The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canucks claimed Tom Sestito

Heretic

(From the Volpatti thread...)

Nailed it! Good on ya!

He is a very similar player to Volpatti, though he hits less but scores a little more. His contract is nearly identical too - $605,000, 2-way and set to be UFA next season.

The difference is, of course, as I understand it, Vancouver could send him down to the Wolves now without him having to clear waivers again anytime in the next month as long as he doesn't play in 10 or more games with us. So, we could still use him to free up a roster spot without losing any depth.

Sestito sustained a lower body injury and hasn't played since Feb. 11th.

He can't play every game. He can't fight well. But he's big, lays the odd cheap hit and has been suspended for it.

We claimed another Byron Bitz, folks.

Wooooooooooo!

Honestly, if we pick him up just to injure a King, it'll be worth it.

This is nothing but damage control. If we waited 1 hour to put volpattti on waivers ( wtf was the rush) , we would have found out about keslers injury and have kept Aaron . Pretty bad mismanagement by the guys up top...

Vandermeer is a better option up front, imo. Hell, Oreskovich is. Where'd that guy go, anyway. Out of hockey again?

They claimed Sestito because they didn't anticipate Volpatti being claimed.

But at least we know Sestito won't be claimed when he's sent down. He fell all the way to us in the first place.

He is nowhere near Volpatti. That is my opinion. Also I think he is a douche on and off the ice and not fit for this team.

As I said if he was so good you would have thought the Caps would have snapped him up first.

from a philly perspective

Yesterday, the Flyers placed winger Tom Sestito and goaltender Michael Leighton on waivers. The club is currently capped out and is using long-term injured reserve allowance. Sending Sestito ($605,000) and Leighton ($900,000) to Adirondack will clear $1.505 million off the team's cap figure.

There is a chance that Sestito will be claimed off waivers by another team today. Although not particularly trusted by Laviolette (who clearly prefers the smaller, speedier Zac Rinaldo), Sestito does have some assets to offer. He is not a bad skater for such a big guy, and when he plays under control, he can be effective in non-fighting situations.

Sestito, who had a two-goal game against Tampa Bay earlier this season, is not going to score many goals at the NHL level. That's just not his role. Banging bodies and fighting are what got him to the NHL in the first place. But he actually does have decent hands if he gets the puck in close.

Where Sestito still needs to improve his game in terms of his decision making and discipline. By discipline, I'm not only talking about penalties, I'm referring to his play away with and without the puck. But he cannot possibly get better if he doesn't get opportunities to play (whether that's in the NHL or even back in the AHL). If it all takes is a single bad shift or one glaring mistake in a game to earn several more weeks in the pressbox, the player is simply not trusted by the coach and probably never will be.

Perhaps getting claimed by another organization would be a good thing for Sestito. Another coach might see potential value in him as an NHL player and let him play through mistakes while figuring out what does and doesn't work for him at the top level. That's how Rinaldo has begun to thrive under Laviolette. The Flyers have lived through ups and downs in Rinaldo's still-young NHL career, and he's been rewarding the club of late. The coach clearly does not see similar potential in Sestito.

Laviolette may be proven right or may be proven wrong. For the player's sake, at least, you hope there's a coach out there who sees a role on a team for him and hands him the ball to either run with or fumble away on his own. My own feeling on Sesito is that the flaws may be correctable. His mistakes (like Rinaldo's) are often ones of over-zealousness.

However, players who play Sestito's role are often viewed as a dime a dozen, and it's tough for these players to stick for long if they don't make an immediate positive impression. The Flyers placed Sestito on waivers last year and were able to assign him to the Phantoms went he went unclaimed.

Sestito sustained a minor injury (charley horse) while on conditioning assignment with the Phantoms. He also was set back at the start of camp by a bout with mumps.

Nope. That's only if he actually cleared waivers to begin with, and then he wouldn't be on our team and the Flyers would have that option. If we want to send him to the Wolves, he'll still have to clear waivers and the Flyers would get first chance to reclaim him.

Because I love stats, here are some stats for you guys:

We gained 5 inches

We gained 13 pounds.

We got 2 years younger.

Player - Pts - G - A - +/- - PIM - BORN

Volpatti - 1 --- 1 -- 0 -- 0 -- 28 --- CDN - BC

Sestito -- 2 --- 2 -- 0 - +1 - 12 --- USA - NY

Archived