The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks a better "team" with Kesler not in the line up?

5nothincanucksohno

I guess i can kind of see it. but I think it has a lot to do with his shoot first style of play and the lack of and playmaking wingers on the team minus Daniel. Shoot first players are the hardest to work with chemistry wise IMO.

I know they'd never try it but it could be interesting to try

22-33-17

21-45-14

20-40-9

7-acquisition or pinni if he works out-36

29 / 32 against bigger teams

Could provide a more balanced lineup for the roles of the players we have, especially if AV wants to match top lines like last night.

The Canucks are better with Kesler in the lineup. I don't see how having an Ebbett or Sesito over a Kesler is better. That being said, its amazing how the team is winning with Kesler out if the lineup as compared to him being on it. And this has nothing to do with Keslers play bc he does have points on the pp and little on 5 in 5. It's just the other players trailed off in production when he came. I think rayray, Schroeder and kassian trailed off a lot. So I guess u can say it has an affect on the chemistry of the team by adding another player into the lineup. But it can all be a concidence, and kesler comes back healthy and everyone is producing.

Not a statement but a question put forward for discussion.

Obviously Kesler is one of the best (if not the best) athletes on the Canucks but does the team have better all around chemistry when he is not in the line up?

If so what is the trick to Kesler better fitting in the line up? Should Gillis look for another center and have Kesler move to the wing?

He really came into his own playing beside Sundin. I believe it was Sammy and Raymond who played beside him during his 40 goal season? Maybe we just miss a good veteran presence...someone like Sammy or Sundin?

Thoughts?

Flame away...

Kesler is a good player for sure and you'd rather have him over players like Ebbet and Sestito. However, I really think he needs to look at himself in the mirror personally. He's over his head ever since the Nashville series and thinks he can do it all himself whenever he plays. Also, he really needs to clean up his act and get it together especially with the diving. It is really hurting the Canucks image. I would definitely not want to trade him because of the fact of how good we all know he can be. You don't win the Selke trophy just by luck. Ask Daystuk! However if he doesn't clean up his on ice antics and plays a team game, I wouldn't be pissed to see him being traded. He's at his prime right now, its now or never for him.

In terms of injuries, I do fear that he has become very injury prone, but I hope I am wrong in that.

Kesler out of line up (start up season): 8-2-2 record

Kesler returns: 2-3-2 record

Kesler out of line up again: 1-0 record.

My opinions on the situation:

1) Kesler and Raymond need to STAY away from each other. I absolutely hate them both playing together. Raymond playing with a playmaking C like Schroeder is much more team effective than having Raymond play on a line with more people like him.

2) Kesler has had 2 major off season surgeries and is now injured again. He is playing in WAY too many game situations: Powerplay, 2nd line, penalty kill. Coaches/management need to start protecting their assets better and start giving some of these responsibilities to other, less expensive and important players.

I'm not a huge Kesler fan. But a big part of that is because he keeps playing with players who are way too similar to his style of play. Also the fact he's probably going to ruin his body with the many minutes he gets and style of play.

Can't forget the diving too. I just can't respect divers.

Kesler is a great player, however, I do agree that he is not providing good chemistry with the team.

Ever since he got his 40 goal season, he's been a puck hog and trying to play solo superstar like Ovechkin. He also plays far too many minutes a game.

Kesler is kind of stuck between being a goal scorer and a shutdown player. Sure, guys like Toews can handle doing both, but Kesler needs to stick with one.

I think Kesler should focus on going back to shutdown guy taking defensive zone faceoffs with Higgins and Hansen. If he plays that role well, the points will come naturally. He can also play on the #1 PP with Sedins.

However, I think Kesler has too much pride to be going back to a shutdown role.

Kesler out of line up (start up season): 8-2-2 record

Kesler returns: 2-3-2 record

Kesler out of line up again: 1-0 record.

My opinions on the situation:

1) Kesler and Raymond need to STAY away from each other. I absolutely hate them both playing together. Raymond playing with a playmaking C like Schroeder is much more team effective than having Raymond play on a line with more people like him.

2) Kesler has had 2 major off season surgeries and is now injured again. He is playing in WAY too many game situations: Powerplay, 2nd line, penalty kill. Coaches/management need to start protecting their assets better and start giving some of these responsibilities to other, less expensive and important players.

I'm not a huge Kesler fan. But a big part of that is because he keeps playing with players who are way too similar to his style of play. Also the fact he's probably going to ruin his body with the many minutes he gets and style of play.

Can't forget the diving too. I just can't respect divers.

Yup, I said it before the LA game. The Canucks lost every game with him in the line up and they were kicking butt when he was out, and then hes injured again and they win again...umm yeah..Kesler is so over rated, and nobody can play with him, which screws up the chemistry of the team. I wish they would just trade him and get it over with. Never been a Kesler fan. They also dont get any penalty calls go their way when hes playing too..cuz the refs know hes a diver...Pls get rid of this douche!

Complete mixed feelings regarding Kesler, but if the right deal were there, I'd do it. Would have done it last year, before his NTC, for the right player/combination of players (ie. Eberle)

Philly has always wanted Kesler, who signed their offersheet.

Kesler for Couturier and a 1st.

Archived