The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Get Something Straight about Luongo and Gillis

First of all, I am a massive Luongo fan and would prefer that we move Schneider- I have always felt this way.

Luongo is far better than Schneider was at the age of 26.

What I really want to state is something we all heard about but seem to selectively forget.

Luongo nixed several trades that Gillis had set up.

At the draft Gillis and Burke had a trade in place for Luongo, it did reportedly involve a variation on Luke Schenn (R. handed D man), Kadri (centre) and a 2nd. ( Wait a minute- aren't these boards demanding Gillis goes out and get a big R handed D man, a centre and more picks for this draft???)

Gillis presented Luongo with the trade and he said no. Luongo wanted to know if Florida was till an option. Gillis could have lied to Luongo and said no, but he said that he is in discussions with Florida but that they had not come close to making a good offer.

In and around this time, Luongo also nixed a trade to Columbus. How sweet would it have been to get Nash? or a CNJ first or Johansen??? (just speculating)

Shortly after this Luongo's brother took to twitter making fun of Mike Gillis stating "at least Howard was offered a trade to a team on his list" of teams he was willing to go to.

How would you feel is you were Gillis? Trying to move an all star player is pressure enough, getting made fun of by the dude's brother who does not understand GMing is kind of awkward...

Both of these nixed trades werereported by the guys at the province and were discussed at length throughout the summer-not sure why we choose to forget these details

My main point

Why is Gillis holding this team hostage over a franchise player who has an NTC?

Luongo feels bad about what happened in him nixing the trade, but that was his right and he is an allstar and should have his contract respected. Luongo is partly culpable because he has overtly told the media he will "do what is best for the team," yet he has nixed 2 and possibly more trades- so he has lied to the media and fans in a way as well.

Gillis needs to move on and trade schneider now. Having a stud asset on the bench each night is obviously not helping us.

Schneider has not demonstrated that he is by far better than Luongo-infact schneider showed that he is also capable of losing in a shootout and getting ventilated for 7 goals in an important game- determing who is better is splitting hairs. Who is more valuable as a moveable asset?-schneider- Gillis needs to wake up and start creating a schneider bidding war.

Whether those rumors are true or not, Luongo can choose where he wants to be traded to.

If Gillis doesn't like that, he shouldn't have locked him up in the first place.

Also, there's no real reason to rush this trade right now.

As soon as a team (that needs a difference maker) accepts the reality that they may not make the playoffs, they will inquire about one of our goaltenders and most likely overpay.

The goaltender trade will either happen closer to the deadline or in the off season.

Yes we could get more for Schneider. But lately I really don't trust Gillis's judgement when it comes to making trades. Lou we be in demand soon. Florida, Tampa and Columbus will be under immense pressure to upgrade their goaltending after this season.

IF what you say is true about Lu and his "nixing" of deals that have put the team in this position and then going public with the "I'll do what's best for the team" PR stunt, what makes you think Gillis wants to keep him?

While Lu had every right to do what you say he did, it would certainly have been self-serving of him to do that considering his public comments and would in no way have endeared him to Mr GIllis.

IF (big IF) you are right, you are saying that LU is basically forcing GIllis to trade Cory, the asset he wants to keep.

Great for their long-term relationship.

The big question is why did Gillis circumvent the cap and sign Luongo to a bogus 12-year deal with a NTC, while knowing full well that we had a young stud goalie already in our system. This GM foolishness sets us up for the goalie conflict which we have today.

Luongo should not have to waive his NTC and move to Toronto or Columbus if he doesn't want to.

Gillis should stop handing out NTC's like hot cakes. Gillis is the problem (not AV, not Luongo, not Schneider)!

Yes we could get more for Schneider. But lately I really don't trust Gillis's judgement when it comes to making trades. Lou we be in demand soon. Florida, Tampa and Columbus will be under immense pressure to upgrade their goaltending after this season.

The big question is why did Gillis circumvent the cap and sign Luongo to a bogus 12-year deal with a NTC, while knowing full well that we had a young stud goalie already in our system. This GM foolishness sets us up for the goalie conflict which we have today.

Luongo should not have to waive his NTC and move to Toronto or Columbus if he doesn't want to.

Gillis should stop handing out NTC's like hot cakes. Gillis is the problem (not AV, not Luongo, not Schneider)!

Since when were the Canucks offered Schenn Kadri and a second? Thats news to me..... I thought it was Schenn for Lou straight up, with Gillis also wanting the 5th overall and Burke saying no.

I don't know where your getting this about Lou nixing a trade, but if he did damn... that would have been a solid return.

Archived