212 replies to this topic

#181 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

Couldn't this just be a chance to see Alberts and Barker on the ice?

Stop freaking out guys, you don't know the whole story
Posted Image

#182 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

That discussion:

AV saying Ballard at 4.2M your not very good you know? Then Ballard saying I know, still a nice cheque weekly though dont feel bad for me, sorry I guess I excelled on bad non elite teams and not the player you thought.

Reality:

We have a weak back end and need toughness to punish for a long playoff run, and they need game time minutes for some cohesion to become effective.

Wouldn't it be harder to excel on a weaker, non-elite team?

Ballard is not the player everyone thought because AV decided he should be a completely different type of player. Kudos to the guy for actually completely changing his game. Do you know how hard that is for ANY player to do at the NHL level?

And anyone who says Ballard has been our worst D this season either just hates him blindly or has not actually been watching the games objectively. He has been one of our better dmen overall this year.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 04 March 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#183 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

I'll believe it when I actually see it. Giving an A to Ballard definitely not A.V's idea. Players must have suggested it because he is a good teammate.

Good on AV for rewarding by being a healthy scratch in 2 straight games and probably a third vs the Sharks . :picard:

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#184 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

I'm surprised Ballard hasn't asked for a trade yet. I hope that he does because he deserves a hell of a lot more than this. AV's complete disrespect towards Ballard has made me an even less fan of him. It goes beyond pathetic at this point. On the other hand, Ballard has been as professional as ever throughout his time here. Never has complained once.

Edited by WestCoastCanucks, 04 March 2013 - 04:01 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#185 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

Something must be in the works for Ballard. I hate to say it, but I'm going to throw Florida back out there, as they just lost Kulikov to injury, a LH puck moving D. If we can send Ballard their way and get a pick back, I'd be happy.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#186 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

Trade Ballard, Booth and a 3rd to Washington for Marcus Johansson to address 3rd line center need.

Or Ballard,Schroeder, and a 3rd to Florida for Shawn Matthias and Tyson Strachan.

Edited by Terry Crews, 04 March 2013 - 04:15 AM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#187 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

I guarantee you that players coming up as free agents or being asked to waive a NTC definitely pay attention to this kind of treatment of players......

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 04 March 2013 - 04:10 AM.

#188 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

I'll believe it when I actually see it. Giving an A to Ballard definitely not A.V's idea. Players must have suggested it because he is a good teammate.

Good on AV for rewarding by being a healthy scratch in 2 straight games and probably a third vs the Sharks . :picard:

I think the thread title is wrong. He was named "alternate d-man" not "alternate captain".
Posted Image

#189 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

I guarantee you that players coming up as free agents or being asked to waive a NTC definitely pay attention to this kind of treatment of players......

And yet Garrison signed here for less than what other teams offered.....
Posted Image

#190 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

I hope when Ballard does get traded and gets put in a role that allows him to play to his strengths he shows all you guys how wrong you are and how stupid your favorite coach is.

Is AV an NHL plant from Bettman? To ensure the Canucks never win a cup? Sure seems like he needlessly tries to mess up the chemistry of the team and the confidence of players that are not on his favorite list.

#191 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

How many times can Gillis go to the "I'm from BC" well? That Garrison contract will be a nightmare by the time all is said and done. And how do you know others offered more? That is ALWAYS what teams who sign a free agent say.....

#192 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

How many NHL players do you know? Like as in personally know and talk to about hockey related stuff? And how many NHL coaches do you know?

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 04 March 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#193 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

What is all this BS about getting guys in the team who are bigger. Where is the bit about being better. The fact is Ballard came back off an injury to play in the playoffs against LA (the BIG team) and was probably our best D if not our best player.

It takes more than size to play in the SC finals, Duncan Keith is 6'-1" and 200 lbs and Kris Letang is 6'-0" and 201lbs. Keith Ballard is 5'-11" and 208 lbs.

I constantly support AV and point out he has been given nothing much to upgrade the team in 2 years but this idiosyncratic approach to team selection is I'm afraid getting me down and if there is not an injury behind it, becoming indefensible.
Kevin.jpg

#194 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

I hope when Ballard does get traded and gets put in a role that allows him to play to his strengths he shows all you guys how wrong you are and how stupid your favorite coach is.

Is AV an NHL plant from Bettman? To ensure the Canucks never win a cup? Sure seems like he needlessly tries to mess up the chemistry of the team and the confidence of players that are not on his favorite list.

Well said mate.
It is not long since I was saying the same thing about Raymond.
Kevin.jpg

#195 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

Think Justin Schultz.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#196 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

It's like Tony Gallagher always says, "Everything he does seems counterintuitive".

I think it bests describes the Vigneault style.

#197 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

Think Justin Schultz.

Exactly......what offensive minded D wants to be turned into a plug by AV just to be able to stay in the lineup? Or sent to the minors? Or given 12 minutes per game?

#198 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

We really should trade Ballard, it would be a win-win situation. The Canucks need to be big on the back-end and Ballard is small and not very physical. Alberts has done a great job so far, as has Barker stepping in, and we also have a big, physical Vandermeer waiting in the wings. Alberts and Barker are proving they're enough depth we need on the blueline, we could sustain two injuries to our top-4 and still be relatively fine.

Meanwhile this team needs centers. Trade Ballard and a pick for a decent 3rd line center who's good at faceoffs. Everyone wins. Our playoff-ready defence looks like this:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer
Posted Image

#199 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

It's such a shame that Gillis is so reluctant to pull the trigger on Vig. I still think that with a coach that used the players we have here now to their strengths instead of to their weaknesses like Vig does, we could still be a serious threat to win a Stanley Cup. I've always had trouble understanding Gillis' loyalty to a guy he inherited from Dave Nonis but whatever it is the window for this group is closing fast and Gillis needs to act soon or it's going to be late.

#200 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

It's such a shame that Gillis is so reluctant to pull the trigger on Vig. I still think that with a coach that used the players we have here now to their strengths instead of to their weaknesses like Vig does, we could still be a serious threat to win a Stanley Cup. I've always had trouble understanding Gillis' loyalty to a guy he inherited from Dave Nonis but whatever it is the window for this group is closing fast and Gillis needs to act soon or it's going to be late.

THIS....what have we really got to lose?

#201 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

How many times can Gillis go to the "I'm from BC" well? That Garrison contract will be a nightmare by the time all is said and done. And how do you know others offered more? That is ALWAYS what teams who sign a free agent say.....

Isn't that simply picking and choosing what YOU want to believe?

It was reported from outside the organization that Garrison had better offers. Ballard was just downright awful his first season here and average at best his season. Garrison has matched Ballards career goal production as a Canuck in only 21 games. Making the Garrison contract less of a nightmare than Ballards already.
Posted Image

#202 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Exactly......what offensive minded D wants to be turned into a plug by AV just to be able to stay in the lineup? Or sent to the minors? Or given 12 minutes per game?

And why on earth would a rookie be expected to earn his ice time?
Posted Image

#203 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

We really should trade Ballard, it would be a win-win situation. The Canucks need to be big on the back-end and Ballard is small and not very physical. Alberts has done a great job so far, as has Barker stepping in, and we also have a big, physical Vandermeer waiting in the wings. Alberts and Barker are proving they're enough depth we need on the blueline, we could sustain two injuries to our top-4 and still be relatively fine.

Meanwhile this team needs centers. Trade Ballard and a pick for a decent 3rd line center who's good at faceoffs. Everyone wins. Our playoff-ready defence looks like this:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer

I agree we should trade Ballard since our coach has some personal dislike towards him and won't play him even if he's the better option but Alberts and Barker in the playoffs would get eaten alive against a team like Chicago. Barker was average at best today and Alberts has been awful at times.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#204 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Gets named alternate captain.

Healthy scratch.

The saga continues.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#205 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#206 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

I think it's clear we're trying to trade him.

We know that Ballard has been playing well as of late. This effectively showcased his skill and proves to other GM's that he's worth considering.

We played two games in a row with players lower on the depth chart than him. This is management's way of making sure our team can get by without him. With one of Barker or Alberts in, we have the other one and Vandermeer as our backup guys. Could be a lot worse. Defense (especially on paper) is our biggest strength.

Now MG can reassess his trade value and get us something we need, hopefully sooner than later.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Tanev - Alberts
Barker
Vandermeer

Couldn't this just be a chance to see Alberts and Barker on the ice?

Stop freaking out guys, you don't know the whole story

Something must be in the works for Ballard. I hate to say it, but I'm going to throw Florida back out there, as they just lost Kulikov to injury, a LH puck moving D. If we can send Ballard their way and get a pick back, I'd be happy.

#207 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

How many NHL players do you know? Like as in personally know and talk to about hockey related stuff? And how many NHL coaches do you know?

What does this have to do with anything?
Posted Image

#208 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Fire AV - and quickly hire Lindy Ruff before the guy is snatched up by another team.
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#209 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,176 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Gets named alternate captain.

Healthy scratch.

The saga continues.

Again, there's been no announcement he's been named an alternate captain. All this is based off of is one picture with him wearing a promotional jersey with an 'A' on it - and other pictures from the same promotional event show him without an 'A' on his jersey.

We've always known at some point we'd have to see what Barker can do in the lineup. If injuries happen, we have to know if we can rely on him, or if we need to upgrade. We're much more familiar with Alberts, and his size came in handy against the Kings, but in the event a trade does happen we need to know what we're asking for in return, and what we're giving up.

We know we'll have to cut cap before next season. Ballard is a likely candidate, and we know a goalie trade will happen eventually. We'll have to consider what the best value back for each and if we can address any teams needs in the process. That's likely all this is, and while a trade may happen sooner than later I don't expect it to so this is just a normal operation of an NHL team.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#210 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Good on Ballard. Has battled his way for two years to gain the trust of the coaching staff and confidence of the fans and is being rewarded. He has been very solid this year and I bet if you start giving him some regular minutes on the powerplay the pointw ill start to add uo. I really like Keith Ballard and glad he has become a good fixture with the team. Making a hard case for MG to trade of buyout now.

His confidence is starting to comeback and Im sure his offensive instincts will surely comeback too.

2moy3iq.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.