81 replies to this topic

#1 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

AV justifies sitting Ballard due to some bad turnovers in his last game played. This makes no sense at all. Ballard has been one of our better D men all season and one bad game he hits the press box.

Edler has been by far worse in his own end this season than Ballard. Why not sit him? AV's ridiculous bias towards and against some players needs to stop. Ballard should have the opportunity to bounce back after 1 bad game, just as Edler is getting the opportunity to bounce back after a handful of dreadful, mistake ridden games to start his season.

Obviously i know Edler will not see th press box I'm just saying this to make a point.
Posted Image

#2 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

POPULAR

Fail thread.

AV sat Ballard because he is under 6' and we are getting manhandled by the larger LA so we pull our smallest D man and replace him with a larger D man.

We won.

AV smarter then you.

#3 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

That's not a bad idea actually.

It would also be good to rest him for a few, maybe near the end of the season so he's rested for the playoffs.

EDIT:

Kassians Face:

I find it hard to take you seriously with the avatar that you have.

Edited by -Trapped In CDC-, 03 March 2013 - 10:19 AM.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#4 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Fail thread.

AV sat Ballard because he is under 6' and we are getting manhandled by the larger LA so we pull our smallest D man and replace him with a larger D man.

We won.

AV smarter then you.

Typical short sighted game by game Canucks fan reaction. Big picture here friend.
Posted Image

#5 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Typical short sighted game by game Canucks fan reaction. Big picture here friend.

Yeah big picture = how to beat bigger teams in the playoffs = we tried an experiment = it worked = WTF are you smoking.

#6 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Yeah big picture = how to beat bigger teams in the playoffs = we tried an experiment = it worked = WTF are you smoking.

Dp

Edited by -Trapped In CDC-, 03 March 2013 - 10:30 AM.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

#7 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

We probably would have won if Ballard was in the lineup though.

I didn't notice Alberts all that much except for the penalty (don't think that was a penalty) and the mistake with Schneids.

#8 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

We probably would have won if Ballard was in the lineup though.

I didn't notice Alberts all that much except for the penalty (don't think that was a penalty) and the mistake with Schneids.

Exactly. Buddy missed my point completely. Not about Alberts going in. More about AV and his decision making and biases. Why do other players get opportunities to play though slumps when Ballard doesn't. 1 bad game. We have seen this before, not just with Ballard.
Posted Image

#9 TrogBurr24

TrogBurr24

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

You Don't ever sit Edler, is why. Yeah his defensive game, well more so just dumb turnovers, are annoying. Yet he does so many other good things when he is out there. there is a reason he Leads are D in points every year, and its not the Sedins(doesn't hurt). He is not on top of his game, but when he is, you would be a fool not to realize he is our Best D man. Hammer may be more consistent. but Edler has another level to his game, he just needs to find it or get it back if you will.

#10 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

We won so AV > U

Stop failing.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#11 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Exactly. Buddy missed my point completely. Not about Alberts going in. More about AV and his decision making and biases. Why do other players get opportunities to play though slumps when Ballard doesn't. 1 bad game. We have seen this before, not just with Ballard.

No, he understood your point. AV put Alberts in to bring more size to the lineup, which equals "the best chance to win" when facing a bigger LA team on a roll. There is no "bias", Ballard will most likely be slotted back in
tonight.

Edited by Tystick, 03 March 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Posted Image

#12 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

I thought Alberts played well and was physical.

Ballards 1 point in 19 games isnt going to cut it.... regardless of how great some people think he played.

If Ballard isnt bought out or traded this season, Gillis will have failed.

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

#13 Magnum P I

Magnum P I

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Not impressed with Edler at all this year. Brutal
Posted Image

#14 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Fail thread.

We won.

AV smarter then you.

Good to see a sensible comment on Ballard. For some reason a lot of people on CDC have fallen in love with Ballard.

Ballard has been better this season than in the last two, but he has only one point in 19 games and his plus/minus is an even 0 despite playing on the third pairing and not spending much time against the other team's top players.

He is below average size for a D and does not add much in the way of team toughness. And he is one of the L-hand Ds who struggles if asked to play the right side, which limits his effectiveness. Also, of the six regular Ds he has the fewest blocked shots.

Bottom line: he is #6 on depth chart and when the Canucks play a big team like LA the extra size and strength and physicality of Alberts makes him the better choice.

I have nothing against Ballard, but with a cap hit of over 4 million he is very poor value.

Edited by JamesB, 03 March 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#15 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,838 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

How many points does Edler have? And how many for Ballard? If they're both causing turnovers, but one is still providing offence, which would you choose to sit?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#16 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Just because we won, doesn't justify the means. I feel bad for Ballard as he has been one of our more consistent defenseman this year. Edler on the other hand has been sporadic. He's had great games but plenty of awful games. To make it worse for Ballard is that Alberts was the cause of both L.A. goals. I know A.V. wanted to be bigger but still, Ballard deserves to play either way. Edler on the other hand needs to look at his game and re adjust.

#17 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,838 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Good to see a sensible comment on Ballard. For some reason a lot of people on CDC have fallen in love with Ballard.

Ballard has been better this season than in the last two, but he has only one point in 19 games and his plus/minus is an even 0 despite playing on the third pairing and not spending much time against the other team's top players.

He is below average size for a D and does not add much in the way of team toughness. And he is one of the L-hand Ds who struggles if asked to play the right side, which limits his effectiveness. Also, of the six regular Ds he has the fewest blocked shots.

Bottom line: he is #6 on depth chart and when the Canucks play a big team like LA the extra size and strength and physicality of Alberts makes him the better choice.

I have nothing against Ballard, but with a cap hit of over 4 million he is very poor value.

Fans on here are a fickle bunch. Ballard has played well, probably the best he's been over a prolonged period here, but he still isn't producing offensively despite good possession numbers. 20-30 points like he used to do would make that $4.2M a lot better, but when he's struggling to get 10 in a season it's not so great. He's still our first option to reduce cap going into next season (aside from a goalie trade).

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#18 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Not impressed with Edler at all this year. Brutal

He is struggling defensively but he has so much more offensive upside that you can't take him out of the lineup.
Posted Image

#19 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Fail thread.

We won.

AV smarter then you.

Yeah Edler was so useful yesterday. On the ice for the first LA goal, just watching the puck. Sit Edler for sure.
Posted Image

#20 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Just because we won, doesn't justify the means. I feel bad for Ballard as he has been one of our more consistent defenseman this year. Edler on the other hand has been sporadic. He's had great games but plenty of awful games. To make it worse for Ballard is that Alberts was the cause of both L.A. goals. I know A.V. wanted to be bigger but still, Ballard deserves to play either way. Edler on the other hand needs to look at his game and re adjust.

How was Alberts the cause of the 2nd goal? That one hangs on Schneider. When playing the puck it is his job to read the forecheck and play the puck accordingly. He hesitated and tried to make a short pass to Alberts that had a checker on him immediately. He should have ringed the puck past Alberts and up the wall or reversed it to the other corner. That goal is 100% on Schneider. (other than a couple of puck issues Schneider was good).
Posted Image

#21 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

I say all d-men should sit from time to time. Especially once we clinch a playoff spot. Give them rest and we can get Alberts a few more games...which will help him if he has to suit up in the playoffs.

As for last night, I see why Alberts was in, and although I wasn't a big fan of the decision, I thought it payed off. He played well last night and played strong in front of the net imo.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#22 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Ballard was good vs LA in the playoffs, doesn't make sense to think he couldn't handle size.

#23 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Alberts used his size and threw it around. IMO, the best game I have seen from Alberts.

Edler on the other hand was making weak outlet passes, lacking physicality and was once again caught out of position. He was on the ice for the first LA goal. A liability. As long as he scores once in a while, the Edler appreciation society will come to his defense and completely excuse his poor defensive skills.

But he is a defenseman, right? He should be consistent in his role as one.

Edler should be sat in favor of Barker or Vandermeer for at least one game, to see how his absence affects the teams performance, if at all.

Go ahead flame away, people of the republic of Edler. Make me laugh.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 03 March 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Posted Image

#24 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Ballard was good vs LA in the playoffs, doesn't make sense to think he couldn't handle size.

You are 100% correct. Ballard is better at handling larger opponents than any other dman except for Alberts (and perhaps Garrison). The only fail in this thread are from the tools who obviously have short memories.
Posted Image

#25 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,471 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Edler has scored more goals this season alone than Ballard has his entire time as a Canuck and is 15th among the leagues d-men in points. Being a 40+ point big minutes d-man playing against the leagues best buys you some slack in the NHL. A bottom pair d-man who doesn't produce and plays the oppositions lesser talent won't get the same slack.

Edler does need to be better. But if I need to take a d-man out to add size, it's not going to be my top offensive d-man that's sitting out.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#26 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

You Don't ever sit Edler, is why. Yeah his defensive game, well more so just dumb turnovers, are annoying. Yet he does so many other good things when he is out there. there is a reason he Leads are D in points every year, and its not the Sedins(doesn't hurt). He is not on top of his game, but when he is, you would be a fool not to realize he is our Best D man. Hammer may be more consistent. but Edler has another level to his game, he just needs to find it or get it back if you will.

He leads the team in PP points among D's because when Kesler is healthy he is the only D on the first unit, and the first unit takes up 75% of the PP - he'd have to be terrible not too.

#27 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,471 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Alberts used his size and threw it around. IMO, the best game I have seen from Alberts.

Edler on the other hand was making weak outlet passes, lacking physicality and was once again caught out of position. He was on the ice for the first LA goal. A liability. As long as he scores once in a while, the Edler appreciation society will come to his defense and completely excuse his poor defensive skills.

But he is a defenseman, right? He should be consistent in his role as one.

Edler should be sat in favor of Barker or Vandermeer for at least one game, to see how his absence affects the teams performance, if at all.

Go ahead flame away, people of the republic of Edler. Make me laugh.

You'll make a great EA GM.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#28 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Correlation =/= Causation.

#29 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Ballard and Tanev were our best pairing during the LA playoffs.... He's one of the few ones that knows how to deal with big physical guys in front of our net, so I don't know what some people are thinking....

I don't get why some people are using points as a reason to not play Ballard, he has the least TOI next to Tanev for our 6D

Edited by DreamHerO, 03 March 2013 - 12:03 PM.

Posted Image

#30 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

How many points does Edler have? And how many for Ballard? If they're both causing turnovers, but one is still providing offence, which would you choose to sit?

Very true...Edler and Ballard have proven to be defensive liabilities at times...both with high regularity in the previous six games. However, Edler brings offensive elements that Ballard doesn't (Ballard used to have these, but this part of his game has gone AWOL since coming to the Canucks). As well, against a team like the Kings, you need the guys with the long reach in our end to shut down their lanes (perfect example was Tanev reaching in to disrupt a shot in the third). This is an unfortunate physical deficiency in Ballard's game.

I wouldn't mind seeing Edler benched or press boxed for a game or two because I think he needs to see the game from up top so that he can start thinking better on the ice...it looks like he's lost a step from his back injury and he needs to be more cerebral to make up for it.

When we were on a roll, I was against taking Ballard out of the line up (mainly because of what he was contributing); but when the team goes through mini-slumps, it makes sense to make line up changes. Like it or not, Ballard is our number 6 d-man (nice luxury, and it's debatable whether he's played like our no. 6 guy), so when the time comes to insert Alberts or Barker, Ballard is the odd man out.

Alberts played well in Bieksa's spot, and he's actually pretty effective on the right side of the ice (this is not saying he plays the right side...it's saying that when he's pushed to the right side of the ice, he plays that part of the ice pretty well) and I thought he played very well last night vs. the Kings. Depending on our opposition, an angry Alberts gives us the physical edge in our zone which complements the physical edge Sestito gives us and makes us tougher to play against.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.