The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why not sit Edler?

MLT

My point is edler is doing good for not being a first round draft pick. If he was a first round draft pick n he was struggling offensively and defensively and getting paid this much, than I would be saying the same thing, bench him.

As for tanev, Same story, he's good signing and is doing good in the role hes bekng utilized in. If he was moved up at permanent first pair d and struggles. I'm not going say scratch him either. He's a college pick its already a huge bonus he's in the NHL team and contributing. We shouldn't have the expectations he developes a huge offensive game and be on first d pairing. If he does good, awesome. And the team didnt have give up any players or drafts to get either of the guys. No player is perfect they going to have flaws and need to work on it. As long as they provide something to the goal of a team. They should be in the lineup. But if a scratched player will provide the same or soemthing better that will help the team wins. Than yes scratch any if the 6 d man for that player

Edler has 5 even strength points this season to Ballard's 1.......considering Ballard gets no PP time at all and no opportunity to play an offensive role while Edler gets tons of PP time and offensive time playing with the Sedins and the 2nd line, I would say that is not too bad actually.

Funny thing is, I never once said they should bench Edler. I think its a bad idea. They just have to figure out how to get more outta him and eliminate those brain-fart mistakes or at least limit them. Accepting mediocre from Edler is unacceptable. He has size, a shot and decent skating for a big guy. Too many tools to under perform.

the fan base here on this site is bias to only positive comments... truth is why not sit edler just as the op puts it...edler just stands around lately not tieing up any sticks in front of the net not bodychecking anyone he should sit ... better yet watch the black hawks and detroit play today... take note how to man to man coverage and tie up sticks defend better...

Ah, no. Rochester Institute of Technology, which plays in the Atlantic Hockey Association, Division 1 NCAA. The debate about where a player is drafted (or not drafted, as in Tanev's case) is irrelevant once these guys get to the NHL. There are so many examples of first rounders who had the amateur pedigree but failed to make it in the big show and vice versa (i.e., mid, late free agents making it in the NHL).

Lets face it, both Edler and Tanev have their limitations at this time...Edler seems to have the physical tools, but he seems to have lost a step with his back injury, and he seems prone to mental lapses...Tanev seems to have all the smarts and may have the best pivot move while defending, but physically, he lacks an NHL shot and strength. Both have a ton of potential but also have a bunch of stuff to work on...both are young, so lets allow them to develop for another year or two.

I see that you have only been here since January, so I will be understanding as to how wrong you are with the (bolded) remark. CDC is well known for the negativity and slogging of Canuck players. Just skim through some of the topics and you will see that the only players that haven't been trampled on are: Sedins (but are considered 'soft'), Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Tanev and uh...uhm...hmmm...oh, that would be it.

Edler has probably received the most criticism on the team. The right side experiment has failed, but he has still managed to put up the points. Keep him on the left and let him focus on his game. Edler can put up points, play physical and be good defensively. That is what I expect of him by the time the playoffs roll around.

Yes I never said Ballard is doing bad. But you just assuming if he plays the PP than he's going to get points. He was provided that oppurtinty before and it didn't work out. Same as Garrison. So basically your saying anyone who plays in PP will rack up alot points? I think if given the oppurtinty you need to earn your stay on the PP like burrows has done.

I guess that would depend on what you think is an "opportunity".

He has had exactly 29 minutes and 51 seconds of PP time in his entire tenure in Vancouver.....almost two and a half years.

Garrison has had almost double that this season alone.

Ballard had 28 points his last year in Florida including 9 on the 2nd PP unit and 19 even strength points. Is it reasonable to assume that in an offensive role with PP time he would put up at least some of those numbers in Van? Yes, I would think so.

Yea. Let's scratch Edler to teach him a lesson. That will make the team better. No other way to communicate anyway, he's Swedish. This way we get more ice time for Alberts/Barker too. Those guys have some real untapped potential.

Wtf world do you people live in?

Ballard and Tanev were our best pairing during the LA playoffs.... He's one of the few ones that knows how to deal with big physical guys in front of our net, so I don't know what some people are thinking....

I don't get why some people are using points as a reason to not play Ballard, he has the least TOI next to Tanev for our 6D

Lol Kings won the cup And Cancuks didn't. There's a reason for that when did I say defense is perfect. I was comparing stats between players I never said defense doing good this year. In fact they have been horrible in alot games. And stop comparing stanly cup winners to canucks. Lol I wish they were in the same playing level as them at that time they won the cup

-1 for you

I guess that would depend on what you think is an "opportunity".

He has had exactly 29 minutes and 51 seconds of PP time in his entire tenure in Vancouver.....almost two and a half years.

Garrison has had almost double that this season alone.

Ballard had 28 points his last year in Florida including 9 on the 2nd PP unit and 19 even strength points. Is it reasonable to assume that in an offensive role with PP time he would put up at least some of those numbers in Van? Yes, I would think so.

I think Ballard is sitting for the .org to see how the others fare.

Keith is a team player and would not object.He is also pretty grounded and has seen it all before.

Edler was stuck with Garrison who had a hard time adjusting and then there is the fact there is no Sami Salo that he learnt from and leaned on.

Eddie is this team's most talented d man and ,although young,is 'Steady Eddie'. No other Canucks d man has his talent or cool demeanour,combined.

AV justifies sitting Ballard due to some bad turnovers in his last game played. This makes no sense at all. Ballard has been one of our better D men all season and one bad game he hits the press box.

Edler has been by far worse in his own end this season than Ballard. Why not sit him? AV's ridiculous bias towards and against some players needs to stop. Ballard should have the opportunity to bounce back after 1 bad game, just as Edler is getting the opportunity to bounce back after a handful of dreadful, mistake ridden games to start his season.

Obviously i know Edler will not see th press box I'm just saying this to make a point.

Archived