60 replies to this topic

#31 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

I say if a guy gives a guy a clean hard hit and the other guy retaliates then he should get 5 for fighting and 2 for unsportmanlike penalty, because really thats not being a good sport now is it. Its a rough game you got to expect to get hit and if you cant take the hit then you shouldnt be playing hockey.

Edited by Canuckfan1968, 03 March 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#32 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

This league is turning into a joke NHL= no hit league,you can blame it on the biggest baby in the league crysby cause the league freaked out when he was hit and had those concusion symptoms.I have a great idea for players KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!! ,Im not saying goon players just good solid clean hits would be a entertaining thing of beauty.There would be less meaningless fighting if we could go back to a solid clean hit

Did you really just say the 2 hits that put Crosby out longterm were clean hits?
I think I just puked a little in my mouth.
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#33 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

I say if a guy gives a guy a clean hard hit and the other guy retaliates then he should get 5 for fighting and 2 for unsportmanlike penalty, because really thats not being a good sport now is it. Its a rough game you got to expect to get hit and if you cant take the hit then you shouldnt be playing hockey.

Pretty much. Rough stuff should only be expected after a dirty hit. I am reminded of when Kesler went after Kronwall, even kesler himself regretted it as the hit was hard, but clean.

The LA game was a bad example, though, it was clear Tom was looking to dance to make a connection with our fans.

As for the Orr's and Scott's deterrent factor? It shouldn't be up to a bunch of oversized goons that can't skate to take the hitting out of hockey.

Edited by TimberWolf, 03 March 2013 - 12:43 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#34 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Eh that seems a little extreme. Just because a fight isn't right after a dirty hit doesn't mean it's not justified. Say a guy is chirping a lot, or made a dirty hit in a previous game or shift, or is taking runs at your star players. Technically they aren't doing anything illegal, but it should be acceptable to fight them. I think if you penalized fights after a clean hit you would have to penalize these situations too. So where do you draw the line?

#35 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Last night, Sestito's hit was a clean hockey hit.
Why is a fight necessary?
Are NHL players turning into cry babies and soft whiners like the NBA?
ln cases like last night, isn't it unfair that Sestito gets 'punished' for a clean hit?

You are a new fan to watching hockey? This has been going on forever, get used to it.

#36 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

That's the idea of not being a "soft" team. Say someone hit a Canuck player, would you want our players to just sit around? Or would you want someone to stand up and beat the $hit out of the guy who just nailed our player?

Yeah I agree. It should go both ways. I dont care if the hit was clean, if one of the opposing players lays out one of our guys, we need to do something.

Just standing there while the medical staff hovers over our buddy is not good enough and sends the wrong message to the other team.

I do agree though that the instigating team should get an extra 2 and perhaps a 10 minute misconduct.

Edited by CanucksJay, 03 March 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#37 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

ln cases like last night, isn't it unfair that Sestito gets 'punished' for a clean hit?

I don't have a problem with the fight, I have a problem with the assessment of penalties. If a fight is instigated by the team whose player was checked, and it is immediately after the check, an extra 2 should be assessed.

I realize the fight was essentially mutual but Sestito would not have fought if not challenged, and the challenge only occurred because of the hit. The challenge left Sestito with little option.
Sig too big.

#38 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

After that big hit and fight, the Kings werent as phyiscal against the Twins and Burrows. Doughty even backed down in a shoving match with Henrik, it's as if he felt someone was coming and that it could be Sesitito. :lol:

#39 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

You are a new fan to watching hockey? This has been going on forever, get used to it.

Define 'forever'.

Point l am trying to make is regarding clean hits.
Opposing teams regard clean hits as something that requires a fight/retribution.

Sure it's perfectly fine to react to dirty hits or even borderline hits,
but with clean hits?
You mean only the physical goony types are allowed to layout clean hits,
coz they can fight?
What about the Sedins, they can't make clean hits anymore or they'll pay for them?

#40 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Yes I don't think your obligated to fight because you dished out a good hit. But i can see the reason why. If someone laid a big body check on one of the sedins. And one of the Canucks challenged the hitter and got the upper hand. That player might think twice on targeting a sedin again. Although this isn't going to happen as Canucks don't win alot fights, especially with volaptti gone.

Edited by Gonz, 03 March 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#41 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Yes I don't think your obligated to fight because you dished out a good hit. But i can see the reason why. If someone laid a big body check on one of the sedins. And one of the Canucks challenged the hitter and got the upper hand. That player might think twice on targeting a sedin again. Although this isn't going to happen as Canucks don't win alot fights, especially with volaptti gone.

Canucks dont win fights ? Clearly you have not been watching any games ... Sestitio pretty much told Nolan whats up last night, Kass has rocked a few, Wiese as well, I mean our fighters are doing just fine.

1z6d0zl.jpg

Deadly Sig by Discord :D

#42 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Did you really just say the 2 hits that put Crosby out longterm were clean hits?
I think I just puked a little in my mouth.

Gross 😁

#43 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

That's the idea of not being a "soft" team. Say someone hit a Canuck player, would you want our players to just sit around? Or would you want someone to stand up and beat the $hit out of the guy who just nailed our player?

if it's a clean hit the repayment should be a hard clean hit on one of them. If it's dirty then all bets are off. There's a place in this game for hard hitting clean players who don't want to fight!! Edler and Ohlund for two. A guys who instigates a fight with a guy who delivered a hard clean unpenalized check should be ejected. I love the fights by the way.

#44 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Canucks dont win fights ? Clearly you have not been watching any games ... Sestitio pretty much told Nolan whats up last night, Kass has rocked a few, Wiese as well, I mean our fighters are doing just fine.

I said "don't win alot fights". And please go to Hockeyfights.com and review their bouts than you tell me their record before making unsubstantiated remarks. Such a homer, you remind me of the Boston fans and commentators. The bruins win every fight and they the least dirtiest team blah blah

Only my favourite player Rypien (RIP) was winning alot bouts and Bieska has a decent record although smalle guys not heavyweights.

PS I don't miss any games as I'm a season ticket holder but I usually prefer watching at home and I frequent Hockeyfights.com to get better view of bouts as I'm a big fan of the fighting aspect of hockey. So please, you out to lunch.

Edited by Gonz, 03 March 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#45 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Go watch the sesito fight again. He won that fight only bc he droppd the gloves quick and got in a bunch of good shots in quick. Nolan came back with his own punches at the end. It was not a total cream on Nolan, and its Nolan's own brain cramp to challenge a player and not be ready to drop his gives. If you look at sesito fight record be doesn't win all of them, and clearly your eyes aren't good if you think Weise wins alot fights.

Edited by Gonz, 03 March 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#46 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Tom delivered the hit and was looking to fight, he did not get jumped, he could have declined.
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#47 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I don't mind fights after a clean hit, would you want to see a Sedin get absolutely destroyed with no response from anyone on the team?

#48 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Define 'forever'.

Point l am trying to make is regarding clean hits.
Opposing teams regard clean hits as something that requires a fight/retribution.

Sure it's perfectly fine to react to dirty hits or even borderline hits,
but with clean hits?
You mean only the physical goony types are allowed to layout clean hits,
coz they can fight?
What about the Sedins, they can't make clean hits anymore or they'll pay for them?

When was the last time you seen a Sedin in a fight? It doesn't happen. Or Kesler? Once again not going to happen. It was a tough fourth line player... he makes a hit, then gets challenged to a fight. You are reading way too much into this.

#49 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Go watch the sesito fight again. He won that fight only bc he droppd the gloves quick and got in a bunch of good shots in quick. Nolan came back with his own punches at the end. It was not a total cream on Nolan, and its Nolan's own brain cramp to challenge a player and not be ready to drop his gives. If you look at sesito fight record be doesn't win all of them, and clearly your eyes aren't good if you think Weise wins alot fights.

I'm pretty sure Nolan only landed one punch to the ear....I was actually surprised at the outcome as Nolan is tough and recently dismantled a very intimidating Sheldon souray....Nolan needs to lose his visor first off and if you're ginna challenge someone you better get the hands up and be ready.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#50 NuckleheadFan

NuckleheadFan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

If it helps set the tone that our boys are to be respected, and have the opponents think twice before making a hit, I don't mind it then. There were liberties that LA was taking.

#51 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

I said "don't win alot fights". And please go to Hockeyfights.com and review their bouts than you tell me their record before making unsubstantiated remarks. Such a homer, you remind me of the Boston fans and commentators. The bruins win every fight and they the least dirtiest team blah blah

Only my favourite player Rypien (RIP) was winning alot bouts and Bieska has a decent record although smalle guys not heavyweights.

PS I don't miss any games as I'm a season ticket holder but I usually prefer watching at home and I frequent Hockeyfights.com to get better view of bouts as I'm a big fan of the fighting aspect of hockey. So please, you out to lunch.

If I am homer then you a hater...

1z6d0zl.jpg

Deadly Sig by Discord :D

#52 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Eh that seems a little extreme. Just because a fight isn't right after a dirty hit doesn't mean it's not justified. Say a guy is chirping a lot, or made a dirty hit in a previous game or shift, or is taking runs at your star players. Technically they aren't doing anything illegal, but it should be acceptable to fight them. I think if you penalized fights after a clean hit you would have to penalize these situations too. So where do you draw the line?

If you didnt understand me they both get 5 for fighting but because the other guy instigated it then he should get the extra IMO. And for the fellow saying charging star players well of course you want a reaction for that its expected.

#53 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Sestito didn't have to oblige Nolan, that's his choice. Seems there's a lot of doubt about what's a "clean hit" these days anyhow. So long as there's a chance for the guy to get his gloves off and he's not just getting jumped like happened to Weise in Chicago, that was cheap stuff there, or it's a heavyweight going after a guy who's not so much of a fighter, it doesn't bother me.

People who want to get rid of "staged fights" and "fights after hits" are just a stalking horse for getting rid of fighting entirely, well, that ain't gonna happen.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#54 Deadweed

Deadweed

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

When was the last time you seen a Sedin in a fight? It doesn't happen. Or Kesler? Once again not going to happen. It was a tough fourth line player... he makes a hit, then gets challenged to a fight. You are reading way too much into this.

Sedins don't fight.
But when they lay out hits, opponents just elbow them to the head in return
because 'they don't fight'.

#55 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

If I am homer then you a hater...

How I'm hater?? I told you ryp n bieska win most of their fights. But I'll leave bieska out bc I don't want him fighting much. No common sense. I remember brasheer was awesome. But hordichuck, cowen, lappiere, Weiss aren't as successful. Kassian we have wait he loses against the tougher guys so far but i dont expect kassian to fight much as the others. I wish weise would fight less bc when he loses it probably gives momentum to the other tEam. Like I said go to Hockeyfights.com and watch the fights clearly and the votes. Your just a baby thats wants To argue instead checking the facts. I'm just going by facts for their success rate, and you just talk smack. Although sesito fight is my opinion he dropped gloves quick and got bunch shots in early to win the fight. Sesito lost alot fights too in his career so we will see how he does in a nucks uniform. It's only been 1 fight and I'm hoping he does better or offseason he can tone up some that bulk and gain strength.

#56 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Sedins don't fight.
But when they lay out hits, opponents just elbow them to the head in return
because 'they don't fight'.

They get elbowed whether they hit or not... that's why you need toughness and fighters on the team for. Seriously have you just started watching hockey? Go back through the years.... Did Yzerman fight? Lemieux? Gretzky? Bossy? Lafleur? No of course not and when someone would, they would pay. Go ahead and cross check Bryan Trottier in the back of the head, he would turn around and fight back. Just stay away from Bossy... On our team it should have been the same, cheap shot Burrows all you want... but don't touch the twins. Unfortunately we have not had team toughness for a long long time and the SC finals showed how they got manhandled.

#57 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Trust me, I know lucic and he's not scared of anyone on the Canucks team. We don't have any feared fighters bc they don't win easily. And to me lucic not even a goon he's like kassian power fwd that can fight

Mr. dirtydingles the homer or d rider, prob thinks sesito got the better of Mcgratton just now. dude is out to lunch thinking weise n lap winning majority of their fights.

Edited by Gonz, 03 March 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#58 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

My rule: It's ok to do it to the other teams but it's not ok for them to do it to us.
Posted Image

#59 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,393 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I agree with the OP - it's a bull$#!t development in the NHL - a clean hit is a clean hit. If an idiot is taking reckless runs at your players, by all means, someone needs to do respond (since apparently NHL officials don't understand their role), but this prevalency to act as though a player either refrains from throwing a big hit or must answer the bell is garbage. Players who don't fight nevertheless throw hits - attempting to deter players from throwing clean hits by over-reacting every time someone gets nailed is crap, and it cheapens the game. Clean hits are part of the game - deal with it like men (not punks) and play the game, take the player's number, and drill them back if and when you get an opportunity.

Edited by oldnews, 03 March 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#60 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

I don't mind fights after a clean hit, would you want to see a Sedin get absolutely destroyed with no response from anyone on the team?

Like in the playoffs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.