#1 10minMisconduct

10minMisconduct

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Can someone please explain the waiver wire process and what MG said,

"Many teams put a claim on Tom. Canucks were lucky enough to get him".

If we won the president's trophy for being the team with the most points, we should have been the last team eligible to pick him up.

So how can many teams put a claim on Tom and the Canucks got him?

#2 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

From what I've gathered recently, and I'm no expert, we got a higher priority since we lost Volpatti the day before on waivers.

#3 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

I know it's a shortened season, but wouldn't the waiver wire go by new standings? Why do you think the Canucks have struggled recently? Clearly it was to be closer to the top of the waiver wire list ;)

Edited by C00KIES, 01 March 2013 - 10:08 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#4 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Good question.... Wish they kind of had an official person to monitor and answer decent questions like this.

#5 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

From what I've gathered recently, and I'm no expert, we got a higher priority since we lost Volpatti the day before on waivers.

I've never heard of that...
I always thought it was based on current standings starting from lowest team

Edited by CanucksJay, 01 March 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#6 Luo-Won-Gold

Luo-Won-Gold

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

It means that out of the teams interested to claim the player the team lowest in the standings gets the player.
Sig too big.

#7 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Waivers before Nov 1st would reflect last years standings, waivers Nov 1st and forward reflect this years standings.

Scarlett-Under-Skin.jpg

AriGold

#8 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,538 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Maybe other teams ahead in the queue took a pass?
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#9 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,852 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

Waivers before Nov 1st would reflect last years standings, waivers Nov 1st and forward reflect this years standings.

This, but I am not sure how it would work on a shortened season

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#10 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

I heard and understood on 1040, that its a revolving list. For exmple, Washington got Volpatti so now they are at the bottom. They have to wait for everyone else before picking up the next waiver option. This list continues over through each season. If not then every year the bottom team would be first to act, (Edmonton), and get first dibs on waiver options. That would make it very possible that teams higher up may never get the option if waiver aquisitions were small. Im still amused that Calgary could have landed him and would have had to put him on waivers. That would have been sooooooo funny.

#11 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • 11,852 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

No that is not how it works

The team with the lowest percentage of points at the time of the claim gets the player and if they continue to be the last place team in the league they can essentially take every player that is on waivers providing they have a roster spot for him

Edited by *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*, 01 March 2013 - 11:26 PM.

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

#12 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm with you. If someone has any specific info on how they got this waiver pickup, that would be good to know.

#13 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

Man I thought this thread WAS gonna be an explanation.with the new CBA and shortened season it does seem a little unclear
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#14 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,689 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

No. The only way the order of waivers changes from the reverse of the current standings is if a player previously claimed on waivers is put back on waivers. Then the team that lost the player before gets first option at him.

For example, if Washington decides they want to send Volpatti down to the AHL, then we'd have first option to claim him back before the rest of the teams. Philly would also get the same first option if we wanted to send Sestito down. The first option doesn't apply to any other players on waivers, only the one your team lost originally.

I heard and understood on 1040, that its a revolving list. For exmple, Washington got Volpatti so now they are at the bottom. They have to wait for everyone else before picking up the next waiver option. This list continues over through each season. If not then every year the bottom team would be first to act, (Edmonton), and get first dibs on waiver options. That would make it very possible that teams higher up may never get the option if waiver aquisitions were small. Im still amused that Calgary could have landed him and would have had to put him on waivers. That would have been sooooooo funny.

It isn't a revolving list. Just because you've claimed someone, your position in the standings still determines the picking order for waivers. You can grab as many waiver pickups as your roster allows - a limit in itself since soon you'd have to start dropping roster players yourself in order to get more players off waivers.

The worst teams always get first pick, to try and allow a player a chance to play in the NHL where he wouldn't on a better team, but also so that the worst teams have the opportunity to get better. The better teams have less need to pick up waiver players since, well, they're better already.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#15 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,689 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Can someone please explain the waiver wire process and what MG said,

"Many teams put a claim on Tom. Canucks were lucky enough to get him".

If we won the president's trophy for being the team with the most points, we should have been the last team eligible to pick him up.

So how can many teams put a claim on Tom and the Canucks got him?

Good question.... Wish they kind of had an official person to monitor and answer decent questions like this.

I'm with you. If someone has any specific info on how they got this waiver pickup, that would be good to know.

You all should try reading the threads created about Volpatti and Sestito. Both have had the same answers discussed there multiple times.

#16 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

This is what I can gather:

Any player who has played three seasons since signing his first NHL contract or has played 180 NHL games must clear waivers before he is assigned to a minor league affiliate.

Once a player is placed on waivers, teams have 48 hours to put in a claim on that player. If more than one team places a claim, the team with the lower number of points in the previous season is awarded the player. If no team places a claim, the player can be sent to a minor league affiliate.

When a player clears waivers and is sent down then is called up again, he would not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he's played 10 games or been "up" for 30 days.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#17 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • 11,852 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Any player who has played three seasons since signing his first NHL contract or has played 180 NHL games must clear waivers before he is assigned to a minor league affiliate.

Once a player is placed on waivers, teams have 48 hours to put in a claim on that player. If more than one team places a claim, the team with the lower number of points in the previous season is awarded the player. If no team places a claim, the player can be sent to a minor league affiliate.

When a player clears waivers and is sent down then is called up again, he would not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he's played 10 games or been "up" for 30 days.

Some of this is right as it is from the old CBA

But the new CBA states that teams only have 24 hours to make a claim on a player regardless of the day of week the player is put on waivers

Re entry waivers have also been eliminated

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

Closer but not quite.

The waiver period is 24 hours, unless it's waivers submitted on a Saturday or Sunday, then it's 48 hours.

For when a player is eligible for waivers, it depends on when they signed their first contract, what age they were in that year, and how many NHL games they played. It's not strictly 3 years and 180 games. For instance, a skater who turns 18 in the year they sign their contract has 5 years or 160 NHL games before they have to pass through waivers. A skater who signed when he was 24 then they would have only 2 years and 60 games. The criteria is different for goalies.

The last part is right though, with players not having to immediately have to clear waivers again if they're called up short term. We saw this with Ebbett when he was called up but didn't have to pass waivers when he was sent back down.

Obviously there are a number of other rules around waivers, and a Google search is usually enough to find the answers.

#19 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,417 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

Glad to hear that the primary Vancouver sports radio station has no idea what they are talking about..........
Posted Image

#20 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

so does that mean we no longer have first dibs on Volpatti if he is waived by the Caps?
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#21 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

so does that mean we no longer have first dibs on Volpatti if he is waived by the Caps?

As already mentioned, we didn't get a higher priority in other waivers because we lost Volpatti, and we also don't lose the first priority on Volpatti if the Caps waive him again this year.

#22 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

Closer but not quite.

The waiver period is 24 hours, unless it's waivers submitted on a Saturday or Sunday, then it's 48 hours.

For when a player is eligible for waivers, it depends on when they signed their first contract, what age they were in that year, and how many NHL games they played. It's not strictly 3 years and 180 games. For instance, a skater who turns 18 in the year they sign their contract has 5 years or 160 NHL games before they have to pass through waivers. A skater who signed when he was 24 then they would have only 2 years and 60 games. The criteria is different for goalies.

The last part is right though, with players not having to immediately have to clear waivers again if they're called up short term. We saw this with Ebbett when he was called up but didn't have to pass waivers when he was sent back down.

Obviously there are a number of other rules around waivers, and a Google search is usually enough to find the answers.

They changed that. It's 24 hours no matter the day now.

#23 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,461 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

I guess that means a bunch of the good teams in the league wanted him and we somehow snagged him instead. You'd think worse teams than the Canucks would be jousting for this guy, especially if teams better than the Canucks all wanted him.
Posted Image

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

They changed that. It's 24 hours no matter the day now.

The site I was using as reference had a number of updates but may have missed that. I hadn't heard it myself.

#25 'NucKô

'NucKô

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

I guess that means a bunch of the good teams in the league wanted him and we somehow snagged him instead. You'd think worse teams than the Canucks would be jousting for this guy, especially if teams better than the Canucks all wanted him.

nope, we're the worst team that wanted him..

(seriously though, it's probably because teams currently out of a playoff spot would rather give a young guy a chance than sign a career fourth liner)

Edited by 'NucKô, 02 March 2013 - 01:53 AM.

Posted Image

#26 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

nope, we're the worst team that wanted him..

(seriously though, it's probably because teams currently out of a playoff spot would rather give a young guy a chance than sign a career fourth liner)

So looking at league standings, teams that may have wanted him but we were ahead of(and consequently behind) are:
Chicago, Anaheim, Montreal, Boston, Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Toronto.

I am guessing Toronto, and maybe Anaheim and Boston had interest in him.
Sig too big.

#27 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

So looking at league standings, teams that may have wanted him but we were ahead of(and consequently behind) are:
Chicago, Anaheim, Montreal, Boston, Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Toronto.

I am guessing Toronto, and maybe Anaheim and Boston had interest in him.

Apparently MTL and CHI were interested in him
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#28 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Glad to hear that the primary Vancouver sports radio station has no idea what they are talking about..........

Yea no doubt. Next time I'll wiki the answer. Straight from wiki. "If more than one team makes a claim, then the player will be transferred to the team having the lowest percentage of possible points in league standings at the time of the request for waivers." I think that is a silly rule since more often than not, players that are being waived are probably not that great. So lets make a rule that the crappiest teams get first dibs on them.

#29 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

The site I was using as reference had a number of updates but may have missed that. I hadn't heard it myself.

Here it is...

http://www.nhl.com/n...2,_2013 (1).pdf

"Waiver period will be standardized at 24 hours, regardless of the day of the week."

Edited by Opmac, 02 March 2013 - 01:00 PM.

Posted Image

#30 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Yea no doubt. Next time I'll wiki the answer. Straight from wiki. "If more than one team makes a claim, then the player will be transferred to the team having the lowest percentage of possible points in league standings at the time of the request for waivers." I think that is a silly rule since more often than not, players that are being waived are probably not that great. So lets make a rule that the crappiest teams get first dibs on them.

Still better than allowing the better teams first crack at him. A bad team might have holes and the player getting waived might be good, just not good enough to crack a top team's roster.

Here it is...

http://www.nhl.com/n...2,_2013 (1).pdf

"Waiver period will be standardized at 24 hours, regardless of the day of the week."

Good find, I'll have a look at that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.