66 replies to this topic

#61 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Unfortunately, our system is flop on the ice and draw a penalty. then score with a.....potient PP. We've all seen this strategy go horribly wrong in the play-offs, but work in the regular season. Nucks need to learn to win 5 on 5 and my belief is that starts with spreading the scoring out a bit and rolling 4 lines.

I agree and you're right, it works during the regular season because the chances are much better that you will draw a penalty with a dive than you will get a penalty for embellishing or diving, especially on one of those nights when there are 15 games going on in the NHL and your game is being reffed by a tyro. If you have a dominant PP then you take those odds and run with them and you will have considerable success... during the regular season. The problem, as you state correctly, is that once you get down to the nitty gritty of the late stages of the playoffs you are dealing with the very best refs who have the book on your team and who aren't going to fall for a bunch of crapola. Game 6 of the SCF was a prime example; I swear I counted at least a dozen dives by Burrows alone in that game and the refs kept their whistles in their pockets while the Bruins took advantage of the fact that far too many of our players were taking themselves out of the play by diving. It is a bad strategy in the long run and it creates a malaise in your team that is 100% destructive. I myself blame GMMG for this disturbing trend, after all why did we pick up Lapierre (as an example) when nobody else in the NHL wanted him?

Edited by thema, 03 March 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#62 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

I don't know our system.
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#63 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

LA's "system" in last year's playoffs was to have their team gel at the right time, have their starting goalie play very well (perhaps over his head), have their team check the other team into the ice, be very physical, and also be very big.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#64 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Our system is a lot of dump-and-chase hockey with tons of cycling along the boards and have very aggressive offensive, defencemen who pinch to keep the puck in down low.

LA's system was to just be very aggressive on the forecheck with every line (we don't have that luxery with some of our softer players) and to drive to the net constantly from all angles. The D wasn't as involved but a lot more one timers are taken and the pace is much faster because of this

That's how I see the systems, at a quick glance anyways
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#65 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

We rely on puck possession.

#66 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

We rely on puck possession.

it's too bad our bottom six can't posses the puck enough to get something going. Too often the stick handle the puck right onto the other teams stick.
Posted Image

#67 puckinaround

puckinaround

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

Okay, so what is it about our system that people hate. Thats what Im asking. IMO every good team has a good system and a coach to implement it. But what are we doing that is wrong.

What if you traded our entire team for Pittsburgs team. Would our record be the same. What is it about our system that makes us better or worse?

Isn't it just the players that cause us to win, or is it the coach and his system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.