The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You're GM: Arniel/Ruff vs. AV/Bowness

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, so this is not an anti-AV thread.

I'm purposely posting it after a win because after a loss this forum is hysterical.

It's just a question that happened in a discussion I had with somebody else recently.

The question is: If you were GM, would you fire AV + staff and hire Ruff + staff next time there's a reason to (4 straight loses, a 9-3 loss, something of that ilk)?

There's lots of reasons to support AV and staff and there's many reasons to think there should be a change, so I am wondering what your thoughts are.

Here's some stats just to think about (again I'm not siding either way, I'm just curious).

Ruff + Arniel coached together in Buffalo for three seasons. Pre-lockout they had 2 season where Bufffalo did not make the playoffs. The first year post-lockout, which seemed to suit a team that Regier had given them they went 54-27-6 and made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs. Ruff won Jack Adams with Arniel as his assistant that year.

Arniel as a head coach has only coached CBJ did not have too much success.

He took the Moose to the finals and had success with some current Canucks:

Schneider put up unbelievable numbers under him

Jannik Hansen had 43 points in 50 AHL games one year

Raymond had 17 points in 20 games one year

Kassian has 20 points in 28 games this year with the Arniel coached Wolves.. Schroeder has 19 in 30 (incl. 9 goals).

Lindy Ruff as a head coach has made it the CF 3 times, and the SCF once. As an assistant in Florida he also went to the finals.

AV's stats are well-documented here. He took the Canucks to game 7, has won the NW div. multiple times, has won two President's trophies, is the winningest coach in Vancouver history and 7th amongst active coaches.

Bowness went 2-12 with a horrible PHX team last time he was a head coach.. but also previously coached the Bruins to a CF appearance. Out of 9 NHL seasons (or part of) that he was a head coach his team made the playoffs 1 time - but he did not have stacked teams by any means.

So, what do you think? One common argument for keeping AV (amongst many) is that there is no able coach to replace him out there, but now Ruff is out there. What would you do?

Or, C) Hire Nolan Baumgartner

/sarcasm

As much as I like to think that if/when I coach a team I wouldn't do it the same way as AV, he is obviously doing something right. It wasn't his fault we hit a hot goalie in the SCF and didn't win it all. If Thomas wasn't so hot I bet no one is even having this talk.

Even with his lack of displayed emotion, I still think he gives us the best chance at winning this year.

Or, C) Hire Nolan Baumgartner

/sarcasm

As much as I like to think that if/when I coach a team I wouldn't do it the same way as AV, he is obviously doing something right. It wasn't his fault we hit a hot goalie in the SCF and didn't win it all. If Thomas wasn't so hot I bet no one is even having this talk.

Even with his lack of displayed emotion, I still think he gives us the best chance at winning this year.

Exactly, but at the same time, who knows if any other coach would have had less success. There is no way of knowing, but only guessing.

The Canucks are coming off a President's trophy, but also a 1st round/5 game playoff the exit a year after a SCF appearance. Do the Canucks need a new voice on the bench or like you said, does AV give the best chance?

Archived