#1 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

POPULAR

Last night, Sestito's hit was a clean hockey hit.
Why is a fight necessary?
Are NHL players turning into cry babies and soft whiners like the NBA?
ln cases like last night, isn't it unfair that Sestito gets 'punished' for a clean hit?

Edited by Deadweed, 03 March 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#2 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

POPULAR

U call them cry babies and whiners for fighting? What do u call soccer players then...

U lay out a big hit clean or not, u should be prepared to fight.

WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

#3 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, clean hits shouldn't turn into players fighting, but it happens. Not to mention the game is fast. Sometime I have seen penalties and hits that look dirty in live action but in the replay they are clean. It is hard to judge when so much is happening on the ice. You know that if a Canuck got a big hit on him you'd want someone to step up for them...

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#4 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

That's the idea of not being a "soft" team. Say someone hit a Canuck player, would you want our players to just sit around? Or would you want someone to stand up and beat the $hit out of the guy who just nailed our player?
Posted Image

#5 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

U call them cry babies and whiners for fighting? What do u call soccer players then...

U lay out a big hit clean or not, u should be prepared to fight.

Cry babies because they can't accept that they were hit cleanly,
and they wanted retribution right away.
This practice sucks and disrupts the flow of the game, destroys momentum.
So skilled forwards can't lay out a clean hit anymore 'coz that means they will be fighting afterwards?
That's lame.

#6 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

That's the idea of not being a "soft" team. Say someone hit a Canuck player, would you want our players to just sit around? Or would you want someone to stand up and beat the $hit out of the guy who just nailed our player?

A clean hit is a clean hit.
Doesn't matter which player gets it.
It shouldn't warrant a fight.
Dirty hits, l have no problem with.
That hitter should pay.

#7 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Last night, Sestito's hit on Nolan was a clean hockey hit.
ln cases like last night, isn't it unfair that Sestito gets 'punished' for a clean hit?

if you watch the replay it was Sestito who went after nolan

#8 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, clean hits shouldn't turn into players fighting, but it happens. Not to mention the game is fast. Sometime I have seen penalties and hits that look dirty in live action but in the replay they are clean. It is hard to judge when so much is happening on the ice. You know that if a Canuck got a big hit on him you'd want someone to step up for them...

LAst night's hit was a good example.
Everyone knows it is a clean hit, even Nolan himself.
Probably.

#9 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,928 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Reaction...when you play a game with passion and intensity, momentum gets the better of you. I'd rather have a hard hitting game where players are "involved" than one where there is no allowance for that. It's hockey, big hits (and fights) will happen. Plus, of course the "new guy" will be tested.

Posted Image

#10 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Not sure what game you were watching, but Sestito's hit was on Colin Fraser which was promptly followed up by a fight with Nolan. Sestito didn't really give Nolan a chance to challenge him, so Sestito was expecting/looking for a fight to mark his territory.

Other than that, your point is well taken...it seems the current code of conduct in the NHL is that you have to fight after laying on a hit. Not crazy about it, but it's about sticking up for your teammates, which I'm all for.

#11 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Not sure what game you were watching, but Sestito's hit was on Colin Fraser which was promptly followed up by a fight with Nolan. Sestito didn't really give Nolan a chance to challenge him, so Sestito was expecting/looking for a fight to mark his territory.

Other than that, your point is well taken...it seems the current code of conduct in the NHL is that you have to fight after laying on a hit. Not crazy about it, but it's about sticking up for your teammates, which I'm all for.

My bad. Hit was on Fraser.

Dirty hits are okay.
But my point is the Sedins can no longer lay out a clean hit or they will have to pay for that?

Edited by Deadweed, 03 March 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#12 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Wasn't really the cleanest of hits, guy didn't really have the puck. I was surprised it wasn't called for interference. Wasn't really a dirty hit either as the puck had just passed by the guy, but it seemed a bit late. Beiksa's hit on Kopitar that was called interference was cleaner IMO (mighta been checking from behind, but wasnt interference) just seems that type of hit gets called everytime against Van

But I understand what you mean, worst case ever was Mitchell's hit on Toews. Perfectly clean hit, that led to a Canucks 2 on 0 breakaway only to be blown dead for Mitchell getting jumped

Edited by WonderTwinPowers, 03 March 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#13 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

i think valk explained it well. yes it was a clean hit. no there was not a penalty. players know the difference between a strategic hit and an attempt to hurt a player.

players need to have respect for thier opponent. the refs cant give you that. if you want to stop a bully, you have to stand up for yourself or have someone who will. otherwise get used to the abuse, because its not going to stop.

#14 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Last night, Sestito's hit was a clean hockey hit.

What are you talking about? Sestito? The goon? You're asking why he has to fight?
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#15 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

No one is ever forcing anyone to fight. If a player lays out a big clean hit and someone challenges them to a fight, they can laugh in their face if they want. No one HAS to "answer the bell" when someone is coming after them.

#16 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

No one is ever forcing anyone to fight. If a player lays out a big clean hit and someone challenges them to a fight, they can laugh in their face if they want. No one HAS to "answer the bell" when someone is coming after them.

Of course it's the hitter's prerogative,
or suffer a Duncan elbow to the head.

#17 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

This has been happening since hockey's inception. The real question is why are bleeding hearts watching hockey in the first place and expressing their ignorance of the origins of the game for everyone to see?
Posted Image

#18 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Cry babies because they can't accept that they were hit cleanly,
and they wanted retribution right away.
This practice sucks and disrupts the flow of the game, destroys momentum.
So skilled forwards can't lay out a clean hit anymore 'coz that means they will be fighting afterwards?
That's lame.

It's because the response is saying, "don't you dare think about doing that again!" You think a team wants their guys to get rocked, clean or not?

I for one don't mind it, it's something our Nuckers have been lacking in recent years. Our guys get laid out and the rest of the team sits back and says, "ouch, well it was clean!"

Screw that. You lay us out we'll do the same so keep your heads up.

This is why I am for fighting and such. It's meant as strategy, intimidation, and as a deterrent. I for one am super happy that we are getting tougher and relying on guys other than Ballard to stick up for our guys.

And besides, there's a big difference between a clean that is meant to take a guy out of the play and a clean hit that is meant to take a guy out of the game. You rarely see a retaliation for a clean hit that merely takes a guy out of the play.

Edited by Jester13, 03 March 2013 - 11:39 AM.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#19 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

It's because the response is saying, "don't you dare think about doing that again!" You think a team wants their guys to get rocked, clean or not?

^^^
In a nutshell

#20 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

This has been happening since hockey's inception. The real question is why are bleeding hearts watching hockey in the first place and expressing their ignorance of the origins of the game for everyone to see?

What?
l thought it was them vintage hockey observers who are lamenting about this trend.

#21 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Scrub on scrub, who cares. It was a mutual agreement, no one got jumped. It's their job and they both know it.

#22 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Players will defend their teammates when they deem it appropriate. They couldn't care less whether the other team or the other teams fans approve of it, their loyalty is to their own organization.

Like the other guy said this isn't new.

Edited by spliced, 03 March 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#23 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

I for one don't mind it, it's something our Nuckers have been lacking in recent years. Our guys get laid out and the rest of the team sits back and says, "ouch, well it was clean!"

Screw that. You lay us out we'll do the same so keep your heads up.

This is why I am for fighting and such. It's meant as strategy, intimidation, and as a deterrent. I for one am super happy that we are getting tougher and relying on guys other than Ballard to stick up for our guys.

And besides, there's a big difference between a clean that is meant to take a guy out of the play and a clean hit that is meant to take a guy out of the game. You rarely see a retaliation for a clean hit that merely takes a guy out of the play.

Believe me, l am likewise cool on the Sestito addition.
Good that we have him and Kassian.

I'm all for clean big hits like the one he laid out last night.
I have more issues on the fight afterwards.

#24 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Its a dominance thing. Welcome to the world of competitive sports...

#25 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Its a dominance thing. Welcome to the world of competitive sports...

probably,
skilled teams like Detroit, Chicago , Vancouver are becoming things of the past.
l guess we're stuck to the boring grinding era of the Bruins, Kings, Preds for a while eh?.

Edited by Deadweed, 03 March 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#26 bleedingbluegreen

bleedingbluegreen

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

This league is turning into a joke NHL= no hit league,you can blame it on the biggest baby in the league crysby cause the league freaked out when he was hit and had those concusion symptoms.I have a great idea for players KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!! ,Im not saying goon players just good solid clean hits would be a entertaining thing of beauty.There would be less meaningless fighting if we could go back to a solid clean hit

#27 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

This league is turning into a joke NHL= no hit league,you can blame it on the biggest baby in the league crysby cause the league freaked out when he was hit and had those concusion symptoms.I have a great idea for players KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!! ,Im not saying goon players just good solid clean hits would be a entertaining thing of beauty.There would be less meaningless fighting if we could go back to a solid clean hit

+ 1000 on that sir.

#28 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

#1 that fight was good, and the timing was good

#2 you can't speculate on penalties anymore, it's just getting ridiculous now with inconsistencies and the like.

#29 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

probably,
skilled teams like Detroit, Chicago , Vancouver are becoming things of the past.
l guess we're stuck to the boring grinding era of the Bruins, Kings, Preds for a while eh?.

Really, if you want to talk about unnecessary fighting, look no further then the NHL in every era except now. If anything all those unnecessary fights have been for the most part taken out of the game due to the instigation rule and the 'no fighting with 5 minutes' left rule. The Bruins, Kings, Preds all have skilled players and are skilled teams, the difference is their skilled players play with grit and edge and will fight if they want too. Ultimately they are the ones on the ice getting paid and will make decisions for themselves and for their team. Imo if someone smoked Henrik with a solid hit that knocked him out, I would expect someone to go after them or their captain, if it means taken a 5 minute penalty then so be it, a good clean hit isn't always available. Its all part of the sport. We tried the 'turn the other cheek' tactic with the Bruins and it didn't end very well. No offense deadwood, but you come off as a total wuss, and I was the one defending the Canucks when they took Yoga.

Edited by hsedin33, 03 March 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#30 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Well it's annoying to us fans but remember that these guys are intense and sometimes that high energy and emotion leads guys to take offense, even to a clean hit. Nobody likes to see one of their teammates get rocked and in the heat of the moment it may even look like a dirty hit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.