The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks a better "team" with Kesler not in the line up?

5nothincanucksohno

This thread isn't about how well Kesler's playing, it's about the team. Kesler's been great with 5 points in 7 games (bad -4 though).

For whatever reason, Hansen and Raymond elevate their game when Kesler's not here. Probably because they're getting more, quality ice-time but also because they understand their responsibilities to score. The same can be said for Higgins. Our secondary scorers simply lift their game when Kesler's out.

I'd honestly like to see Kesler get given a shot with the Sedins. Obviously this team is thin enough at center as it is, but it would force guys like Burrows, Raymond, Hansen, Booth, Higgins and Kassian to carry more of a load and play better.

A lot of people have criticized Louie in the past for having a big ego and needing his tires pumped up but IMO Kesler is the epitome of the big ego type. I think he thinks he is better than he his. And although he is a good player, there are many more who bring more to the table with his style of play and still remain healthy.

It's almost like he wants to be hurt and continue playing so that people can say "wow Kesler was playing hurt? He's so tough!" If he was so tough he wouldn't be such a whiner.

Sure, call yourself tough for playing hurt, but NEWSFLASH: almost every player on the ice is playing hurt at one time or another, it's a league full of the best male hockey players in the world ie. a tough sport!

He isn't a very smart professional athlete IMO to come back while still injured and then getting injured again, or making existing injuries worse.

I for one would love management to start hearing offers on Kesler for many reasons, least of all what we could get back in assets.

To the OP I would say yes, we are a better team without Kesler in the lineup. He's a selfish, whiny, and high maintenance hockey player.

This is just an opinion and from nothing I have read...

I personally see Kesler as a cancer in the dressing room, bad attitude, diving, yapping... Constant mis-communication with management and coaches. Without Kesler the canucks have been much better then with him in the lineup and it's more then just his broken foot. I think Kesler needs to be traded else where, and we all know there is a market for him. Maybe something along the lines of...

To FLO: Ryan Kesler and Roberto Luongo

To VAN: Nick Bjustad, Jon Huberdeau and Scott Clemmensen

No.

Look at the opponents we played with him versus when he was out. He played well and contributed offensively while skating on a broken foot while in the lineup. The last road trip travel was ridiculous , we had a flu bug sweep through the team and Bieksa was out for a few of them.

I think the key is to find a couple of wingers to play consistently with Kesler and stick with it for awhile. I liked the Kassian Booth Kesler line and wish it has been given a little more time to gel. I'm not sure I like Booth with Kesler but I thought Kassian has shown some good playmaking skills and that it might come together.

i give kess props for playing through the pain.

but camping out on the second line and powerplay when your not at your best is not helping your team.

stats and egos aside, it should not have taken an mri to see that he was not at his best.

any player for that matter should not be ridden into the ground when its not needed.

evey player will tell you they are ready to go.

thats why i am happy to see how this team is looking after manny.

sorry i changed topic but i think there is a common thread.

No. Kesler has played brilliantly with this line up before. He just needs time to adjust.

That being said, I see how this team played yesterday with dominance and fire. Adding Kesler into the lineup would shake up the dynamic.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Booth - Lapierre - Sestito/Weise

Not a statement but a question put forward for discussion.

Obviously Kesler is one of the best (if not the best) athletes on the Canucks but does the team have better all around chemistry when he is not in the line up?

If so what is the trick to Kesler better fitting in the line up? Should Gillis look for another center and have Kesler move to the wing?

He really came into his own playing beside Sundin. I believe it was Sammy and Raymond who played beside him during his 40 goal season? Maybe we just miss a good veteran presence...someone like Sammy or Sundin?

Thoughts?

Flame away...

Basically for the people who say we're better without Kesler are saying Raymond > Kesler. and at centre too. LOLLL

When Kesler was injured in the SCF we couldn't even find a way to hit the Bruins let alone score a goal. Kesler is an amazing, physical centre (who I get needs to pass more or maybe play wing) and would be a first line centre on a lot of other teams. Kesler in the lineup makes this team go from average to elite. So no, we are not better without Kes.

This is just an opinion and from nothing I have read...

I personally see Kesler as a cancer in the dressing room, bad attitude, diving, yapping... Constant mis-communication with management and coaches. Without Kesler the canucks have been much better then with him in the lineup and it's more then just his broken foot. I think Kesler needs to be traded else where, and we all know there is a market for him. Maybe something along the lines of...

To FLO: Ryan Kesler and Roberto Luongo

To VAN: Nick Bjustad, Jon Huberdeau and Scott Clemmensen

Honestly not a bad trade proposal. You have some good posts, but I disagree about Kesler being a cancer. He's one of the leaders on the team and works harder on and off the ice them most. I want to keep Kesler, he's had a run of bad injury luck lately and I think that has frustrated some fans.

To Van:

Bjustad, Clemmensen, 1st round pick

To Florida:

Luongo, Raymond (trade while healthy and value is high)

Basically for the people who say we're better without Kesler are saying Raymond > Kesler. and at centre too. LOLLL

When Kesler was injured in the SCF we couldn't even find a way to hit the Bruins let alone score a goal. Kesler is an amazing, physical centre (who I get needs to pass more or maybe play wing) and would be a first line centre on a lot of other teams. Kesler in the lineup makes this team go from average to elite. So no, we are not better without Kes.

Archived