375 replies to this topic

#31 ALTtimegreat

ALTtimegreat

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

no shame in losing to kassian..hopefully this guy got some speed to go along with his big body.

#32 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,456 posts

bold move..... :rolleyes:

#33 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,344 posts

Hello?

http://forum.canucks...laimed-sestito/

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#34 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Two years younger than Volpatti and 1 more NHL goal :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:
Posted Image

#35 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts

I made a thread to acquire this guy a few years ago back when he was with Columbus.

http://bleacherrepor...adelphia-flyers

He scored 53 goals in 79 games his last year in the OHL so it seems like he has some decent mitts. Hits hard, skates well for a big guy, fights ALOT (even if he isn't the best at it). Willing to stand up for teammates as well.
Sig too big.

#36 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hello?

http://forum.canucks...laimed-sestito/

My bad. For whatever reason, didn't even look in the Trades and Signings thread. Lock this one up.

#37 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,793 posts

Considering the Canucks announced they moved Pinizzotto back to the roster and sent him down on a conditioning stint after Volpatti was claimed, I think that actually confirms it rather than debunks it.

You could have done the Pinizotto move without waiving Volpatti. Simply wait and call up Ebbett a day later. Or send Schroeder down for a day (not subject to waivers) in order to activate Pinizotto for the conditioning stint. Heck... they could have used the IR conditioning stint where you don't even need to activate the player to assign him to the Wolves.

If they wanted to keep Volpatti on the roster, they had lots of options. They didn't think it was worth doing any of these and weren't terribly worried about the risk of losing Vopatti.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#38 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Sweeet.

I wouldn't say it's an upgrade, but i feel like GMMG truthfully believed Volpatti wouldn't be claimed, as stupid as that sounds. It's not a shot at who's better, it's just Volpatti was claimed when GMMG thought he wouldn't be.

The guy's huge, scored 53 Goals in the OHL.. Hopefully he can chip in more than Volpatti's 3 goals in like 60 games or something.

Posted Image

#39 coconutsnow

coconutsnow

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

#40 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Nice!

#41 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

ala "Har - Old" , maybe now it will be, "Tom - Mie"

Glad to have a heavyweight again.

Only looked at hockeyfights.com and of course, Zack's tilt, but he has good size and can fight.

Hopefully he can skate and score too.

#42 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Prefer volpatti ans obviously a lot of other Gms do to if he got picked up by the 27th place team
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#43 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Younger, bigger, better fighter, and better NHL/AHL stats than Volpatti sounds like a decent upgrade to me. Always a nice feeling that we have a big tough guy on the team, teams will think twice now about running our guys. Good move on paper IMO. We will see. Hopefully he's in the lineup tomorrow against LA.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#44 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

7 points in 34 actually don't sound bad.

#45 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Younger, bigger, better fighter, and better NHL/AHL stats than Volpatti sounds like a decent upgrade to me. Always a nice feeling that we have a big tough guy on the team, teams will think twice now about running our guys. Good move on paper IMO. We will see. Hopefully he's in the lineup tomorrow against LA.

Nope.

#46 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Another crappy MG move. The stock in this team just keeps dropping and dropping. He was laughed at in the UK league.

Makes you wonder if he was suitable for a PT winning team like the Canucks why did Washington not pick him up instead of Volpatti?

I now dread every trade/signing this guy makes.
Kevin.jpg

#47 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Play him with the sedins!
linden Vey Sig

#48 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Personally I think we would be better off having Vandermeer in the lineup. Sestito is not a great fighter... a game guy, but not inspiring any fear in opponents.

Vandermeer can play forward or defence so is useful as a depth guy. He is also actually a legit heavyweight.

#49 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Devils return Tim Sestito to Albany. Ryan Carter (concussion) activated from injured reserve.

#50 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,324 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

But...But...Gillis does nothing.

Subbancopy.jpg

#51 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

POPULAR

Another crappy MG move. The stock in this team just keeps dropping and dropping. He was laughed at in the UK league.

Makes you wonder if he was suitable for a PT winning team like the Canucks why did Washington not pick him up instead of Volpatti?

I now dread every trade/signing this guy makes.

You're the one that wanted a tough guy. A bit of "push back".

He's no worse than Volpatti. Not much better either, but we haven't got worse as a team. Some people are never happy.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 01 March 2013 - 11:00 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Sestito is garbage. My grandmother could beat him up. Useless pick up.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#53 Bill F-ing Murray

Bill F-ing Murray

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Well, at least now a good portion of CDC will shut up about it.

That is not how the CDC works....
Volpatti brought an interesting dynamic to the team trying to hit as much a s possible and could win fights.

As of right now we have not seen the new guy play for us so the future is uncertain and well the CDC needs to "explain" in a "few higly thoought out discussions" why their "reasoning" is more sound then the other kids in the sand box /sarcasm

Sestito is big but so was oreo and well time will tell. sidenote he did make it down the waiver wire to us which says something... not sure exactly what but again time will tell.

Posted Image

“Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,”

I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me.I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”

Ricky Gervais

#54 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Well there goes the belief that Volpatti was sent down to free up a roster space.

If we can pick someone else up, it means we sent him down because we thought we could do better.

Sestito isn't really much different... bigger version, not a an accomplished fighter though... at least as a heavyweight.

Not true.

Space had to be made for SP because of a provision that held he first had to be activated onto the Canucks' roster before he could be sent to Chicago.

A spot had to be opened on the big roster, not within the organization at large.

#55 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

new teammates Tom Sestito and Zack Kassian have a history.

#56 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

You could have done the Pinizotto move without waiving Volpatti. Simply wait and call up Ebbett a day later. Or send Schroeder down for a day (not subject to waivers) in order to activate Pinizotto for the conditioning stint. Heck... they could have used the IR conditioning stint where you don't even need to activate the player to assign him to the Wolves.

If they wanted to keep Volpatti on the roster, they had lots of options. They didn't think it was worth doing any of these and weren't terribly worried about the risk of losing Vopatti.

It seems like you didn't read the rest of my post.

And he can't be on IR and also on a conditioning stint, he has to come back to the active roster first then be sent down for conditioning. If you can play (even if it's in the AHL), you aren't injured. If you aren't injured, you can't be on IR. We needed a roster space to bring him off IR, whatever you think of the other options for making that happen.

I'll say this, I don't think they would have explored the Schroeder down and up option if they felt Volpatti might clear, and it's quite possible they didn't know for sure if Kesler would be actually injured to clear up his roster space using IR by the time they had to make a move to get this all done. They couldn't hold Pinizzotto on IR, so they had to make a roster move and I think it's just really unfortunate timing that it was so close to finding out Kesler was actually injured enough to qualify to go on IR himself.

In the end, we've essentially traded Volpatti for Sestito and worked in the transfer of Pinizzotto to the Wolves in the process.

Not true.

Space had to be made for SP because of a provision that held he first had to be activated onto the Canucks' roster before he could be sent to Chicago.

A spot had to be opened on the big roster, not within the organization at large.

Yup, mentioned it on the first page. After Volpatti was claimed, they brought Pinizzotto off of IR and moved him down to the Wolves for conditioning last night, then claimed Sestito (last night? this morning?).

Edited by elvis15, 01 March 2013 - 10:57 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#57 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Now they should sit a defenseman who is sucking wind in his own zone (I'm looking at you Edler) and bring up Jim Vandermeer. Having beasts like that on the ice will allow us to throw the opposition around for a change. It's time the Canucks were ready for war. If we can't do it on the scoresheet, let's beat everyone else into submission!

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 01 March 2013 - 10:51 AM.

Posted Image

#58 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

i liek his name sestito

#59 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Now they should sit a defenseman who is sucking wind in his own zone (I'm looking at you Edler) and bring up Jim Vandermeer. Having beasts like that on the ice will allow us to throw the opposition around for a change. It's time the Canucks were ready for war. If we can't do it on the scoresheet, let's beat everyone else into submission!

The "beast" that is Jim Vandermeer is regularly getting danced around in the AHL. I would know, since I follow the Wolves on a regular basis. If you don't mind seeing a couple goals against for every fight Vandermeer engages in, then I guess you'll be happy.

#60 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

It seems like you didn't read the rest of my post.

And he can't be on IR and also on a conditioning stint, he has to come back to the active roster first then be sent down for conditioning. If you can play (even if it's in the AHL), you aren't injured. If you aren't injured, you can't be on IR. We needed a roster space to bring him off IR, whatever you think of the other options for making that happen.

Unless something changed in the new CBA (nothing in the changes summary indicates that it has) you can be sent on a conditioning stint while still on IR. From what I understand the two week conditioning stint actually still uses a roster spot for the entire time of the assignment, unlike the IR conditioning stint where you are not counted against the roster.

There are lots of complications with Pinizotto based on his status when injured in training camp... but regardless if the organization was worried much about losing Volpatti they could have done the alternatives I mentioned. I know you said you don't like them much.. but they are minor annoyances compared with losing an asset you covet (unless you don't really covet that asset much at all).

We had several days between games, so plenty of time to juggle other options in order to avoid waiving Volpatti.

13.9 Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan. A Player who is on the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception as set forth in Article 50 may, with his consent, during the term of such Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception (but in no event during the first fourteen (14) calendar days and six (6) NHL Games), be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan (the "Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan") for a period not to exceed up to the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games, solely for the purpose of determining whether the Player is fit to play.

If the Club determines that it needs more time to assess the Player's fitness to play, the Club may file a written request by facsimile with the Commissioner's Office, with a copy to the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, to extend the Loan for an additional two (2) games. The Commissioner, upon good cause, may approve the onetime extension. The Commissioner's approval shall not be unreasonably withheld. A Player on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan will continue to be listed on Injured Reserve and will not count against the Club's 23-man roster limit.

Edited by Provost, 01 March 2013 - 11:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.