The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Waiver wire explanation

10minMisconduct

Closer but not quite.

The waiver period is 24 hours, unless it's waivers submitted on a Saturday or Sunday, then it's 48 hours.

For when a player is eligible for waivers, it depends on when they signed their first contract, what age they were in that year, and how many NHL games they played. It's not strictly 3 years and 180 games. For instance, a skater who turns 18 in the year they sign their contract has 5 years or 160 NHL games before they have to pass through waivers. A skater who signed when he was 24 then they would have only 2 years and 60 games. The criteria is different for goalies.

The last part is right though, with players not having to immediately have to clear waivers again if they're called up short term. We saw this with Ebbett when he was called up but didn't have to pass waivers when he was sent back down.

Obviously there are a number of other rules around waivers, and a Google search is usually enough to find the answers.

I guess that means a bunch of the good teams in the league wanted him and we somehow snagged him instead. You'd think worse teams than the Canucks would be jousting for this guy, especially if teams better than the Canucks all wanted him.

So looking at league standings, teams that may have wanted him but we were ahead of(and consequently behind) are:

Chicago, Anaheim, Montreal, Boston, Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Toronto.

I am guessing Toronto, and maybe Anaheim and Boston had interest in him.

Yea no doubt. Next time I'll wiki the answer. Straight from wiki. "If more than one team makes a claim, then the player will be transferred to the team having the lowest percentage of possible points in league standings at the time of the request for waivers." I think that is a silly rule since more often than not, players that are being waived are probably not that great. So lets make a rule that the crappiest teams get first dibs on them.

Archived