The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Perpetual Problem

whytelight

Why would you mess with the top scoring line? Burrows is a better match with the twins. He knows exactly where to be, all the time. He's like the 3rd 'twin'. Kass needs to work on his game and earn his way up the lines. I would like to see him get some PP minutes, as he has the size to create havoc for the goalie and is good at chip ins. Hopefully his game will improve so that he can be put on the Sedin line if another team starts to work them over. IMO Kassian is a project that will take some time to reach his potential.

Agreed. We play smaller than we are and always have. The only exception to that has been Torres and sometimes Lappy. However I would say that a lot of the Canucks' issues right now stem from the fact that they know they play too small and are adjusting. Henrik throwing 2 hits in a period used to be unheard of. Canucks players throwing down as often as we have this season (and winning!) is also a rare sight. The team is clearly trying to get a feel for how to play a physical game, and are struggling because they must maintain sound defensive positioning at all times (which rarely allows for a big hit).

As they start to see teams back off from the puck due to the physical threat, I think they'll really hit their stride though. I've already seen serious changes in how the Canucks play that lead me to believe AV is not nearly as stagnant as CDC thinks, but totally transforming our game isn't going to happen overnight, and it's going to result in growing pains, like what we're seeing now.

As one of the comments on that page reads: "It would be amazing to see a similar chart normalizing height and weight over icetime, to see who truly was the most effectively big. Right now you would have small-minute guys like John Scott creating a distortion that isn't really there."

To make matters worse, our big bodies (4th line) are not a scoring threat.

It's a bad sign when we can't trust our 4th line to chip in 60 combined points let alone defend our own and bash the hell out of the other teams' 1st line.

A talented, hockey-playing big body will cost us. And, unfortunately, GMMG does not seem to want to pay.

Archived