79 replies to this topic

#1 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

But the wild are a mere 2 point behind us with Colorado, Calgary and Edmonton all within a couple points. Canucks continue mediocrity and complacent play and they'll be out of a playoff spot.

Oh and the hawks are still on fire. That's a team to emulate. Play with skill, fire and a no nonsense coach.

#2 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

I was going to make the same point as the OP. People keep saying that the Northwest Division is terrible and that the Canucks are a lock to win the Division. That is completely wrong. As the OP points out, Minny is 2 points back and Parise and Suter are only just getting adjusted to the Wild. The Canucks could easily lose to Minnesota.

And Edmonton is one team that will be better at the end of the season than at the beginning as their young stars are on rapid improvement trajectories.

The Canucks should have a good goaltending if we manage to avoid messing up both goalies, and the defence should be good, especially when Bieksa comes back and as Garrison feels more comfortable in the Canucks system.

But obviously the Canucks do not have legitimate second line and are very weak at the centre position. I expect a close race in the NW Division.

#3 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

POPULAR

Maybe a tough divisional race is what this team needs to shake their complacency.

It's not like running away with the division has helped us in the past.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#4 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

I've been thinking and saying the same thing for a while now, and it will only get tougher as time goes on. New is def not a easy conference to be in with our current rooster and situation.

Also since quite a few goalies and backup goalies are doing quite well, I think moving Lu will be tough and the return might not be super hot.
Posted Image

#5 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

If things go the wrong way for us, we could technically be out of a playoff spot by the end of the weekend with only 24 games remaining. The scary part is that the teams chasing us are trending up. Minny has been brutal the first half of the season but they are only 2 points behind. Edmonton is only 4 points back.

And with Kes gone for the next 6 weeks, the goaltending issue hanging over this team, and the general lack of urgency around this team, it's not out of the realm of possibility that we might miss the playoffs.

The stretch drive should be exciting, but truth be told, I have a weird feeling about our team this year (and not in a good way). But DeNiro makes a good point...that having to play meaningful games leading up to the playoffs would be a good thing.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#6 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

adversity builds character, comradery and focus.
linden Vey Sig

#7 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

But the wild are a mere 2 point behind us with Colorado, Calgary and Edmonton all within a couple points. Canucks continue mediocrity and complacent play and they'll be out of a playoff spot.

Oh and the hawks are still on fire. That's a team to emulate. Play with skill, fire and a no nonsense coach.

IMHO, this is exactly what we need. Someone to wipe the floor with the players when they're playing like crap. Someone who will get pissed when none of his D can take care of their own zone. Someone who will light a fire under his forwards for playing around the perimeter all the time and relying on the D to make plays. Someone to TALK to his players when he calls a god damn timeout! That's the part that pisses me off the most. Talk to your players, set up some plays, yell at them to get them going when you need to. It drives me insane how he's always chewing his gum and staring at the jumbotron during the timeout that he calls once in a blue moon. I played rugby in highschool and this one time we had an abysmal half so my coach yelled at us so loud that the other team across the field started staring and could hear every single thing he said. We came back in the second half and won the game. The goalies are not the issue here, they've been playing great for us and they've been stealing every point we got this season. To me it all comes back to the coaching staff, more specifically AV and Newell Brown.

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#8 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

hahah, its about time the rest of the division challenged us, first time in what, 4 years? It was getting boring owning it for a while, might finally be some excitement
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#9 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,746 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

POPULAR

Oh and the hawks are still on fire. That's a team to emulate. Play with skill, fire, the refs in your back pocket and a no nonsense coach.

You forgot one.

They're on a great run, I give them that....just hope it peters out just in time for the playoffs. It's about peaking at the right time and their egos will surely start to get the better of them.

Posted Image

#10 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs I'm going to start cheering for the Leafs.
Posted Image

#11 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Nah we will be okay. Now that Kesler is back out. We can get back on track. The Canucks were a much better team without him. AND we get the penalty calls our way. As soon as they found out that he was coming back and started playing on the team, the chemistry of the team went to crappers. Just watch, the team will now "suddenly turn it around". With a win Vs LA on Saturday.

You saw it here first.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#12 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs I'm going to start cheering for the Leafs.

That is hockey suicide. Step away from the ledge, sir.
Posted Image

#13 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

IMHO, this is exactly what we need. Someone to wipe the floor with the players when they're playing like crap. Someone who will get pissed when none of his D can take care of their own zone. Someone who will light a fire under his forwards for playing around the perimeter all the time and relying on the D to make plays. Someone to TALK to his players when he calls a god damn timeout! That's the part that pisses me off the most. Talk to your players, set up some plays, yell at them to get them going when you need to. It drives me insane how he's always chewing his gum and staring at the jumbotron during the timeout that he calls once in a blue moon. I played rugby in highschool and this one time we had an abysmal half so my coach yelled at us so loud that the other team across the field started staring and could hear every single thing he said. We came back in the second half and won the game. The goalies are not the issue here, they've been playing great for us and they've been stealing every point we got this season. To me it all comes back to the coaching staff, more specifically AV and Newell Brown.

SOmetimes, even pros need a kick in the a$$ to play their best.

Watching the Detroit/LA game thoe other night, LA wa deon 1 and being dominated in all 3 zones. WIth about 10 minutes left in the game, Sutter starts marching up and down the bench, yelling and talking to every player, visibly P'd.

La comes back and dominates the last 10 and scores twice to win.

Sometimes ya gotta whip da mule to get it to work. If da mule gets to set his own pace....

#14 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

adversity builds character, comradery and focus.

so the leafs must be charismatic, best buddies and lazer focused.

#15 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

This is news? Ever since the league added the loser point bad teams have stayed in contention deeper into the season, it happend last year it happened the year before and so on... Good teams pull away eventually, let go of the panic button for now.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#16 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

SOmetimes, even pros need a kick in the a$$ to play their best.

Watching the Detroit/LA game thoe other night, LA wa deon 1 and being dominated in all 3 zones. WIth about 10 minutes left in the game, Sutter starts marching up and down the bench, yelling and talking to every player, visibly P'd.

La comes back and dominates the last 10 and scores twice to win.

Sometimes ya gotta whip da mule to get it to work. If da mule gets to set his own pace....

This is what the AV lovers don't understand.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#17 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hold on sparky...no nonsense coach?

Can't stand him at all - poor sport IMHO...

Posted Image

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#18 wasteofskin

wasteofskin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Aint nobody have time for that....

Religious death, I instigate
From what the bible demonstrates
Does it document creation
Of this hopeless infliction
Of a godless heretic
Not a god-fearing lunatic
That's why it's become my obsession
To treat God like an infection

#19 JPizzle

JPizzle

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

^ lmao^

#20 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

Aint nobody have time for that....

http://youtu.be/udS-OcNtSWo

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#21 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

^ O Lord Jesus, that's disturbingly entertaining.
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#22 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hold on sparky...no nonsense coach?

Can't stand him at all - poor sport IMHO...

Posted Image

Agree on Quennevelle.

Aso believe that a more motivational coach is needed for the Nucks. Even when these guys get blown out, they don't show much disappointment or emotion. There's being even-keeled and then there's being disconnected emotionally. The Nucks just don't look like they're into the game.

I've had real issues with Kesler in the past but am starting to believe some of his antics ar frustration over his teammates lack of passion and intensity. He plays 100% and gives his all every shift, even when injured yet he's playing with a bunch of "skate-by" mates. HIs reward,,,,the coach calls him out for not using his linemates more.

Kes is the only guy after teh game (actually him and COry) who looks deflated after a loss. THe rest look like they can't wait to have a hot bath and a beer.

#23 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

This is news? Ever since the league added the loser point bad teams have stayed in contention deeper into the season, it happend last year it happened the year before and so on... Good teams pull away eventually, let go of the panic button for now.

You can go ahead and make excuses for this team's lack of focus and urgency all you like, but I dont see what good it does.

Recognizing the need for the Canucks to play with gusto (or the season is over) is not panicking. Its being honest.

#24 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

Agree on Quennevelle.

Aso believe that a more motivational coach is needed for the Nucks. Even when these guys get blown out, they don't show much disappointment or emotion. There's being even-keeled and then there's being disconnected emotionally. The Nucks just don't look like they're into the game.

I've had real issues with Kesler in the past but am starting to believe some of his antics ar frustration over his teammates lack of passion and intensity. He plays 100% and gives his all every shift, even when injured yet he's playing with a bunch of "skate-by" mates. HIs reward,,,,the coach calls him out for not using his linemates more.

Kes is the only guy after teh game (actually him and COry) who looks deflated after a loss. THe rest look like they can't wait to have a hot bath and a beer.

Agreed...the last game Kesler played - I commented how he looked slow out there - wasn't skating very fast - well no wonder playing with a broken foot. Yet he still played.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#25 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

You forgot one.

They're on a great run, I give them that....just hope it peters out just in time for the playoffs. It's about peaking at the right time and their egos will surely start to get the better of them.

Blaming the refs for everything is why people hate us.

need a coach with more fire power, but i wouldn't mind having a 4th or 5th spot
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#26 nitwitt

nitwitt

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

I hate saying this but it appears the Canucks are in big trouble. Minny will catch us tonight and be ahead of us by the end of the weekend. Never to look back, which means we might not even make the playoffs. If this happens...I hope the owners look hard at management. We don't want M.G. making any more trades as he has proven that he can't make one that has helped this team. He would only be throwing assets away to try and save his job.

#27 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

POPULAR

I hate saying this but it appears the Canucks are in big trouble. Minny will catch us tonight and be ahead of us by the end of the weekend. Never to look back, which means we might not even make the playoffs. If this happens...I hope the owners look hard at management. We don't want M.G. making any more trades as he has proven that he can't make one that has helped this team. He would only be throwing assets away to try and save his job.

Can I also have next weeks lottery numbers? /troll

/=S=/

#28 nitwitt

nitwitt

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Not trolling MaxYap.

#29 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Not trolling MaxYap.

If that's true, then you've got some 'splainin to do.

/=S=/

#30 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

I hate saying this but it appears the Canucks are in big trouble.

I don't believe it at all that you hate saying it. :P

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.