The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Perpetual Problem

whytelight

So, we've all be complaining how we don't have big bodies in our line-up. That is a fact. Compared to other cup-contenders, we don't have the bodies we need to compete.

Here is the problem: The teams that have the big bodies have big bodies that can actually play hockey. The teams with big bodies are comfortable playing them with their star players because they actually make an offensive contribution to the line.

Our big bodies, at this moment, really don't. Burrows is 10X the hockey player Kassian is and that is why he is on the top line. If Kassian shows the hustle, quickness, drive, and passion that Burrows does, he'd be on the top line.

A big protecting body can't be a line-mate with the Sedins if he can't score goals, defend his zone, set up plays, take his man, and back check. The big bodies on other teams' first and second lines actually play hockey and make contributions. Right now, ours don't.

To make matters worse, our big bodies (4th line) are not a scoring threat. It is a bad sign when other teams' 4th lines are scoring on our 1st lines. It's a bad sign when we can't trust our 4th line to chip in 60 combined points let alone defend our own and bash the hell out of the other teams' 1st line.

Already people are commenting on how we'd put our newcomer, Sestito, up with the top 6. Are you kidding me? Is he an actual hockey player? The Sedins need a hockey player with them......not a trunk to bounce pucks off.

A talented, hockey-playing big body will cost us. And, unfortunately, GMMG does not seem to want to pay.

Maybe he's looking at downtown Surrey for some big bodies.....they're free.

its about drafting. Burke, Nonis, and early Gillis: take the most skilled guy available.

guess what? the most skilled guy at their picking spot was small, cause everyone else had passed on the "skilled but small" guy.

It is only recently that Gilles has changed his tactic (after the SCF loss) and looked for "skilled and big" players. Aka Jensen that year. But we aren't going to see the dividends for a few more years.

Does that mean we never win the cup? Depends... if they call the game based on the new (or old now) rules, we have a great chance. Else we have no chance. So... you know what that means... :(

OP has it:

"A talented, hockey-playing big body will cost us. And, unfortunately, GMMG does not seem to want to pay."OP

I might add that other GM's don't buy what Gillis is offering.One would think with Luo as the trade bait this would not be so difficult a task.

I see where you are going. But you have missed the point. The perpetual problem with the canucks is they are not fighters. Now I'm not talking about dropping the gloves, im talking about winning the little battles.

There are players on this team that can lay devastating hits but choose not to. There are players on this team that can play gritty and be very tough to play against but choose not to. The mentality is to hurt the other team on the scoreboard. But I don't get that mentality at all. You don't want to hurt the team at all, you want to beat them. If you beat them to the puck and off the puck you will beat them on the scoreboard. Dropping the gloves does one thing and that is take the guys out of the game that are willing to fight.

The Canucks do not need players who will fight for 30 seconds and then sit in the box for 5 minutes, that is not toughness.

The Canucks need to change their mentality and fight for their right to win, not back down and try to win. This involves beating the other team at every opportunity available not just when the gloves come off.

I see where you are going. But you have missed the point. The perpetual problem with the canucks is they are not fighters. Now I'm not talking about dropping the gloves, im talking about winning the little battles.

There are players on this team that can lay devastating hits but choose not to. There are players on this team that can play gritty and be very tough to play against but choose not to. The mentality is to hurt the other team on the scoreboard. But I don't get that mentality at all. You don't want to hurt the team at all, you want to beat them. If you beat them to the puck and off the puck you will beat them on the scoreboard. Dropping the gloves does one thing and that is take the guys out of the game that are willing to fight.

The Canucks do not need players who will fight for 30 seconds and then sit in the box for 5 minutes, that is not toughness.

The Canucks need to change their mentality and fight for their right to win, not back down and try to win. This involves beating the other team at every opportunity available not just when the gloves come off.

Archived