hardly call that "vicious". It was a bit cheap, but it sure didn't look as bad as Jones made it seem.

My guess is a game, maybe two.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#42 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie: NHL is having a disciplinary hearing tomorrow with DAL's Jamie Benn for his crosschecking major last night vs. EDM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#43 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Lol that was far from "vicious", if Jones really was that hurt from that he shouldn't be playing in the NHL out of concern for his saftey. It was for sure a penalty but a suspension would be laughable. The true stupidity of it all is Benn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jones on his worst days, should of been someone else going for Jones.
Posted Image

#44 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Please note that that replay was slowed down. That was a hard, hard crosscheck for absolutely no reason. You want to get at him for running into the goalie fine, do it to his face. Cowardly, idiotic and I hope he gets 3 or 4.

And no, this doesn't "happen every game". That was as hard as he could crosscheck to a completely unsuspecting player who wasn't braced for anything. Look at the way his head whips back. That's bad and I don't doubt for a second that it hurt like hell.

#45 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Please note that that replay was slowed down. That was a hard, hard crosscheck for absolutely no reason. You want to get at him for running into the goalie fine, do it to his face. Cowardly, idiotic and I hope he gets 3 or 4.

And no, this doesn't "happen every game". That was as hard as he could crosscheck to a completely unsuspecting player who wasn't braced for anything. Look at the way his head whips back. That's bad and I don't doubt for a second that it hurt like hell.

I'm sorry i see 4 or 5 crosschecks harder than this on Burrows and the Sedins almost every single game. As soon as they are down they jump up and carry on playing... Maybe he was really hurt and it wasn't an act but if that is the case Jones should retire from hockey cause his body just isn't cut out for it.
Posted Image

#46 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Looked like he was shot dead just like Hossa.

#47 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Nothing.

Jones is a wimp. I've seen players get cross checked harder than that in front of the net.
Posted Image

#48 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm sorry i see 4 or 5 crosschecks harder than this on Burrows and the Sedins almost every single game. As soon as they are down they jump up and carry on playing... Maybe he was really hurt and it wasn't an act but if that is the case Jones should retire from hockey cause his body just isn't cut out for it.

Well, that's just an absurd statement. So every player that has been injured on a play that other people haven't been injured by in the past should retire? Did you even think about what you were writing there?

#49 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

lol it was a bad crosscheck, but i seriously doubt it's suspension-worthy. 5000 dollar fine at most.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#50 Canorcas

Canorcas

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Great act by Jones.

I know what it's like getting checked in that area. It's the one area of your torso that's not really covered by anything, so yeah, it does suck getting crossed in there.

But come on, you'd think somebody shot the guy.

The entire game, Edmonton was playing physical against Benn whenever they had him on the boards and corners. They're losing 5-1, Jones was probably running his mouth and he took matters in his own hands.

I understand that the league is already looking into this, but for what it's worth.. It's not a headshot..

Posted Image
is my blog on Canucks.com

#51 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Was not that bad, why is Jones lying there like he's dead? He shouldn't go messing with the other team's goalie like that.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#52 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,704 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

I don't recall any members of the media being overly critical of a Canucks player since Ron MacLean's diatribe on Burrows. Most members of the media disagreed with the Hansen suspension....

I wish I could find it, but Chicago media personnel on Twitter after that game were acting like it was Torres on Seabrook.

#53 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

For the record, I don't think Benn should have been suspended for this. Sometimes a penalty is good enough and this was of those cases.

With that said...Jones dives? People actually think that? That was a hard cross check that he didn't expect to come. Have you ever had the wind knocked out of you? Maybe it doesn't cause an injury but there is about a minute there where you really feel like you're in bad shape. He gets cross checked in the back hard and then falls face first onto the ice. If you're criticizing this, you're an internet tough guy. This happens to anyone and they're hurting.

...and I know people get cross checked in the front of the net but its a little different when you're expecting it.

#54 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:13 AM

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#55 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

If Burrows had reacted like that when he took the punch to the face on a "hockey play" last week, It'd have been a game misconduct, $2500 and at least 2 games.

Burrows that is...
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#56 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

I wouldn't even have called a major on that play..........I really hope they don't turn this league into a league for felines

#57 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,085 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Benn got fined $10k ouch

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#58 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Only fined 10K because according to Shanahan he is a first time offender, well last time I checked Hansen was a first time offender but he was still suspended. The hit Benn did to Jones was 100 times worse then what Hansen did with Hossa, at least Hansens was a hockey play to get the puck, Benns had nothing to do with the puck or the play of the game, it was all intent to injure. But that's ok I guess to the NHL just a little slap on the wrist, BUSH LEAGUE.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#59 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,953 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Pfft. Crosschecks like that happen in front of the crease all game long. Jones gets up if he's in that area, imho.

It was a cheapshot, and that gets a penalty. That's it.

Everyone these days is so p-fied it's ridiculous. Suspension? Lol.
Posted Image

#60 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,953 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Meanwhile Hansen's hit was to the head. That can be suspension-worthy any day.

Besides the Hawks have Scotty Bowman in their back pocket and therefore the refs too.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.