Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Is it time to give up on this season?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it time to give up on this season? (138 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it time to give up on this season?

1. Yes (16 votes [11.59%])

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

2. No (122 votes [88.41%])

Percentage of vote: 88.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

I think everyone is a little frustrated here. Players staff and most fans. If people want to use CDC to vent fine, but understand hindsight is always 20/20.

You don't know how things are going to pan out. We don't have a crystal ball that tells us what each player will be like tomorrow or 5 years from now.

Our GM is supposed to do whats best for the team at that time in order to put us in a position to win a Stanley Cup, but without sacrificing our future entirely.

The thing to remember is even if MG pulled the trigger on a big deal, who's to say that it will work for us? How much of what happens in hockey, and with player development is luck or guesswork!? More than we like to think I guess.

If we put ourselves in his shoes at the time, how many people would make the same moves he did, how many people would end up making worse moves than he did? I'd say most of us would do worse.

Right now we have some good and great players. A lot of which have been injured or are playing with new people and most of which are frustrated.

Everyone in this place has high expectations and that's good, but if you don't set realistic goals and understand that hockey is as much luck as it is skill then we end up disappointed.

If we look at the season as a book we are half way through. That doesn't mean we know how its going to end. Just because this chapter isn't as good as we hoped doesn't mean we should throw it down tell it it's terrible and pick a new one.

Have some faith, have some patience and you might be surprised how this story ends.

Edited by Derp..., 01 March 2013 - 02:10 AM.

linden Vey Sig

#2 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:13 AM

POPULAR

No. Don't give up. We've won two straight President's Trophies. Why in the world would anyone even consider giving up with one of the best teams in the league?

Edited by ajhockey, 01 March 2013 - 02:13 AM.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#3 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

POPULAR

Never. We're not the Oilers.

RIP LB RR PD

#4 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hahaha season's not even half done and we're leading our division, CDC and Vancouver sports fans crack me up.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#5 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

Read the 90% of posters panicking bc of 4 losses and you'd think we're in last place overall...

OP is right and his comments are bc most of the people on here have clearly never competed in a sport given their level of panick for a team in 3rd in the conference simply bc they've had a few off games...

I can't even imagine what the nucks players think about the fans...probably think most of them are idiots...

#6 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

Why the hell should this team throw in the towel when we're the only team with a positive goal differential in the division, 5 points out of second in the conference, and far above the likes of Calgary, Edmonton, and Colorado in points? All this nearing the halfway point of the season.

I swear, the stupidity of some people...

Edited by Common sense, 01 March 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#7 Lidstrom

Lidstrom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

its gonna be a bad year for CDC when this team does go on a decline....YEARS FROM NOW!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Jacare

Jacare

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

looking at the season as a whole things dont look good. the canucks struggle against anyone outside the nw, far and away the worst division in the league. they are shambles in there own end. the powerplay has only two plays(bomb it from the point or to kesler on the halfwall, its painfully stale and predictable, oh heres a drop pass, wait the opponent knows thats our only entry so it fails miserably. they're uninspired/or done and it shows. V has to go if theres gonna be an attempt at a salvage, but i dont think thatll happen, even if we lose the next 10 games he'll have the kesler was injured excuse. we'll still make the playoffs but it'll be one maybe two and done. on a side note the volpatti loss is huge and with it our best prospect all of sudden becomes an enforcer. which is terrible, kassian gets a trial by fire with divisional enforcers like mcgrattan and Rupp.

#9 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:39 AM

looking at the season as a whole things dont look good. the canucks struggle against anyone outside the nw, far and away the worst division in the league. they are shambles in there own end. the powerplay has only two plays(bomb it from the point or to kesler on the halfwall, its painfully stale and predictable, oh heres a drop pass, wait the opponent knows thats our only entry so it fails miserably. they're uninspired/or done and it shows. V has to go if theres gonna be an attempt at a salvage, but i dont think thatll happen, even if we lose the next 10 games he'll have the kesler was injured excuse. we'll still make the playoffs but it'll be one maybe two and done. on a side note the volpatti loss is huge and with it our best prospect all of sudden becomes an enforcer. which is terrible, kassian gets a trial by fire with divisional enforcers like mcgrattan and Rupp.

Agreed.

It doesn't matter how where we sit right now in the standings. I think people would complain less if we were last in the league because there would be nowhere to go but up and management can finally take a good look at our team and put a real effort into improving the glaring weaknesses that have plagued our team for the last 5 years.

Sitting 3rd in the conference is dangerous and extremely deceptive; luring the team and fans to think we belong here, that the team has some right to sit with the league's elites justified by the play we have shown thus far. The way we've been playing these last 10 games (5-3-2) the only place we're going is down. The uninspired, emotionless play is obvious and painful to watch.

#10 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

I think everyone is a little frustrated here. Players staff and most fans. If people want to use CDC to vent fine, but understand hindsight is always 20/20.

You don't know how things are going to pan out. We don't have a crystal ball that tells us what each player will be like tomorrow or 5 years from now.

Our GM is supposed to do whats best for the team at that time in order to put us in a position to win a Stanley Cup, but without sacrificing our future entirely.

The thing to remember is even if MG pulled the trigger on a big deal, who's to say that it will work for us? How much of what happens in hockey, and with player development is luck or guesswork!? More than we like to think I guess.

If we put ourselves in his shoes at the time, how many people would make the same moves he did, how many people would end up making worse moves than he did? I'd say most of us would do worse.

Right now we have some good and great players. A lot of which have been injured or are playing with new people and most of which are frustrated.

Everyone in this place has high expectations and that's good, but if you don't set realistic goals and understand that hockey is as much luck as it is skill then we end up disappointed.

If we look at the season as a book we are half way through. That doesn't mean we know how its going to end. Just because this chapter isn't as good as we hoped doesn't mean we should throw it down tell it it's terrible and pick a new one.

Have some faith, have some patience and you might be surprised how this story ends.

Give up on one's team that is leading their division? What do you expect from a lock out season?

#11 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

Right, that's it. I'm done with Canucks Talk.

#12 forklift_ole

forklift_ole

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

its gonna be a bad year for CDC when this team does go on a decline....YEARS FROM NOW!

I kinda look forward to it, then the bandwagoners will jump off and only real supporters of the team will remain on CDC. We can have thoughtful conversations on top ten draft picks, look forward to replacing all the thugs on the team with skilled Europeans, reminisce about Luongo and Kesler and the Twins without someone claiming "they are done!" Sounds heavenly to me.

No, it's not time to give up on the season. Even if the Canucks didn't have as good of a record as they do, I'd still wait until the playoffs until I decided whether the team will be competitive or not.

#13 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

How can you mention "faith" and "patience", yet create a thread asking if it's time to "give up" on the season. The team is on a two game losing streak. Not that long ago, they were on a six game winning streak.

Sometimes the overreactions of Canuck fans blows me away...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#14 Big Erns

Big Erns

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

yes?

#15 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

I don't understand the original question
Posted Image

#16 Muse

Muse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

lol. LA Kings played like crap and just barley made the playoffs, and yet they still won the cup. Calm down guys. It doesn't matter what position we come in or how many games we lose, because the playoffs is a different story. As long as we make the playoffs, i dont care.

#17 DisplacedBCfan

DisplacedBCfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

lol. LA Kings played like crap and just barley made the playoffs, and yet they still won the cup. Calm down guys. It doesn't matter what position we come in or how many games we lose, because the playoffs is a different story. As long as we make the playoffs, i dont care.

Well the Wild and Avs are right behind us now, we might not make the playoffs, so...

#18 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

It makes me laugh when people actually think the CDC is a majority voice of Canucks fans :lol:

There is a small handful of whiny babies on this board who flood it with negativity. They certainly don't speak for me when they come on here ranting after a loss. This is a sport, all teams lose, all teams have thier short comings, all teams cannot win the SC, some children and some mentally challenged adults that frequent the CDC just do not understand this.

When you say "everyone is frustrated" you are wrong. I'm completely thrilled with the entertainment the Canucks have provided over the past couple of years, I know a SC will come to Vancouver eventually and I'm in no hurry as long as the product is entertaining. Gillis and AV have a team right now that will consistantly make the playoffs, it's only a matter of time before the Canucks have everything go well for them come playoff time.
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#19 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

we might not make the playoffs, so...

we are 3rd in the conference...

#20 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

We should give up on next year too. And the one after that. In fact, just fold the franchise.

#21 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Is it time to give up on the stupid fans?

#22 clutesi

clutesi

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Never give up...

#23 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Well the Wild and Avs are right behind us now, we might not make the playoffs, so...

Well...you're also not wearing your helmet when you walk these days are you?

#24 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Never give up...

umm...10-5 -4?

hmm...3rd place in the conference, 8th in the league, 3pts out of 5th with 2 games in hand and people are suggesting 'never give up'?

A bit of a ridiculous comment...misplaced?

Moreover, all over these boards are childlike derps who are acting like we're in 11th in our conference and fighting for a spot lol..

wow..

guess what, I'd prefer us to end up 8th, beat Chi in the first round and win the cup AND get a better draft pick.

#25 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

What if the LA Kings gave up when they were in 10th place this time last year?

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#26 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Its time to...

Herp... derp derp.

We r doing fine. Be patient

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#27 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

umm...10-5 -4?

hmm...3rd place in the conference, 8th in the league, 3pts out of 5th with 2 games in hand and people are suggesting 'never give up'?

A bit of a ridiculous comment...misplaced?

Moreover, all over these boards are childlike derps who are acting like we're in 11th in our conference and fighting for a spot lol..

wow..

guess what, I'd prefer us to end up 8th, beat Chi in the first round and win the cup AND get a better draft pick.

Don't criticize others for making clueless statements when you make one of your own. If the Canucks win the Cup they'll get the 30th pick. Derp.

#28 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

I think for some fans, it's not about giving up on the team after only 19 games. It's about prognosticating the future based on present tendencies that also led to failure in the past. If some fans feel this season won't end in anything significant for the Canucks and they have reasons to back up why they feel that way, why shouldn't they be entitled to their opinion? We're not all mindless cheerleaders. I, for one, am not shortsighted enough to just look at the Canucks' record and standing in a pathetic Northwest Division and assume everything will be fine. That's just about as baseless as anything the naysayers are saying as well.

#29 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Adversity = the bane of CDC

We hit some bumps, its time to blow up the team.

Relax people - it'll be a tough road from here on in, but you don't just give up. Sorry OP

#30 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Wow, some people need more hobbies. There's more to life than the Canucks.

Having said that, this season is far from over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.