The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fights after a clean hit

Deadweed

Yes I don't think your obligated to fight because you dished out a good hit. But i can see the reason why. If someone laid a big body check on one of the sedins. And one of the Canucks challenged the hitter and got the upper hand. That player might think twice on targeting a sedin again. Although this isn't going to happen as Canucks don't win alot fights, especially with volaptti gone.

Canucks dont win fights ? Clearly you have not been watching any games ... Sestitio pretty much told Nolan whats up last night, Kass has rocked a few, Wiese as well, I mean our fighters are doing just fine.

Canucks dont win fights ? Clearly you have not been watching any games ... Sestitio pretty much told Nolan whats up last night, Kass has rocked a few, Wiese as well, I mean our fighters are doing just fine.

Define 'forever'.

Point l am trying to make is regarding clean hits.

Opposing teams regard clean hits as something that requires a fight/retribution.

Sure it's perfectly fine to react to dirty hits or even borderline hits,

but with clean hits?

You mean only the physical goony types are allowed to layout clean hits,

coz they can fight?

What about the Sedins, they can't make clean hits anymore or they'll pay for them?

Go watch the sesito fight again. He won that fight only bc he droppd the gloves quick and got in a bunch of good shots in quick. Nolan came back with his own punches at the end. It was not a total cream on Nolan, and its Nolan's own brain cramp to challenge a player and not be ready to drop his gives. If you look at sesito fight record be doesn't win all of them, and clearly your eyes aren't good if you think Weise wins alot fights.

I said "don't win alot fights". And please go to Hockeyfights.com and review their bouts than you tell me their record before making unsubstantiated remarks. Such a homer, you remind me of the Boston fans and commentators. The bruins win every fight and they the least dirtiest team blah blah

Only my favourite player Rypien (RIP) was winning alot bouts and Bieska has a decent record although smalle guys not heavyweights.

PS I don't miss any games as I'm a season ticket holder but I usually prefer watching at home and I frequent Hockeyfights.com to get better view of bouts as I'm a big fan of the fighting aspect of hockey. So please, you out to lunch.

Eh that seems a little extreme. Just because a fight isn't right after a dirty hit doesn't mean it's not justified. Say a guy is chirping a lot, or made a dirty hit in a previous game or shift, or is taking runs at your star players. Technically they aren't doing anything illegal, but it should be acceptable to fight them. I think if you penalized fights after a clean hit you would have to penalize these situations too. So where do you draw the line?

Sestito didn't have to oblige Nolan, that's his choice. Seems there's a lot of doubt about what's a "clean hit" these days anyhow. So long as there's a chance for the guy to get his gloves off and he's not just getting jumped like happened to Weise in Chicago, that was cheap stuff there, or it's a heavyweight going after a guy who's not so much of a fighter, it doesn't bother me.

People who want to get rid of "staged fights" and "fights after hits" are just a stalking horse for getting rid of fighting entirely, well, that ain't gonna happen.

When was the last time you seen a Sedin in a fight? It doesn't happen. Or Kesler? Once again not going to happen. It was a tough fourth line player... he makes a hit, then gets challenged to a fight. You are reading way too much into this.

Trust me, I know lucic and he's not scared of anyone on the Canucks team. We don't have any feared fighters bc they don't win easily. And to me lucic not even a goon he's like kassian power fwd that can fight

Mr. dirtydingles the homer or d rider, prob thinks sesito got the better of Mcgratton just now. dude is out to lunch thinking weise n lap winning majority of their fights.

I agree with the OP - it's a bull$#!t development in the NHL - a clean hit is a clean hit. If an idiot is taking reckless runs at your players, by all means, someone needs to do respond (since apparently NHL officials don't understand their role), but this prevalency to act as though a player either refrains from throwing a big hit or must answer the bell is garbage. Players who don't fight nevertheless throw hits - attempting to deter players from throwing clean hits by over-reacting every time someone gets nailed is crap, and it cheapens the game. Clean hits are part of the game - deal with it like men (not punks) and play the game, take the player's number, and drill them back if and when you get an opportunity.

Archived