The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No trade clauses: How many are we up to now?

Burrows' Breath

MG certainly likes to dole out the "NTC's" as an incentive for players to sign. However, they can back us into a corner and devalue assets like Luongo by limiting the number of possible destinations we can trade him to. I get that they can entice players to sign and re-sign here, but anymore than a couple on one roster starts to limit what we can do to move assets when weaknesses (cough... lack of center iceman... cough) arise. I've been looking for the most recent and updated list of all the Canucks' NTC's. Anyone know?

Sedins

Kesler- kicked in July 2012

Hamhuis

Garrison

Bieksa

Edler- kicks in July 2013

Malhotra- limited NTC

that's 8 NTC's and that is a lot-does any other team have more? Is Garrison deserving of an NTC. If Edler keeps this up, we move him before his NTC kicks in like we should have done with Kesler. He is useless now.

Sedins

Kesler- kicked in July 2012

Hamhuis

Garrison

Bieksa

Edler- kicks in July 2013

Malhotra- limited NTC

that's 8 NTC's and that is a lot-does any other team have more? Is Garrison deserving of an NTC. If Edler keeps this up, we move him before his NTC kicks in like we should have done with Kesler. He is useless now.

10 too many. That LA team sure is managed well (and LA is more attractive to players). These contracts just breed complacency. They also tie up the team so that making changes or adapting playing styles becomes very difficult.

Well lets look at this

Hank - Fully deserving and wouldn't be going anywhere anyways.

Dank - likewise

Lu - Already stated he is willing to wave it so may or may not be here next season

Kesler - Selke winning centre 4th most decorated member of team. Injury prone but 9/10 teams in league would be better with him.

Malhotra - Last year of contract, on IR, no real effect on the team right now. Also, it is limited.

Hamhuis - Best defensive D man on our team

Bieksa - Took below market price contract, career canuck, alternate captain, above average top 4 D man.

Garrison - Jury is still out on this one, might not have earned it, but still learning system

Next year:

Burrows - Every one loves burr, unless your not a canuck of course

Edler - Could come back to bite us, but has proven his offensive prowess in his 5 seasons with the team.

So essentially I look at it as:

Of the 4 forwards that have NTC 3 ultimately have earned it, while one is already off the books anyways, and essentially gets passed off to Burrows, another deservin and g career canuck.

Of the 4 Defense that have/will have NTC I think Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Edler have earned theirs in this league, but I still say there is a chance Edler gets moved before his kicks in. I don't think Garrison earned his NTC so it MAY bite the team in the ass. Look to him as being a possible 2014 off-season buy out candidate, I think they give him 2 seasons.

Finally Lu. Vezina nominated, jennings winning, 3 time all-star, gold medal winning, elite goalie? Yeah, I don't know if he deserved it or not.

So all in all I think there NTC's handed out will do minimum damage to the team, and expect 1-2 of them to be off the team in the next few years anyways.

Well lets look at this

Hank - Fully deserving and wouldn't be going anywhere anyways.

Dank - likewise

Lu - Already stated he is willing to wave it so may or may not be here next season

Kesler - Selke winning centre 4th most decorated member of team. Injury prone but 9/10 teams in league would be better with him.

Malhotra - Last year of contract, on IR, no real effect on the team right now. Also, it is limited.

Hamhuis - Best defensive D man on our team

Bieksa - Took below market price contract, career canuck, alternate captain, above average top 4 D man.

Garrison - Jury is still out on this one, might not have earned it, but still learning system

Next year:

Burrows - Every one loves burr, unless your not a canuck of course

Edler - Could come back to bite us, but has proven his offensive prowess in his 5 seasons with the team.

So essentially I look at it as:

Of the 4 forwards that have NTC 3 ultimately have earned it, while one is already off the books anyways, and essentially gets passed off to Burrows, another deservin and g career canuck.

Of the 4 Defense that have/will have NTC I think Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Edler have earned theirs in this league, but I still say there is a chance Edler gets moved before his kicks in. I don't think Garrison earned his NTC so it MAY bite the team in the ass. Look to him as being a possible 2014 off-season buy out candidate, I think they give him 2 seasons.

Finally Lu. Vezina nominated, jennings winning, 3 time all-star, gold medal winning, elite goalie? Yeah, I don't know if he deserved it or not.

So all in all I think there NTC's handed out will do minimum damage to the team, and expect 1-2 of them to be off the team in the next few years anyways.

You can make a case that all are deserving except maybe garrison but he also signed our hometown discount and was being offered more from other teams. That is the only one that worries me a little. That being said, everyone of them are good players and if the team is need of a major shake up one day, I'm sure you will be able to get a couple of them to submit lists. Half the teams in the league at any given time are looking to upgrade their top 4 defense. If it came down to it I'm sure you will get one to waive it and make a good "hockey" trade. Looking at how many there are is a bit deceiving IMO, if we were the Calgary flames it would be a different story.

Having this core locked up, supporting players like Hansen on good contracts and the odd injection of fully developed, seasoned youth should give us a shot at the cup over the next 5 years.. Sure they are going to stumble and slump here and there going through those 5 years, but make no mistake, this is a good team.

The luongo issue is the length of his contract not the NTC. Teams are being hesitant and hoping the can luck out with their current goalies. Some will and some won't and we will make a trade that improves the team eventually.

The real question is.. Do you really want to trade any of them? If so, make a proposal and see what other Canuck fans have to say about it lol

NTC doesnt mean too much in the grand scheme of things. If you were a player and the GM asked you to waive you NTC then you probably wouldnt want to remain on that team. You just get options to veto going to teams you dont want. It reduces the GM's options perhaps, but does not eliminate them. For example: Luongo may only have one or two teams willing to make a trade for him that MG would accept. If both options are not acceptable to Lou then he can stay here and share the crease with Cory. My guess he would take the option to leave and be a number one again even if the team was not one he would want to go to. In Luongos case, his contract almost nulifies his NTC if he truly wishes to be a number one goalie. Thats, of course if they dont end up moving Cory, because its easier and the return may be greater.

How the heck is Kesler injury prone all of the sudden. Granted he has not had a great year in that department but I would not relate him to someone like Salo. I don't understand how some people seem to take the most recent circumstances and project them over a players entire career.

How the heck is Kesler injury prone all of the sudden. Granted he has not had a great year in that department but I would not relate him to someone like Salo. I don't understand how some people seem to take the most recent circumstances and project them over a players entire career.

Interesting topic. Thanks for the replies.

10 too many. That LA team sure is managed well (and LA is more attractive to players). These contracts just breed complacency. They also tie up the team so that making changes or adapting playing styles becomes very difficult.

The players don't have to focus on trades and can perform to their full potential. I'd prefer personally that they give it their all and don't have to focus on other things when times get hard or they are not scoring.. The way it's set up is fine by me, the only example you could use would be Lu and he is a team player first so don't think that is really even an example. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with any of those Canucks having NTCs - and really, a NTC isn't quite what it sounds like - really it just gives the player the power to refuse to go to bottomfeeder franchises.

NMCs are what must be avoided at all costs - like the one Ilya Bryzgalov has lol.

Archived