Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Nathan Mackinnon = 2006 Phil Kessel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 NewYorkYankees8771

NewYorkYankees8771

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Both compared to Sidney Crosby a year before their respective draft years, dont get me wrong I think Phil Kessel is a great player and was a great player back then too, but do you guys think that theres a chance that Nate Mackinnon could possible slide to 4 or 5 in the draft. I think he is a solid player, but he's no Sidney Crosby and not putting up amazing amounts of points for you would expect from a potential top three pick. I could see any of Monahan, Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin possibly drafted ahead of him if they fit what the GM's respective needs are.
luongo-crosby-phaneuf-e.kane

#2 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

69 pts in 41 games is a lot of point. 1.69 PPG. Tavares was at 2PPG.

MacKinnon is often compared to crosby because they come from the same place and went to the same high (prep) school and we're exceptionnal young players.

I don't think Mackinnon was ever projected to be the next Crosby or that good. But he was quickly projected as a #1 overall. I'd compared him more to Tavares (not style) in term in talent and impact he could have in the NHL.

#3 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,730 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

Nah, he's big and strong, and a Canadian kid! :)

#4 NewYorkYankees8771

NewYorkYankees8771

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

69 points in 41 games is a lot of points, but there are a lot, and i mean a lot of players who can do that (now and before)... ex. drouin, petan, hall tavares seguin e.kane nugent-hopkins, ... the list goes on,

sam gagner was a 2 points per game player in his draft year when he played with patrick kane in 07', and he still went 6th overall
luongo-crosby-phaneuf-e.kane

#5 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

69 pts in 41 games is a lot of point. 1.69 PPG. Tavares was at 2PPG.

MacKinnon is often compared to crosby because they come from the same place and went to the same high (prep) school and we're exceptionnal young players.

I don't think Mackinnon was ever projected to be the next Crosby or that good. But he was quickly projected as a #1 overall. I'd compared him more to Tavares (not style) in term in talent and impact he could have in the NHL.

I remember a couple years ago TSN had a segment on him and he was projected to be like Sid with an edge.

Edited by Steven Stamkos, 01 March 2013 - 08:41 AM.

Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#6 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

I don't see him sliding anywhere past 3 at the absolute most. I still think Jones will go number 1, MAYBE Drouin goes 2 ahead of Mackinnon. But no way Barkov or Nishushkin beat him.

Edited by mrsasaki, 01 March 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#7 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

He was over a point a game as a 16 year old. I think the younger a guy is when he first puts up high point totals the better.

He's been under a lot of pressure for years and seems to have handled it ok as far as I know.

He has a birthday right near the draft cut off, if he was born 15 days later he would be in the 2014 draft.

He seems to play along the boards a lot and that kind of thing will get easier for him as he gets older and bigger. As opposed to Drouin who has more of a skill game and doesn't need the strength as much (This comment is mostly about how they played at the World Juniors).

I don't really know enough about the other guys to say for sure but if he has a good playoff and doesn't get injured I'm guessing he'll go #2.

#8 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,792 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

He didn't impress at the world juniors, certainly.

comeundone.gif

#9 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,605 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

He didn't impress at the world juniors, certainly.

Would have been nice if he got some playing time....

Mackinnon is a bull. His game is cycling down low. Phil Kessel's game is speed to the outside and shoot from anywhere. Two completely different players.

The only comparison made between Mackinnon and Crosby is that they are both talented players. Announcers frequently make a point of mentioning that Mackinnon's style is not similar to Crosby. If you watched any of the WJHC, you would have heard this said a number of times.

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#10 greetingsfrombrazil

greetingsfrombrazil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

I think the top 3 of the draft is settled, Jones, Mackinnon and Drouin. The only thing will be the order, depending on the what the first overall team needs.

And I don't see Mackinnon being a Kessel type, I think he can be more successful. Like the other guys said, a Tavares kind of player, but more of a playmaker.

#11 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

not a chance.

Kessel was put into the same setence as Crosby because of Crosby. "america's answer to sidney crosby" I remember that. He was America's next big thing, hype train by American media outlets and their fans. It was quite obvious very soon, that despite his outstanding abilities, (Kessel) He is nowhere near Crosby in anyway shape possible.

Mackinnon to some extent plays a little crosby. Fast, skilled, outstanding play maker, he does that thing a long the boards too, were it looks like he is going back and forth evading checks and body checks. But your right, he's no Sidney Crosby, that being said, I think he's going to be better then the previous number 1 picks. Bank on it. He is quite unreal.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#12 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Kessel was compared to Crosby, I so don't remember that. They were only drafted a year apart.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#13 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

I think Drouin is going to be the best player from this draft, him and Jones, with Mackinnon being a close 3rd imo. Mackinnon will be the better 2 way player though.

Drouins hockey sense and hands are just insane, ever since he stole the spotlight from Mackinnon at the world juniors he's been on a mission to go first overall. He is 1 point behind the scoring leader in 18 less games played...

Edited by TheGame., 01 March 2013 - 06:33 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.