• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

what do yo mean "by where he is?"
you mean a GM?
well look at Mike Milbury...
Craig Patrick...
MG already showed he is capable of making stupid moves...Coho trade.

or do you mean only smart people get good jobs and selecting someone for a job is only about how intelligent they areat ...look George Bush Jr...
so what are you talking about???
Gillis also just called Feaster a great GM- anyone who does that loses credibility.

And you base this on what exactly? Your opinion? Fool.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

#32 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the video.

The one telling part of the interview for me was ( I'm not quoting word for word) where he said " you don't want to give anyone up"

That to me is why MG finds it so hard to do a deal. As I said before he looks on the team almost like his family, which is good in many respects but makes it difficult to do any "big" trades.

He is still my ideal as a GM but I just feel he will have to become slightly more ruthless and focussed if he is to make this "present" team SC winners.
Kevin.jpg

#33 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

IMO Gillis should use a bit more baby powder to keep the sheen down on his skin.. maybe best to stay away from eating a jar full of habanjeros before he goes on the air too :)

#34 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

you mean a GM?
Craig Patrick...

or do you mean only smart people get good jobs and selecting someone for a job is only about how intelligent they are...look at George Bush Jr...
Gillis also just called Feaster a great GM- anyone who does that loses credibility.

Yes, but all of these guys are american working for american teams and The American Team. And that's a whole different story.

Good interview. Gillis kept his cool and had good and clear answers to tough questions. And looked like he is in control of his team and knows what's good for it. Hope he's right too.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#35 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

if he actually had a trade he was happy with for Luongo, then taking back some cap would actually be a no brainer.

Like if Florida offered
Weiss, Petrovic, 2013 1st, as long as you take upshall, Gillis would be an idiot not to take that...

Am sure Weiss would solve the team's weaknesses just like Booth, Ballard, Garrison etc.

Posted Image

#36 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

you mean a GM?
Craig Patrick...

or do you mean only smart people get good jobs and selecting someone for a job is only about how intelligent they are...look at George Bush Jr...

Actually he called him a really good GM with lots of experience. You do realize that Jay Feaster is a Calder cup and Stanley cup-winning GM right?

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#37 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

He's dreaming if he thinks it better to have two high paid goalie's and not using that money where they need it instead. On the ice and not sitting on the bench. This team is looking at another early playoff exit with his leadership.

But its better to trade one of our goalies for a bag of pucks? Yeah, I bet Weiss will win us the cup :picard:

Posted Image

#38 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaaBkNGnWGE

Me thinks Gillis won that award on the back of Luo,which is why what Gillis allowed to have happen last year to Luo makes this award and reward even more of a comical farce.

Edited by nuck nit, 03 March 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#39 Toffee

Toffee

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Oh man to hear that Manny will never play in a Vancouver Canucks uniform again...that's cold.

Posted Image

#40 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

The one telling part of the interview for me was ( I'm not quoting word for word) where he said " you don't want to give anyone up"
That to me is why MG finds it so hard to do a deal. As I said before he looks on the team almost like his family, which is good in many respects but makes it difficult to do any "big" trades.

To me,that means he can't trade,even though he created the division within his own players and conditions to upset his players in doing so.
He took his team through a roller coaster media ride for nine months and cares less.
Gary Roberts and Mikael Samuelsson are not a happy part of the Gillis family legacy notion.

Edited by nuck nit, 03 March 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#41 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

And you base this on what exactly? Your opinion? Fool.

I wonder how many children's parents in Iraq and elsewhere that died suffering think highly of George?
Estimates of one million children under the age of 5 suffered to their deaths under the US embargo on Iraq that preceded the war on Iraq.Estimates well over a million deaths are recorded as having been caused by George Bush Jr.'s decision to take out Iraq for oil and the US dollar world fiat supremacy.Anybody that supports genocide is a fool.

#42 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

except, none of us have the CDF to do his job....two president's trophies, game 7 of SCF and good moves to date.....not always exciting hockey but guys giving their all for the team...parity makes it hard to go on chicago type runs...
gillis is always looking to improve the team but he won't make a bad trade.....let's see gillis or cdc'ers? hmmm.

And thanks to the fans that pay the high prices he's able to spend to the cap and fill the roster with a lot of good players. Not all GM's can do that.

I wish I had a minus to give you.

I wouldn't say he whined. He stated reality. The hard reality is the Vancouver media and our fan base are the most bipolar group in the league.

If he hates dealing with the media that much why is amongst the most accessible in the league??? Do you remember how Burke would go off on the media including trying to get a couple fired or their media credentials pulled?

He's very often got a sour mood in interviews and complains a lot in them. Several times I've heard hosts joking before interviews about him not liking it. If he doesn't like all the attention and money that comes from a hockey mad market he should have waited to get a job in Florida or Phoenix.

#43 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

To me,that means he can't trade,even though he created the division within his own players and conditions to upset his players in doing so.
He took his team through a roller coaster media ride for nine months and cares less.
Gary Roberts and Mikael Samuelsson are not a happy part of the Gillis family legacy notion.

Just so you know, Gary Roberts and Mike Gillis are good friends. One client didn't work out between the two of them but that's as far as it goes.

#44 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

I wonder how many children's parents in Iraq and elsewhere that died suffering think highly of George?
Estimates of one million children under the age of 5 suffered to their deaths under the US embargo on Iraq that preceded the war on Iraq.Estimates well over a million deaths are recorded as having been caused by George Bush Jr.'s decision to take out Iraq for oil and the US dollar world fiat supremacy.Anybody that supports genocide is a fool.

You should stick to posting about this topic. It's in your wheelhouse. You earned your first +1 from me.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#45 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

Bottom line on Gillis. There isn't one impact scoring forward on the Canucks that he has brought in. Not one! Higgins is the closest and that is sad.

#46 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

Bottom line on Gillis. There isn't one impact scoring forward on the Canucks that he has brought in. Not one! Higgins is the closest and that is sad.

I don't think he "gets" trading at all. That is why he constantly goes for "bargain basement, project, rehab types." He has never brought a player here in the last 3 years who other teams would fight over. How many GM's have that on their CV?

For me he doesn't realise that building a SC winning team is like playing chess, the more moves ahead you can think the better. He is not, as I've said pro-active and so he just waits for situations to hit him in the face and then he reacts. Often badly.

Sammy's injury, Sturm blowing out completely (jeez what were his scouts thinking there?) Erhoff, Hodgson, Luongo, Manny, Volpatti.

He says his philosophy is "don't sweat the small things." Well frankly that is all he ever seems to do, sweat the small things. He thinks "SMALL" and doesn't seem to have any imagination or confidence in building a trade.

Trading is also often about what your scouts see that the other guys scouts don't. Here lies one of MG's biggest problems for me. I think his scouts suck. I also think he has lost confidence in them.........and who wouldn't after some of the shockers we have had. If he wants to keep his job maybe he should start looking for some new ones.

Gillis whole philosophy here seems flawed. The Vancouver fans are at the stage where they honestly couldn't give a damn about the PT or entertainment. They would imo have swapped it all for a run like LA had last year and it's time he realised it.
Kevin.jpg

#47 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

Well, Ehrhoff fell in and out of his lap,which tells us a lot.
I agree,Bodee.

#48 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

You should stick to posting about this topic. It's in your wheelhouse. You earned your first +1 from me.

This is just a side distraction when not addressing world geopolitical issues.

Edited by nuck nit, 04 March 2013 - 04:20 AM.

#49 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

Just so you know, Gary Roberts and Mike Gillis are good friends. One client didn't work out between the two of them but that's as far as it goes.

Be that as it may,one would think Gary would not call out his good friend Mike in public with the "moron" quote:

"I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis," Roberts told BuffaloNews.com. "I know he's on vacation, and I said, 'Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?' He said, 'Gary, I've dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I'm just going to take the high road.'
"For me, I'd like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, 'You're a moron.’ "
http://www.sportsnet...on_mike_gillis/

#50 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

And then we can always revisit the disaster where Gillis shipped out the only sniper this team had.

#51 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Yes certainly we have a player for the future!

As for the here and now; we have what I would prefer to call an incomplete trade. We desperately needed a RW (even more a big one), but we lost a valuable centre. You can argue CoHo would have played behind Hank/Kess. Well currently Kassian is playing behind Hansen and Burrows. Kass looked promising when with the Twins; but he is not mature enough to drive a line by himself. I call it incomplete, because on a 3rd line without a centre like, ahem, CoHo, Kassian himself is not really helping us.

Rob from Peter to pay Paul! With all of Kesler's injuries CoHo would very likely have been more valuable.

If we wish to call this trade a success, the Nucks have to either get a centre who Kassian can work off, or give him time with the Twins (and make successful use of Burrows elsewhere). I'm not calling the trade a failure. But we have not made it work, yet!

I don't think the Coho trade was a bad one given the situation. He managed to address team needs and we have a great player for the future. The only reason it looks bad is with the Kesler and Maholtra issues.

What would you expect him to say about Feaster? You don't throw other GM's under the bus and then expect to keep solid working relationships around the league. I agree with you on Feaster but what benefit would there be to Gillis to point this out?

#52 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Gillis is a steady, thoughtful person.
If he adhered to the many suggestions posted on CDC, most of this team would be traded for plugs, fired, or sent to languish in the minors. I'm glad to hear him taking the long view.
5 years, 2 President's Trophies, 4 NW division Titles, 4 playoff appearances (won 5 series, lost 4), Got to SCF game 7.

Gillis is right, we have a lot to be happy about as fans.
He is icing a competitive, entertaining, and talented team every year.

As a footnote, I wasn't a fan of the Hodgson trade, but the jury is still out on that one. I don't think it's akin to the Cam Neeley trade in scope and caliber though. But I can live with not liking every move MG makes.

If Gillis was replaced by the opinion of CDC, the Canucks would implode in seconds.
lZqI3g.gif

#53 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Be that as it may,one would think Gary would not call out his good friend Mike in public with the "moron" quote:

"I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis," Roberts told BuffaloNews.com. "I know he's on vacation, and I said, 'Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?' He said, 'Gary, I've dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I'm just going to take the high road.'
"For me, I'd like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, 'You're a moron.’ "
http://www.sportsnet...on_mike_gillis/

Gary Roberts apologized and said he was taken on out context by the media.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#54 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

And then we can always revisit the disaster where Gillis shipped out the only sniper this team had.

Would it have mattered because even if Hodgson was here, AV would have had his butt stapled to the bench anyway

Hodgson is not good defensively. From seeing how AV coaches, to get ice time, you first need to be solid defensively

Edited by CanucksJay, 04 March 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#55 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Let's just say calling someone a moron in public is pretty hard to take out of context! B)

Roberts should have stopped with that apology.

Gary Roberts apologized and said he was taken on out context by the media.

#56 the grinder

the grinder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

erhoff wanted a 10 year contract thank god gillis didnt sign him to a contract, 4 to 5 years for sure not ten years , so buffalo signed him to a stupid contract , and now they are stuck with him for 10 years , people are complaining about lou contract , it is the same type of deal , hodgson wanted out good ridance traded his ass for kassian , sure cody can score but his plus minus is horrible and cody is playing on the top line if kassian was with the twins for the same amount time points would prolly be similar , well next year will be the tell tale sign of how good or bad gm mike gillis is

#57 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

This is just a side distraction when not addressing world geopolitical issues.

In what regard? On other forums, or in a professional respect? To what degree do you address world geopolitical issues?

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.