The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canucks claimed Tom Sestito

Heretic

Not complaining just taking a wait and see approach. Volpatti was quite willing to drop them to protect teammates so not sure what this brings beyond that.

His scouting report says he has a propensity to take bad penalties. We all know how that works with AV (and the league).

Time will tell but I"m not like some here who seem to think just because he's big, he's going to change the dynamics of this team.

This was not a calculated move by MG to replace Volpatti. It was damage control after losing our 4th line tough guy.

TIme will tell.

getting upset about things that are uncontrollable is silly. Did management hurt kesler? No. Did management waive patti? Yes. Obviously they had this planned out and it seems to be a good move now, but at the time it looked as if we lost an asset for nothing at all.

I would have traded Volpatti for this guy in a heartbeat... This guy is bigger and has some stats, not sure why he would have been waived at all but hey one team's trash another's treasure... For me the only negative would be if he has any attitude issues. Good pickup, hope he can chip in or at least help keep other teams honest when it comes to our stars.

ya because losing Volpatti is such a big deal and that was one of the worst mistake the team can make that could effect our playoff and cup winning chance

we lost a decent 4th liner, and there are like a dozen of them out there. Yet cdc exploded and act like we just lost Daniel Sedin to the wavier

cdc right now is like a kid dropping a m&m on the ground and he starts to stomp the ground crying it's the end of the world.

Surprising Tom Sestito leads Flyers over Lightning

February 07, 2013|BY FRANK SERAVALLI, Daily News Staff Writer seravaf@phillynews.com

pixel.gif

ILYA BRYZGALOV joked that Tom Sestito should change his last name to "Sestitov," to sound more like a Russian sniper.

Sestito, who had scored just two goals in his first 31 NHL games, collected two in a matter of two periods on Tuesday night to headline a 2-1, all-around smothering of the Tampa Bay Lightning at an electric Wells Fargo Center.

Sestito shocked the heck out of his Flyers teammates, who gave him a good ribbing in the locker room after the game, with his back-to-back goals. He's normally an oft-overlooked fourth line enforcer, who spends more minutes in the penalty box than on the ice.

pixel.gif

"I think he was surprised, too, by the look on his face," Danny Briere said. "It's good to see different guys stepping up and being a part of it. It hasn't been easy since the start of the season for Tom."

Sestito scored both his goals in nearly identical fashion, slipping soft backhands through the five-hole of Anders Lindback.

"I've got one [move]," Sestito said. "Hopefully no goalies catch on to that. I'm going to keep doing it until it stops working."

Amazingly, Sestito is now tied for third on the team in goals this season.

For Sestito, life has been a roller coaster since December. He arrived back in the United States after playing in Sheffield, England, during the NHL lockout and came down with a case of the mumps virus 6 days later. He was quarantined and bedridden for a month, with his facial glands swollen to the size of grapefruits.

All of the hard work Sestito put into being ready for a training-camp battle when the lockout ended was wiped away in a matter of remote-clutching days.

"The mumps are gone," Sestito said. "Thank god."

Sestito, 25, made Peter Laviolette's roster but was a longshot to crack the lineup on a nightly basis. He was a healthy scratch for five of the Flyers' first nine games, before injuries to Scott Hartnell, Zac Rinaldo and Wayne Simmonds opened a door.

He was given more free rein on Tuesday, promoted to the third line with Brayden Schenn and Jake Voracek to start the game. Some said Sestito should request to be moved up to the Flyers' struggling first line with Claude Giroux.

"Maybe I'll go in there and see what he has [to offer], I should have gotten one more for the hat trick, though," Sestito said, adding that he couldn't have dreamed up the night any better. "Maybe in the Stanley Cup finals. It's great to contribute like that and not just fighting the whole time."

Now they should sit a defenseman who is sucking wind in his own zone (I'm looking at you Edler) and bring up Jim Vandermeer. Having beasts like that on the ice will allow us to throw the opposition around for a change. It's time the Canucks were ready for war. If we can't do it on the scoresheet, let's beat everyone else into submission!

To the idiots who think this guy isn't tough

YouTube

Tom Sestito vrs tootoo. If he had not have fallen awkward he won. Look up his fight against chris thornburn If I wasn't on my iPhone I would post it myself.

The guy is WAY tougher than Volpati. Get a clue.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss I f*cking called it!

Guy can play. Take a look at his stats. 42 goals in his last year of junior. Over .5 PPG in the AHL and had a 2 goal game earlier this year against Tampa.

6'5 228 beast. Not the best fighter, but has the strength and size to fight anyone.

Archived