The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canucks claimed Tom Sestito

Heretic

http://blogs.vancouv...rs-from-flyers/

Canucks claim tough guy Sestito off waivers from Flyers -

A day after losing Aaron Volpatti on waivers to the Washington Capitals, the Canucks picked up tough guy Tom Sestito from the Philadelphia Flyers via waivers Friday. Sestito, 25, is listed at 6-5 and 228 pounds. A left winger, he has appeared in 34 NHL games with the Flyers and Columbus Blue Jackets. He was chosen 85th overall by the Blue Jackets in the 2006 entry draft. This season, Sestito has two goals and 12 penalty minutes in seven games with the Flyers. Over his 34-game career, he’s scored four goals while spending 159 minutes in the penalty box.

An American from Utica, N.Y., Sestito played major for Plymouth Whalers of the OHL and appeared in the 2007 Memorial Cup, which was played in Vancouver and won by the Giants.

With Steve Pinizzotto taking the NHL roster spot of Volpatti, and Andrew Ebbett up from the Chicago Wolves to replace the injured Ryan Kesler, the Canucks will apparently have to make another move to accommodate Sestito on their 23-man roster.

Still don't like how the whole valpatti situation was handled but at least it makes sense. I am going to reserve judgement on if I like this move or not till I see the guy play but from what everyone is saying it looks like grabbing this guy was a good move.

Looks like we replaced Volpatti's toughness.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Leighton and Wandell cleared Waivers. Sestito awarded to Van from Phil.

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC

VAN claims Sestito. Leighton and Wandell clear

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports

Just talked with Tom Sestito's agent -he says his client happy to be picked up by Vancouver - sad to leave Philly..

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Still don't like how the whole valpatti situation was handled but at least it makes sense. I am going to reserve judgement on if I like this move or not till I see the guy play but from what everyone is saying it looks like grabbing this guy was a good move.

The "beast" that is Jim Vandermeer is regularly getting danced around in the AHL. I would know, since I follow the Wolves on a regular basis. If you don't mind seeing a couple goals against for every fight Vandermeer engages in, then I guess you'll be happy.

The "beast" that is Jim Vandermeer is regularly getting danced around in the AHL. I would know, since I follow the Wolves on a regular basis. If you don't mind seeing a couple goals against for every fight Vandermeer engages in, then I guess you'll be happy.

Unless something changed in the new CBA (nothing in the changes summary indicates that it has) you can be sent on a conditioning stint while still on IR. From what I understand the two week conditioning stint actually still uses a roster spot, unlike the IR conditioning sting.

There are lots of complications with Pinizotto based on his status when injured in training camp... but regardless if the organization was worried much about losing Volpatti they could have done the alternatives I mentioned. I know you said you don't like them much.. but they are minor annoyances compared with losing an asset you covet (unless you don't really covet that asset much at all).

We had several days between games, so plenty of time to juggle other options in order to avoid waiving Volpatti.

13.9 Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan. A Player who is on the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception as set forth in Article 50 may, with his consent, during the term of such Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception (but in no event during the first fourteen (14) calendar days and six (6) NHL Games), be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan (the "Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan") for a period not to exceed up to the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games, solely for the purpose of determining whether the Player is fit to play.

How is Sestito defensively? Is he the type of player that can play 10 minutes a night? His point total is a positive even though that is a small sample size.

I'll wait and see how he plays in real life.

I really don't think that MG would waive Volpatti if it was easily avoidable, so I will assume that the current CBA does not allow a seamless transition from IR to a conditioning stint. Seems like the Volpatti and Luongo for Parros trade fell through...

Will take it but in my mind Volpatti and Lapierre were our staple 4th liners. Our best looking 4th line in years was Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise. Always consistent, physical and battled hard. I don't understand why AV and MG would mess with their chemistry and the intensity that Volpatti brought.

I guess at this point the only real hole left in our lineup is finding a permanent 3rd line shutdown C.

Archived