The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jensen the " Goal Scorer "

J.I.A.H.N

I'd be excited to see Jensen with the Twins, he would go off!

Thing is; the Twins need a glue guy, and have always worked best with a guy who has speed, but is also willing to dig, fore check, go to the net, do their dirtiest work...

Kassian, Bitz, Lapierre and others have proven they can score when with the Twins, Jensen might a little more; but can he do what the Twins need in return?

Before Kesler got injured, I was really hoping that the line combinations that were getting bandied about in the press, involving Jensen, might actually come to pass. A number of Canucks pundits were suggesting this:

2nd line: Jensen-Kesler-Kassian

And, after thinking about it, I found myself hoping that AV might actually try something like that (unlikely as it would be for two young players to be given such an important role as filling out the 2nd line with Kesler). But Jensen and Kassian are the future of this team's top six (as the overall roster stands right now) so it would ge great if they could start building some chemistry, especially with Kesler (who will be the only other top-six centre not named Sedin, until the twins eventually hang things up).

My hope was that the weak Northwest Division would allow the Canucks to keep the line of Jensen-Kesler-Kassian together for nearly the entire month of March (without having to shake-up the lines if the record wasn't great--only need to win enough games to make the playoffs). Let the young guys make mistakes and learn from them now. Let them get to know each other and build chemistry for the future. Also, let Kesler have two wingers who have the skill and creativity necessary that he might actually start passing the puck to his wingers. Jensen is a sniper with the size to go hard to the net and to hold position. We've all seen what Kassian can do when he plays significant minutes with talented linemates. I could really see this trio developing into something special: giving the Canucks a 2nd line (and eventually a 1st line) with upside (thinking positive here) similar to what Anaheim had with the "Kid Line" of Perry-Getzlaf-Penner.

Teams don't win Stanley Cups without significant contributions from their young players. We've seen prospects step into major roles during their rookie years on several recent championship teams.

If Kes hadn't have been hurt, I would have loved to see what a month of playing together (every game and against every opponent, no matter how many mistakes they make or how few points they're getting--AV puts the blender away and just locks this one in place for one month) could have done for that line. Maybe they prove themselves unready for this big a step and you go back to the usual Kesler "helicopter" line (no wings, at least in Kes's mind) and move Kass to the 4th and Jensen to the AHL. But maybe, just maybe, they click and the Canucks have a 2nd line that creates even more fear in their opponents than the twins's line (and thereby frees up the Sedins to face less pressure and net lower QualComp).

Unfortunately, this option is gone so we need to try to make do with a lineup without Kesler.

Until another centre becomes available, if forced to choose between Raymond or Burrows (or Hansen/Higgins/etc), I'd lean towards using Burr as the winger-turned-centre. CanucksArmy has (IIRC) a good article on why Burrows is the best choice. I tend to think that Burrows is the only player the Canucks have (who is not named Kesler or Sedin) who can carry a line and Burrows is fairly unique on this team (other than possibly Hansen) in his ability to ignite other players and heat up a line. So, given the current roster options, I suppose I'd temporarily go with some version of this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Jensen

Booth-Schroeder-Raymond

Higgins/Hansen-Burrows-Kassian/Jensen

Sestito/Wiese-Lappierre-Higgins/Hansen

until Pinner finishes his conditioning stint, then roll with:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian

Booth-Lappierre-Raymond

Higgins-Pinizzotto*-Hansen

*(Pinner can play all three forward positions (he's even listed as a centre on AHL.com), as have Hansen and Higgins, at times. Split the draws according to strong sides and who has more success).

Wiese and Sestito in pressbox, but can rotate in against larger, more physical lineups (or teams with grudges or rivalry history). All in all, the lines are fairly balanced and have good flexibility. Other than the Sedin line (which is the 1st line), the other lines can rotate positions 2-4 and share icetime according to who's playing best and which lines prove most successful in various situations. The Pinner line is not a 5-6 minutes/game line--give them more like 9-12 minutes/game (EV) plus PK. Lines 2 and 3 share the 2nd line O-starts and PP slots, while Lappy's line also plays some PK. Basically, the minutes are getting split-up fairly evenly, once you get past the Sedin's line (who should net around a total TOI/game over 20 minutes on most nights).

Hopefully, this lineup allows Jensen and Kassian to still build some chemistry together over the remainder of the season (until Kesler comes back from injury). If Kesler comes back and replaces Schroeder on a line where two large, dynamic, talented, and punishing wingers are playing well together, finding each other with passes, and potting some timely goals, then Kesler is certainly capable of jumping in and getting on board while the getting is good. Someone else made a good argument a while back (not sure if here or someplace else) that Kesler isn't unwilling to use his linemates, he just chooses the best play available and, more often than not, the skill/ability disparity on his lines means that the best plays are nearly always off of his stick. If he sees two wingers who consistently offer him better options, Kesler can easily become the good playmaker that he's been in the past (and not the "puckhog who doesn't use his linemates" that we've been hearing all too much about lately).

And, of course, when Kesler's back, the centres shift down (and Pinner goes to the pressbox):

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Jensen-Kesler-Kassian

Booth-Schroeder**-Raymond

Higgins-Lappierre-Hansen

Pinizzotto, Wiese/Sestito (whoever is playing better between Wiese and Sestito--and I think Pinner will be better than either of them)

**(Schroeder should hopefully slide into this line fairly well, given that he's played well with Raymond. Booth and Raymond stay together, from the previous line, so the chemistry remains partially intact)

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Time for ol' SISMIM to go back into hibernation for a little while longer. For those who know me, I promise I'll be back posting regularly soon, but my wife and I just had twins a few months back and we're, let's say... a little too busy for me to spend much time puttering around the CDC these days. :frantic:

On that note: sorry to everyone who hasn't received replies to PM's over the last year or so. I kinda dropped off the forums map completely and I'm not quite back on yet. Hoping to re-join these infuriating yet endearing boards very soon!

Not sure where all the hate for Higgins is coming from this year--he seems to be in everyone's healthy scratch/trade proposals. IMO he has been one of our top forwards this year, probably longer. Can anyone explain?

Not sure where I'd place Jensen into your lineups, OP, but as it stands I'd have Higgins in instead of Booth. If Pin is healthy and assuming Sestito is performing adequately, I'd have Pinizzotto in over Weise.

Also I'd probably switch CH and JH. Bah, tough trying to shoehorn in an unknown into our lineup. Hopefully he does well in Chicago and we get a better look at him.

Booth is a top 6, if they felt he didn't fit on top 6 once he was at game speed they would trade him, jensen hasn't proven anything at this level. Sedins can make pretty much anyone look good but have that long time chemistry with burrows. Kassian..... Well no one knows what kassian is going to show up each night he either plays like a 1st liner or a 4th line which will hopefully change with age. But end of the day with a healthy roster there ain't much room on our top 9 for this kid. Lots of contracts run out this summer tho and expect to see him get his fair shot at making it for next season

I share the opinion of others that he won't be here this year,

but for the sake of this discussion...

I would prefer:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burr-Kesler-Hansen - Checking

Raymond-Schroeder-Jensen - Scoring Line

Weise-Lapierre- Higgins

Pinnizzoto and Sestito are welcomed additions,

but I would only slot them in if we're injured (which we are)

or for Weise.

Chicago has two 19/20 year olds in their lineup this year.

There's something to be said about young talent that can come in and perform. Jensen has played with men already. He's shown he can adjust to every level he has played at.

I say give him a shot. He's got the size, speed, and shot to make him successful. Just needs to learn how to get on the right side of plays.

As for Jensen, not until he is ready for first or second line ice time, should would even be discussing him, in our line up. If he has that in him this year, awesome, but let him prove it, before ya figure where to slot him into the line up.

That being said, it has been much to long since we have had a good forward prospect come up through our system and crack our line up, well one we didn't end up trading anyway. you see so many teams with good young forwards finding roster spots all over the league. so wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack at it.

Great comments! Can't argue with much here. It is all pie in the sky until Jensen proves it, " IF " given a chance! But just for the sake of discussion, I remember guys that were such pure goal scorers it was amasing. Bossy and Espo come to mind. I see a little bit of them in Jensen, mostly in the release. So quick! Hits his spots too! Doesn't seem to waste his oppertunities, of coarse Video high lights will do that, but most write ups talk about those abilities. With Daniel and Henrik being such good passers, it just seems natural to me.

As for Hansen/Kesler/Burrows, again it just seems that they are so tenacious, that I think they could out score the good lines they would be put up against. Bob Gainey from the day kinda did that, at one point he was thought of as being one of the best players in the world, and he was a defensive hockey player, shut down man extrordinaire! And I hated Montreal, but he was good! And That is basically what kind of players the kesler line would be X3. It would be interesting to see them shut down Toews or Kane's lines etc. And I still think they would get some goals......more than their opponents......isn't that where kesler shined earlier in his carreer? Burrows somewhat the same. Hansen ditto! I think they would be exciting to watch.

The 4th line could be devestating and could handle lines like Lucic, Clowe and Thorton type lines. Maybe not win every fight, but could easily play the physical aspect with them straight up. If that was all they did was answer their aggression and intimidation, by pushing back, they would be effective. And by all accounts could chip in the odd goal like Thorton does..........

Third line still is a quandary?( Spelling ) We have Booth, Higgins, Raymond, Kassian, and Schroeder, and any trade or pick up that MG picks up at the deadline.

As for a hate on with Higgins, I don't think anyone has one. Descent player, just like Raymond, just could be expendable for trades, and we need a 2/3 center that can play wing also, atleast more than we need all those one dementional, only play one position, wingers.

But until Jensen comes through, I know it is only Pie in the sky! But, if he comes here and scores goals, he ain't leaving! LOL

I think Jensen would actually compliment Kesler better than Booth or Raymond would.

Jensen gets alot of his goals standing in front of the net shoveling in rebounds. And since Kesler is a shoot first player, it would be good to have someone parked in front ready to pot in those rebounds.

Could be a good fit. Of course he'll need some time in the AHL first though.

Archived