40 replies to this topic

#1 whytelight

whytelight

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

So, we've all be complaining how we don't have big bodies in our line-up. That is a fact. Compared to other cup-contenders, we don't have the bodies we need to compete.

Here is the problem: The teams that have the big bodies have big bodies that can actually play hockey. The teams with big bodies are comfortable playing them with their star players because they actually make an offensive contribution to the line.

Our big bodies, at this moment, really don't. Burrows is 10X the hockey player Kassian is and that is why he is on the top line. If Kassian shows the hustle, quickness, drive, and passion that Burrows does, he'd be on the top line.

A big protecting body can't be a line-mate with the Sedins if he can't score goals, defend his zone, set up plays, take his man, and back check. The big bodies on other teams' first and second lines actually play hockey and make contributions. Right now, ours don't.

To make matters worse, our big bodies (4th line) are not a scoring threat. It is a bad sign when other teams' 4th lines are scoring on our 1st lines. It's a bad sign when we can't trust our 4th line to chip in 60 combined points let alone defend our own and bash the hell out of the other teams' 1st line.

Already people are commenting on how we'd put our newcomer, Sestito, up with the top 6. Are you kidding me? Is he an actual hockey player? The Sedins need a hockey player with them......not a trunk to bounce pucks off.

A talented, hockey-playing big body will cost us. And, unfortunately, GMMG does not seem to want to pay.

Maybe he's looking at downtown Surrey for some big bodies.....they're free.

#2 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Van Riemsdyk would be a nice addition ::D

cL3GIZK.jpg

Credit to Parise11 for the amazing sig!

#3 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

POPULAR

Go ahead, say big bodies one more time. That'll sell your argument.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#4 whytelight

whytelight

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

See, we'd have to give up Luongo (if TO even wants him) and probably Tanev or Burrows. RL by himself will not leave for the team for a star to come back.

Really, we should be happy with picks/prospects for a RL deal.

#5 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

A talented, hockey-playing big body will cost us. And, unfortunately, GMMG does not seem to want to pay.

Maybe he's looking at downtown Surrey for some big bodies.....they're free.

What do you mean? we traded Hodgson for just this and I would say Gillis took a huge risk with that. Yah he's not in his prime right now but he's young and getting better. Also, the only reason I think Burrows is playing with the Sedins is to help them defensively because I remember the Sedins getting stuck in their own zone a lot when Kassian was playing with them but in the offensive zone they looked good.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#6 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

I was expecting something to do with perpetual motion. I am actually disappointed.

#7 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,881 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Does Dustin Buffoon count? .. B)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#8 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

its about drafting. Burke, Nonis, and early Gillis: take the most skilled guy available.

guess what? the most skilled guy at their picking spot was small, cause everyone else had passed on the "skilled but small" guy.

It is only recently that Gilles has changed his tactic (after the SCF loss) and looked for "skilled and big" players. Aka Jensen that year. But we aren't going to see the dividends for a few more years.

Does that mean we never win the cup? Depends... if they call the game based on the new (or old now) rules, we have a great chance. Else we have no chance. So... you know what that means... :(

Edited by canucksnihilist, 01 March 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#9 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

I was expecting something to do with perpetual motion. I am actually disappointed.

I am disappointed, but more with the overall argument. When I was reading my eyes would flicker and I kept thinking you were typing big boobies. By the time I realized it was bodies I was not able to finish due to boredom.

Attached File  female-canucks-fan-flashes-player.jpg   74.74KB   6 downloads

Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#10 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Didn't know Pierre had a CDC account

#11 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

We're really beefing the squad up, but potentially losing roster sports for secondary scoring!

#12 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,572 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Kassian is pretty much a rookie. imho He is ready for a top-6 role now but he needs to be put with the twins.
Posted Image

#13 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

OP has it:

"A talented, hockey-playing big body will cost us. And, unfortunately, GMMG does not seem to want to pay."OP

I might add that other GM's don't buy what Gillis is offering.One would think with Luo as the trade bait this would not be so difficult a task.

#14 How the west was won

How the west was won

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

I see where you are going. But you have missed the point. The perpetual problem with the canucks is they are not fighters. Now I'm not talking about dropping the gloves, im talking about winning the little battles.

There are players on this team that can lay devastating hits but choose not to. There are players on this team that can play gritty and be very tough to play against but choose not to. The mentality is to hurt the other team on the scoreboard. But I don't get that mentality at all. You don't want to hurt the team at all, you want to beat them. If you beat them to the puck and off the puck you will beat them on the scoreboard. Dropping the gloves does one thing and that is take the guys out of the game that are willing to fight.

The Canucks do not need players who will fight for 30 seconds and then sit in the box for 5 minutes, that is not toughness.

The Canucks need to change their mentality and fight for their right to win, not back down and try to win. This involves beating the other team at every opportunity available not just when the gloves come off.

Edited by How_the_west_was_won, 01 March 2013 - 10:29 PM.

#15 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

BIG BODIES

#16 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

http://mirtle.blogsp...ht-and-age.html

isn't it funny how we are not as light or small as many on the boards assume?
In fact we are heavier and taller than Boston and Chicago

Maybe we should stop fixating on actual size and think about why we play so small when we are actually a pretty big team...

Edited by CanucksJay, 01 March 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#17 fanfor42

fanfor42

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

I agree with TOMapleLaughs Kassian should be playing with the Sedins. This makes the other lines better as Burrows moves to the second line and so on. . Especially with Kesler out this is key.

#18 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,736 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

Someone say big bodies?

Posted Image

#19 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

BIG BODIES

I see you (t)rollin'... :lol:

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#20 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

I see where you are going. But you have missed the point. The perpetual problem with the canucks is they are not fighters. Now I'm not talking about dropping the gloves, im talking about winning the little battles.

There are players on this team that can lay devastating hits but choose not to. There are players on this team that can play gritty and be very tough to play against but choose not to. The mentality is to hurt the other team on the scoreboard. But I don't get that mentality at all. You don't want to hurt the team at all, you want to beat them. If you beat them to the puck and off the puck you will beat them on the scoreboard. Dropping the gloves does one thing and that is take the guys out of the game that are willing to fight.

The Canucks do not need players who will fight for 30 seconds and then sit in the box for 5 minutes, that is not toughness.

The Canucks need to change their mentality and fight for their right to win, not back down and try to win. This involves beating the other team at every opportunity available not just when the gloves come off.

Maybe we should stop fixating on actual size and think about why we play so small when we are actually a pretty big team...

Agreed. We play smaller than we are and always have. The only exception to that has been Torres and sometimes Lappy. However I would say that a lot of the Canucks' issues right now stem from the fact that they know they play too small and are adjusting. Henrik throwing 2 hits in a period used to be unheard of. Canucks players throwing down as often as we have this season (and winning!) is also a rare sight. The team is clearly trying to get a feel for how to play a physical game, and are struggling because they must maintain sound defensive positioning at all times (which rarely allows for a big hit).

As they start to see teams back off from the puck due to the physical threat, I think they'll really hit their stride though. I've already seen serious changes in how the Canucks play that lead me to believe AV is not nearly as stagnant as CDC thinks, but totally transforming our game isn't going to happen overnight, and it's going to result in growing pains, like what we're seeing now.

#21 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

Does Dustin Buffoon count? .. B)

yes he counts... he's got real good hands and from prince george. he has caused us a lot of greef in the past. i would like to see him suit up for us.

#22 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

Couldnt you just say chronic problem or recurring problem? Perpertual means eternal or everlasting. Some day the Canucks wont be here.

#23 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Edit: please delete...I quoted the wrong post

Edited by tigbond, 02 March 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#24 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

As one of the comments on that page reads: "It would be amazing to see a similar chart normalizing height and weight over icetime, to see who truly was the most effectively big. Right now you would have small-minute guys like John Scott creating a distortion that isn't really there."

#25 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

mmmm...big bodies...
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#26 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Kassian is pretty much a rookie. imho He is ready for a top-6 role now but he needs to be put with the twins.

He has been the week link on every line he's played on including the forth. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he a -2 last game with like 4 mins of ice time. He looks like he feels like its his line mates responsibility to back check and he just needs to sit there till the puck comes to him.

We all saw how the twins played with him on there line that's why he's not on it, sure he got some tap ins in front of the net on the PP with them and I'd be ok with him playing the PP with them but you really think he should be getting first line min's?

You see what people who want kass to be in the top six don't understand is the part of his game that needs the most work is his unwillingness to put in 100% in other words he's lazy. Rewarding a lazy player by moving him to the first line will not help him or the team. He needs to be on the 4th line and work hard for 4mins a game then gradually have his mins expanded when he shows he's willing to work.

Right now it almost looks like he's trying to get sent down. So lets play him with the twins right?

Edit: I understand you want him on the first because he's "a big body" but he doesn't play like one so its a bit counterproductive.

Edited by Nino, 02 March 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#27 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

so you want big bodies?

do they need to have a big, good looking body about 6-5 235lbs measured?
(just like Dan Darrasio of bc lions fame wants) ;)

#28 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

I agree with TOMapleLaughs Kassian should be playing with the Sedins. This makes the other lines better as Burrows moves to the second line and so on. . Especially with Kesler out this is key.

Why would you mess with the top scoring line? Burrows is a better match with the twins. He knows exactly where to be, all the time. He's like the 3rd 'twin'. Kass needs to work on his game and earn his way up the lines. I would like to see him get some PP minutes, as he has the size to create havoc for the goalie and is good at chip ins. Hopefully his game will improve so that he can be put on the Sedin line if another team starts to work them over. IMO Kassian is a project that will take some time to reach his potential.

#29 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

yes he counts... he's got real good hands and from prince george. he has caused us a lot of greef in the past. i would like to see him suit up for us.

I am with you. I have said this more than once, but we would have to give up something pretty substantial to get him. Luongo likely has no interest in going there, so that is out. They are not going to accept say Higgins and Weise for him. What they might take is Schroeder. They are weak in the face off circle.

That is not to say we should trade Schroeder, just pointing out what the Jets might be looking for
Sig too big.

#30 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Lets put Schroeder on waivers cause he is too small and trade Luongo for Buttfuglin and drop Ballard and then pick up Volpatti back.

lol

yeah right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.