Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The Perpetual Problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#31 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,218 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Why would you mess with the top scoring line? Burrows is a better match with the twins. He knows exactly where to be, all the time. He's like the 3rd 'twin'. Kass needs to work on his game and earn his way up the lines. I would like to see him get some PP minutes, as he has the size to create havoc for the goalie and is good at chip ins. Hopefully his game will improve so that he can be put on the Sedin line if another team starts to work them over. IMO Kassian is a project that will take some time to reach his potential.

Sedin Sedin Kassian will most likely be the playoff line because when the whistles go away, so does Sedin effectiveness unless you can put a talented hulk with them. A good way for Kassian to reach his potential is by playing with elite players (as Sundin rubbed off on them)

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#32 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Agreed. We play smaller than we are and always have. The only exception to that has been Torres and sometimes Lappy. However I would say that a lot of the Canucks' issues right now stem from the fact that they know they play too small and are adjusting. Henrik throwing 2 hits in a period used to be unheard of. Canucks players throwing down as often as we have this season (and winning!) is also a rare sight. The team is clearly trying to get a feel for how to play a physical game, and are struggling because they must maintain sound defensive positioning at all times (which rarely allows for a big hit).

As they start to see teams back off from the puck due to the physical threat, I think they'll really hit their stride though. I've already seen serious changes in how the Canucks play that lead me to believe AV is not nearly as stagnant as CDC thinks, but totally transforming our game isn't going to happen overnight, and it's going to result in growing pains, like what we're seeing now.

Bingo! I completely agree.

#33 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

As one of the comments on that page reads: "It would be amazing to see a similar chart normalizing height and weight over icetime, to see who truly was the most effectively big. Right now you would have small-minute guys like John Scott creating a distortion that isn't really there."

Yeah I thought that was a pretty smart comment as well and would love to see that.

Just comparing Boston's size to ours, they pretty much have 3 roster players that raises their average (Chara, Lucic, Horton)

The rest of the team is smaller than the rest of our team. This brings the question whether they play bigger with that "gang mentality" because they have Chara and Lucic while we as a team are bigger but don't want to throw our bodies around because we dont have a Chara or Lucic to have our back?

If thats the case, maybe the solution is to just play bigger and take the lumps from guys like Lucic and Chara but have the rest of the team continually going after players like Bergeron and Marchand because to protect them all game, Lucic and Chara would be in the box all game.

Edited by CanucksJay, 02 March 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#34 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

I don't think big bodies are the key. You also have to be injury free.
Posted Image

#35 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I don't think big bodies are the key. You also have to be injury free.

true that.
I think that's probably the #1 most important thing.

But, it could also be argued that having lack of team strength or size contributes to being more susceptible to cheap shots that result in injuries (Sedin, Salo)

#36 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

To make matters worse, our big bodies (4th line) are not a scoring threat.

It's a bad sign when we can't trust our 4th line to chip in 60 combined points let alone defend our own and bash the hell out of the other teams' 1st line.

A talented, hockey-playing big body will cost us. And, unfortunately, GMMG does not seem to want to pay.

- Most 4th lines aren't a scoring threat. 60 points is a VERY high number for a 4th line (20 points is HIGH end 4th line production)

- Also, most 4th lines play sheltered minutes (~ 60% offensive zone starts). Vancouvers 4th line typically plays 23-30% of its shifts in the o-zone (facing tough competition). Its a unique deployment (some teams are trending this way). So goal scoring, and playing in the other teams end are rare occurrences.

- MG DID pay... Zack Kassian... He also went hard after Shane Doan... hes obviously trying to add size/skill to our top-6.

#37 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

OP has it:

"A talented, hockey-playing big body will cost us. And, unfortunately, GMMG does not seem to want to pay."OP

I might add that other GM's don't buy what Gillis is offering.One would think with Luo as the trade bait this would not be so difficult a task.

How many skilled big bodies are available on teams who would be interested in Luongo?

I just don't think there is a surplus of these guys in the league... and you rarely see them move.

#38 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

big bodies, yes but good girth for hockey is the key

Edited by 36yrsncounting, 02 March 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#39 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Don't need to be "big", just not small. A team of Keslers and Booths would be fine.

#40 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

http://mirtle.blogsp...ht-and-age.html

isn't it funny how we are not as light or small as many on the boards assume?
In fact we are heavier and taller than Boston and Chicago

Maybe we should stop fixating on actual size and think about why we play so small when we are actually a pretty big team...

The problem is, when you think of certain teams you think of their star players, and reflect the rest of the team around that
- San Jose: Thornton, Marleau
- Boston: Chara, Lucic
- Anaheim: Getzlaf Perry

- Vancouver: Sedins
- Edmonton: Hall, Eberle, RNH

When you think of a team, you naturally think of their best player/s, and form your opinion from there down to the rest of the team.
- The remaining roster becomes an afterthought, and you judge a team 90% based off of their franchise players.

A team like Vancouver has 4 forwards I would consider "soft" (Sedins, Raymond, Schroeder)
But a team like Anaheim has 3 forwards I would consider "soft" (Selanne, Koivu, Bonino)
But the perception between the 2 teams is very different.

#41 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,968 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Go ahead, say big bodies one more time. That'll sell your argument.

*In the voice of Jules Winnfield while pointing a hand cannon at whytelight.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.