The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why not sit Edler?

MLT

I say all d-men should sit from time to time. Especially once we clinch a playoff spot. Give them rest and we can get Alberts a few more games...which will help him if he has to suit up in the playoffs.

As for last night, I see why Alberts was in, and although I wasn't a big fan of the decision, I thought it payed off. He played well last night and played strong in front of the net imo.

Alberts used his size and threw it around. IMO, the best game I have seen from Alberts.

Edler on the other hand was making weak outlet passes, lacking physicality and was once again caught out of position. He was on the ice for the first LA goal. A liability. As long as he scores once in a while, the Edler appreciation society will come to his defense and completely excuse his poor defensive skills.

But he is a defenseman, right? He should be consistent in his role as one.

Edler should be sat in favor of Barker or Vandermeer for at least one game, to see how his absence affects the teams performance, if at all.

Go ahead flame away, people of the republic of Edler. Make me laugh.

Just because we won, doesn't justify the means. I feel bad for Ballard as he has been one of our more consistent defenseman this year. Edler on the other hand has been sporadic. He's had great games but plenty of awful games. To make it worse for Ballard is that Alberts was the cause of both L.A. goals. I know A.V. wanted to be bigger but still, Ballard deserves to play either way. Edler on the other hand needs to look at his game and re adjust.

You Don't ever sit Edler, is why. Yeah his defensive game, well more so just dumb turnovers, are annoying. Yet he does so many other good things when he is out there. there is a reason he Leads are D in points every year, and its not the Sedins(doesn't hurt). He is not on top of his game, but when he is, you would be a fool not to realize he is our Best D man. Hammer may be more consistent. but Edler has another level to his game, he just needs to find it or get it back if you will.

Alberts used his size and threw it around. IMO, the best game I have seen from Alberts.

Edler on the other hand was making weak outlet passes, lacking physicality and was once again caught out of position. He was on the ice for the first LA goal. A liability. As long as he scores once in a while, the Edler appreciation society will come to his defense and completely excuse his poor defensive skills.

But he is a defenseman, right? He should be consistent in his role as one.

Edler should be sat in favor of Barker or Vandermeer for at least one game, to see how his absence affects the teams performance, if at all.

Go ahead flame away, people of the republic of Edler. Make me laugh.

Ballard and Tanev were our best pairing during the LA playoffs.... He's one of the few ones that knows how to deal with big physical guys in front of our net, so I don't know what some people are thinking....

I don't get why some people are using points as a reason to not play Ballard, he has the least TOI next to Tanev for our 6D

the fan base here on this site is bias to only positive comments... truth is why not sit edler just as the op puts it...edler just stands around lately not tieing up any sticks in front of the net not bodychecking anyone he should sit ... better yet watch the black hawks and detroit play today... take note how to man to man coverage and tie up sticks defend better...

Do you know how much points edler has compared to Ballard? Do you know their plus minus???? I'm glad you aren't the coach or GM. No disrespect but give some facts to support your statements and I won't call you crazy lol

the fan base here on this site is bias to only positive comments... truth is why not sit edler just as the op puts it...edler just stands around lately not tieing up any sticks in front of the net not bodychecking anyone he should sit ... better yet watch the black hawks and detroit play today... take note how to man to man coverage and tie up sticks defend better...

I thought Alberts played well and was physical.

Ballards 1 point in 19 games isnt going to cut it.... regardless of how great some people think he played.

If Ballard isnt bought out or traded this season, Gillis will have failed.

haha Yeah no your right what am i thinking, Edler is avg. haha how about when that was Erhoff spot and yet Edler was still putting up points. and obviously he is the one chosen to be that one d man for a reason, its not because he's not terrible. your point is terrible.

Good to see a sensible comment on Ballard. For some reason a lot of people on CDC have fallen in love with Ballard.

Ballard has been better this season than in the last two, but he has only one point in 19 games and his plus/minus is an even 0 despite playing on the third pairing and not spending much time against the other team's top players.

He is below average size for a D and does not add much in the way of team toughness. And he is one of the L-hand Ds who struggles if asked to play the right side, which limits his effectiveness. Also, of the six regular Ds he has the fewest blocked shots.

Bottom line: he is #6 on depth chart and when the Canucks play a big team like LA the extra size and strength and physicality of Alberts makes him the better choice.

I have nothing against Ballard, but with a cap hit of over 4 million he is very poor value.

^^^ this

I've been surprisingly impress with Tanev's play this far in the season. Hope he keeps it up and also hoping that Edler picks up his game soon as we are almost halfway throught the season.

Not sure where all this hate for AV comes from .... damn he is the winningest coach the Vancouver Canucks has ever had. So I think he knows what he's doing .... even if sometimes I don;t always agree with his choices, I am sure he's doing a better job than I would do or some CDC'ers think they would do.

We are ALL Canucks :towel:

GO Canucks GO

Archived