Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Vicious Jamie Benn Crosscheck on Ryan Jones

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Suspension-worthy? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

How many games will Benn be supsended?

1. None (26 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 1-2 games (13 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 3-4 games (10 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

4. 5-7 games (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 8+ games (3 votes [5.77%])

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Well, that's just an absurd statement. So every player that has been injured on a play that other people haven't been injured by in the past should retire? Did you even think about what you were writing there?

Yah he's either faking or made of glass either way no suspension is the right call. Just cause you want to twist my words into what you believe they are saying doesn't make what I wrote mean that. He hardly hit Jones, cheap shot? Yes. Penalty? yes. Suspension because some of you feel it was an attempt to injure? definitely not. He clearly over reacts to the hit to draw a penalty, fine I can appreciate that and it worked but as far as the discipline that goes for that particular hit Shanny got it right.
Posted Image

#62 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Only fined 10K because according to Shanahan he is a first time offender, well last time I checked Hansen was a first time offender but he was still suspended. The hit Benn did to Jones was 100 times worse then what Hansen did with Hossa, at least Hansens was a hockey play to get the puck, Benns had nothing to do with the puck or the play of the game, it was all intent to injure. But that's ok I guess to the NHL just a little slap on the wrist, BUSH LEAGUE.

I agree, there is no rhyme or reason to some suspensions called or ignored ???

So many others besides the Rome 1 sec late hockey play 4 playoff games,Hansens, and then non hockey plays like Boychuck on Raymond, the one on Burrows,and Benn recently You could do pages on here that make You shake Your head and say what happened to precedence ?
Just like Reffing changes from period to period or to the gamescore,Playoffs etc so do the rulings. This League is not about being fair and honest to Sports,sportsmanship,integrity and the game Any longer
I already know of many people who lived by the sport, and now just have a mild interest, I am at the start of it myself. Why invest time and interest in something,that seems managed like Wresting is? All the strikes/lockouts did nothing to make the game any better for the fans.Its about making money and Not letting markets feel too hopeless and lose interest in their teams

#63 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Thats a dive.

Unless of course you think its possible to knock a man unconcious by hitting him in the small of the back.

#64 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Jeez, suspensions for roughing? Fines for a cross-check to the back? What is happening to the NHL?

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#65 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Besides the Hawks have Scotty Bowman in their back pocket and therefore the refs too.

??? This one really makes me scratch my head. The Hawks/Bruins hate here is becoming more and more irrational by the day.

#66 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

??? This one really makes me scratch my head. The Hawks/Bruins hate here is becoming more and more irrational by the day.

Scotty has made that team 10x better since arriving. Meanwhile Detroit's been declining since his departure.

His presense helps.
Posted Image

#67 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

Have anyone notice he hit his head pretty hard on the ice...? Not only that, he was completely off his guard and just made a stop, just as Benn crosschecked him.

Jones wasn't intended to crash into the goalie. Did you see how he apologized to him?

I have to say that is suspension worthy to Benn..

#68 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:51 AM

Benn's an ugly scrub feline move

#69 Maninthebox

Maninthebox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

Benn should have been given 1-2, but it's a star cheap-shotting a 4th liner so the decision is not surprising at all. Shanny is such a disappointment, I really had hopes he would do a better job in that role.

Lot of internet tough guys playing down that shot should lace em up and come for a skate. Tools.

#70 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Scotty has made that team 10x better since arriving. Meanwhile Detroit's been declining since his departure.

His presense helps.

Agreed but what does Bowman have to do with the refs allegedly being in the Hawks' pocket?

#71 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

His presense helps.

oops dp.

Edited by thema, 03 March 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#72 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Benn should have been given 1-2, but it's a star cheap-shotting a 4th liner so the decision is not surprising at all. Shanny is such a disappointment, I really had hopes he would do a better job in that role.

Lot of internet tough guys playing down that shot should lace em up and come for a skate. Tools.

I've been "lacing 'em up" for over four decades and I've taken plenty of those. I can't recall seeing too many guys lying prone for that long after a crosscheck in the back. If Jones wasn't embellishing, he's got some sort of back issue that I'm not aware of...

That being said, I concur with your assessment of the reasoning behind the "punishment". If the roles had been reversed, I have little doubt that Jones would have received a game or two. There's no doubt in my mind that this incident was as bad, or worse than the Hansen hit on Hossa...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#73 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Zero games. Why? Coz he is a considered an all star and we know how much preferential treatment the league shows to such players...

#74 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,721 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Says the internet tough guy.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.