The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Waiver wire explanation

10minMisconduct

Can someone please explain the waiver wire process and what MG said,

"Many teams put a claim on Tom. Canucks were lucky enough to get him".

If we won the president's trophy for being the team with the most points, we should have been the last team eligible to pick him up.

So how can many teams put a claim on Tom and the Canucks got him?

I know it's a shortened season, but wouldn't the waiver wire go by new standings? Why do you think the Canucks have struggled recently? Clearly it was to be closer to the top of the waiver wire list ;)

I heard and understood on 1040, that its a revolving list. For exmple, Washington got Volpatti so now they are at the bottom. They have to wait for everyone else before picking up the next waiver option. This list continues over through each season. If not then every year the bottom team would be first to act, (Edmonton), and get first dibs on waiver options. That would make it very possible that teams higher up may never get the option if waiver aquisitions were small. Im still amused that Calgary could have landed him and would have had to put him on waivers. That would have been sooooooo funny.

Can someone please explain the waiver wire process and what MG said,

"Many teams put a claim on Tom. Canucks were lucky enough to get him".

If we won the president's trophy for being the team with the most points, we should have been the last team eligible to pick him up.

So how can many teams put a claim on Tom and the Canucks got him?

This is what I can gather:

Any player who has played three seasons since signing his first NHL contract or has played 180 NHL games must clear waivers before he is assigned to a minor league affiliate.

Once a player is placed on waivers, teams have 48 hours to put in a claim on that player. If more than one team places a claim, the team with the lower number of points in the previous season is awarded the player. If no team places a claim, the player can be sent to a minor league affiliate.

When a player clears waivers and is sent down then is called up again, he would not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he's played 10 games or been "up" for 30 days.

Any player who has played three seasons since signing his first NHL contract or has played 180 NHL games must clear waivers before he is assigned to a minor league affiliate.

Once a player is placed on waivers, teams have 48 hours to put in a claim on that player. If more than one team places a claim, the team with the lower number of points in the previous season is awarded the player. If no team places a claim, the player can be sent to a minor league affiliate.

When a player clears waivers and is sent down then is called up again, he would not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he's played 10 games or been "up" for 30 days.

I heard and understood on 1040, that its a revolving list. For exmple, Washington got Volpatti so now they are at the bottom. They have to wait for everyone else before picking up the next waiver option. This list continues over through each season. If not then every year the bottom team would be first to act, (Edmonton), and get first dibs on waiver options. That would make it very possible that teams higher up may never get the option if waiver aquisitions were small. Im still amused that Calgary could have landed him and would have had to put him on waivers. That would have been sooooooo funny.

Archived