The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don't look now...

Lui's Knob

But the wild are a mere 2 point behind us with Colorado, Calgary and Edmonton all within a couple points. Canucks continue mediocrity and complacent play and they'll be out of a playoff spot.

Oh and the hawks are still on fire. That's a team to emulate. Play with skill, fire and a no nonsense coach.

I was going to make the same point as the OP. People keep saying that the Northwest Division is terrible and that the Canucks are a lock to win the Division. That is completely wrong. As the OP points out, Minny is 2 points back and Parise and Suter are only just getting adjusted to the Wild. The Canucks could easily lose to Minnesota.

And Edmonton is one team that will be better at the end of the season than at the beginning as their young stars are on rapid improvement trajectories.

The Canucks should have a good goaltending if we manage to avoid messing up both goalies, and the defence should be good, especially when Bieksa comes back and as Garrison feels more comfortable in the Canucks system.

But obviously the Canucks do not have legitimate second line and are very weak at the centre position. I expect a close race in the NW Division.

I've been thinking and saying the same thing for a while now, and it will only get tougher as time goes on. New is def not a easy conference to be in with our current rooster and situation.

Also since quite a few goalies and backup goalies are doing quite well, I think moving Lu will be tough and the return might not be super hot.

If things go the wrong way for us, we could technically be out of a playoff spot by the end of the weekend with only 24 games remaining. The scary part is that the teams chasing us are trending up. Minny has been brutal the first half of the season but they are only 2 points behind. Edmonton is only 4 points back.

And with Kes gone for the next 6 weeks, the goaltending issue hanging over this team, and the general lack of urgency around this team, it's not out of the realm of possibility that we might miss the playoffs.

The stretch drive should be exciting, but truth be told, I have a weird feeling about our team this year (and not in a good way). But DeNiro makes a good point...that having to play meaningful games leading up to the playoffs would be a good thing.

But the wild are a mere 2 point behind us with Colorado, Calgary and Edmonton all within a couple points. Canucks continue mediocrity and complacent play and they'll be out of a playoff spot.

Oh and the hawks are still on fire. That's a team to emulate. Play with skill, fire and a no nonsense coach.

Oh and the hawks are still on fire. That's a team to emulate. Play with skill, fire, the refs in your back pocket and a no nonsense coach.

You forgot one.

They're on a great run, I give them that....just hope it peters out just in time for the playoffs. It's about peaking at the right time and their egos will surely start to get the better of them.

Nah we will be okay. Now that Kesler is back out. We can get back on track. The Canucks were a much better team without him. AND we get the penalty calls our way. As soon as they found out that he was coming back and started playing on the team, the chemistry of the team went to crappers. Just watch, the team will now "suddenly turn it around". With a win Vs LA on Saturday.

You saw it here first.

IMHO, this is exactly what we need. Someone to wipe the floor with the players when they're playing like crap. Someone who will get pissed when none of his D can take care of their own zone. Someone who will light a fire under his forwards for playing around the perimeter all the time and relying on the D to make plays. Someone to TALK to his players when he calls a god damn timeout! That's the part that pisses me off the most. Talk to your players, set up some plays, yell at them to get them going when you need to. It drives me insane how he's always chewing his gum and staring at the jumbotron during the timeout that he calls once in a blue moon. I played rugby in highschool and this one time we had an abysmal half so my coach yelled at us so loud that the other team across the field started staring and could hear every single thing he said. We came back in the second half and won the game. The goalies are not the issue here, they've been playing great for us and they've been stealing every point we got this season. To me it all comes back to the coaching staff, more specifically AV and Newell Brown.

This is news? Ever since the league added the loser point bad teams have stayed in contention deeper into the season, it happend last year it happened the year before and so on... Good teams pull away eventually, let go of the panic button for now.

SOmetimes, even pros need a kick in the a$$ to play their best.

Watching the Detroit/LA game thoe other night, LA wa deon 1 and being dominated in all 3 zones. WIth about 10 minutes left in the game, Sutter starts marching up and down the bench, yelling and talking to every player, visibly P'd.

La comes back and dominates the last 10 and scores twice to win.

Sometimes ya gotta whip da mule to get it to work. If da mule gets to set his own pace....

Archived