The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canucks claimed Tom Sestito

Heretic

Oh man, some posters are just proving that they'll whine about anything.

The same people that were calling for more toughness are now complaining about this? Give me a break.

This guy is an upgrade over Volpatti in the toughness department. Volpatti had some good fights, but he wasn't a great fighter, and he picked easier guys to fight. Sestito will drop the gloves with the big guys. And of course this guy is a plug, so was Volpatti. What do you think tough guys are?

This guy has thrown some dirty hits. If he's playing regularly, he's going to cost us some major penalties. Hopefully he can stay disciplined during the playoffs. Maybe he will introduce himself to Duncan Keith though.

Does anyone know how many concussions he's had? I just know Kassian messed him up one game.

Sestito is basically another Byron Bitz, who I liked as a player actually. As long as he doesn't take dumb penalties at bad times.

People wanted size and toughness, well this guy defintetly has size, and he brings about the same toughness as Volpatti. So I don't know why you would be complaining.

As for hockeyfights.com that place is a joke they have Winchester as winning his fight against Patti, so you should take records on there with a pretty large grain of salt.

I YouTubed about 4 of em and there was nothing overly impressive there. As for making a sweeping statement what about everyone claiming this is a huge upgrade, wouldn't that fall under the same category?

We would have kept Volpatti if Keslers CT scan came back 2 hrs earlier btw. So it's not like Gillis was ever contemplating getting Tom until after Patti was gone. That should say Gillis probably doesn't see him as that much of an upgrade.

Gah, Sestito can't play hockey. This is a downgrade on Volpatti, but an increase in size and inability. The guy plays 4 minutes and gets repeatedly punched in the face, at least Volpatti is good for a big hit. You guys will hate how Sestito is in his own end.

Ah, so looking at 4 out of 13 samples is enough to make an unequivocal statement about his quality as a fighter. It's one thing to make overly positive remarks about a Canuck player on the Canucks forum and not care about it being factual, but another thing to make overly negative remarks about the same and not expect someone to call you on it.

And I agree we would have kept Volpatti, Gillis recently said he actually tried to pull Volpatti back once they found out about Kesler's injury, but couldn't. I never said Sestito was an upgrade, but I'm also not about to knock the guy until we get to see him play for awhile.

Vandermeer is a better option up front, imo. Hell, Oreskovich is. Where'd that guy go, anyway. Out of hockey again?

They claimed Sestito because they didn't anticipate Volpatti being claimed.

But at least we know Sestito won't be claimed when he's sent down. He fell all the way to us in the first place.

Ah, so looking at 4 out of 13 samples is enough to make an unequivocal statement about his quality as a fighter. It's one thing to make overly positive remarks about a Canuck player on the Canucks forum and not care about it being factual, but another thing to make overly negative remarks about the same and not expect someone to call you on it.

And I agree we would have kept Volpatti, Gillis recently said he actually tried to pull Volpatti back once they found out about Kesler's injury, but couldn't. I never said Sestito was an upgrade, but I'm also not about to knock the guy until we get to see him play for awhile.

The most important thing is that he can hit anyone, and not be afraid to back it up. Whether or not he dominates fights is irrelevant, it's the willingness to get in the other teams faces that's important.

And what exactly has our fourth line been doing lately? No big hits, no fights, no emotion. It's time to switch it up. Get Sestito and Pinnizzoto in there. At least they'll play like they're hungry for it.

Archived